Sponsored by:

Help! Lost fob, can't bypass immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Davis Pan
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help! Lost fob, can't bypass immobilizer

I have a 1995 993 (manufacture date in 1995) and lost my only working fob. I've done a search and read all the relevant threads, to no avail. I can't even bypass the immobilizer to start the car. When I use the key to do a unlock-lock-unlock sequence, the alarm sounds and doesn't go off so I can't proceed with the procedure. I learned the door doesn't unlock with the key unless you pull the door-open trigger. If I do the unlock-lock-unlock while pulling the trigger, the alarm doesn't sound, but it goes off when I open the door. If I do the unlock-lock-unlock while not pulling the trigger, the alarm goes off as soon as I do the first unlock, plus the door remains locked. Has anyone been through this before? If so, can you please offer some tips on starting the car?

By the way, the door blinker does a double blink. That may be ok because it is correctly indicating that the alarm has been triggered.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:48 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Good luck but I'd be surprised if anyone posts help publicly. Any advice given to help bypass the immobilizer would help thieves steal an already highly stolen vehicle.

Your best bet may be to contact your Porsche dealer and maybe they can help after you prove ownership of the car.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:00 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kreeshp
Your best bet may be to contact your Porsche dealer and maybe they can help after you prove ownership of the car.
Thats the best advice at this moment. You need a replacement remote control in order to disable the alarm, not to mention the Immobilizer (which can be disabled, after the fact).

A dealer will be able to get a new one and program it for your car.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:28 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts
Default This should help

Look at the procedure for when no fob is available:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Old 08-30-2015, 09:12 PM
Davis Pan
Advanced

Originally Posted by pp000830
Look at the procedure for when no fob is available:
I'm very well aware of those instructions. The problem is I can't get past step 2; the alarm sounds, but much longer than "momentarily".
Old 08-30-2015, 09:17 PM
Davis Pan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Thats the best advice at this moment. You need a replacement remote control in order to disable the alarm, not to mention the Immobilizer (which can be disabled, after the fact).

A dealer will be able to get a new one and program it for your car.
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying the dealer can get a new fob and program the FOB so it works for my car?

Otherwise I would have to get the car towed to the dealer so they can reprogram the immobilizer. I have 2 extra fobs, which I got with the car, but the previous owner never programmed the immobilizer to accept them. I have instructions on how to reprogram the immobilizer so it works for additional fobs, they don't seem to work in my case because I'm getting double links on the door LED.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:19 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Davis Pan, When you buy a new remote control unit, get two of them. Because the cost having the dealer reprogram your car to accept the new units will be the same for one or two controls.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:20 PM
Davis Pan
Advanced

Originally Posted by kreeshp
Good luck but I'd be surprised if anyone posts help publicly. Any advice given to help bypass the immobilizer would help thieves steal an already highly stolen vehicle.

I probably wasn't clear: I already talked to the dealer, proved that I owned the car, and they gave me the 4 digit immobilizer code. The problem is the immobilizer instructions don't seem to work, maybe because of the double-blinking door LED. I'm not able to use the instructions printed in the owners manual to disable the immobilizer and start the car using that code.

If I understand some of the other posts correctly, the immobilizer seems to only disable the starter. Since I can get into the car and it is a manual transmission, maybe I can push start it? At least that way I can drive it to the dealer.

Last edited by Davis Pan; 08-30-2015 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 08-30-2015, 09:54 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Davis Pan
I'm very well aware of those instructions. The problem is I can't get past step 2; the alarm sounds, but much longer than "momentarily".
It may be that you car is a pre 96 and so has an alternate programing process.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:21 PM
Davis Pan
Advanced

Originally Posted by pp000830
It may be that you car is a pre 96 and so has an alternate programing process.
The owner's manual that came with the car describes an almost identical procedure to start the car without a fob, by using a 4 digit immobilizer code. I'm pretty sure I'm not the first person to lose the last fob for their car. What did other people do, tow the car to a dealer?

Last edited by Davis Pan; 08-30-2015 at 10:21 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 08-30-2015, 10:32 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 412 Likes on 258 Posts

I went to a dealer. Got my immobilizer code. Turns out they gave me the wrong code. You see, there are multiple four digit codes associated with the car. They picked the wrong one.

Dealer's don't actually know what they are doing with these cars.

I'd go to a different dealer and try again.

/
Old 08-30-2015, 10:33 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 412 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Davis Pan
Since I can get into the car and it is a manual transmission, maybe I can push start it? At least that way I can drive it to the dealer.

/
Old 08-31-2015, 12:59 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

By the way, the door blinker does a double blink. That may be ok because it is correctly indicating that the alarm has been triggered.
...so there was no problem with your car before loosing the fob, correct?

I am trying to understand why the led is double blinking, if there was no prior issue?

A double blinking led indicates an issue with the alarm/immobilizer; otherwise it will reset itself in 3 mins., and go back to single blinks if there are no system issues.

The alarm being triggered is not considered an issue with the system.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:07 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fatmike
e. You see, there are multiple four digit codes associated with the car.

/
Yes, the radio and immobilizer codes are different 4 digit #s. Worth a try to go back to a dealer. Ask for both codes.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:15 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

According to this post "the alarm system must pass its self check before you can program the key fob..."

I would recommend you address your "double flash" problem first. Based on the WSM, it says the double flash is caused by a fault condition. A Porsche tester (or UDT999) can give you a signal of what is causing the fault, whether it's a door, hood, glove box, radio, etc. Beyond that, a little trial and error my help you find the problem. Do you have an aftermarket radio?

Quick Reply: Help! Lost fob, can't bypass immobilizer