Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Market Meltdown - Good or Bad for Classic 993 Prices?/

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:03 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my '96 993 back in 2007 and I regret doing so ... not because of value but because of missing the thrills it gave me driving through the mountains of New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine. It had just turned 100k on the clock and it sold to a buyer in Amsterdam within 24 hrs of the posting it on the interweb [as Richard Rawlins would say]. If I have an opportunity to buy another 993 in the future, I would do so for the same reason that I bought my previous 993 ... it is just a hoot to drive!
Old 08-30-2015, 04:57 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ezdriver
I sold my '96 993 back in 2007 and I regret doing so ... not because of value but because of missing the thrills it gave me driving through the mountains of New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine.
+1; just returned from those same mountains this week. Hit the coast up from Boston and mid week headed west to the area around Bethel, ME. What a blast. Lots of newly paved roads as well. Odometer about to click 130,000
Old 08-30-2015, 06:08 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by soundbehindyou
With portfolios plummeting, will investors go to more tangibles such as real estate and classic 993 cars? Or will the lack of financial confidence put a screeching halt on recent aggressive price escalation? Thoughts?
For people with serious money, the price of a 993 is nothing...and that includes the turbos. The market sell off may have distracted them for a few days, but Monday was a minor hiccup. When the real correction comes to the 40 year plus credit distortions of the free market...on that day you will see real blood not just paper losses. On that day all prices will go into free fall as assets are sacrificed in a manic search for cash. On the other hand, if you bought and own and drive a 993 because it is something you love... than none of this matters and shouldn't impact on your one way or the other.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:11 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
If you want to see the value bull**** meter peaked at full scale get hold of a magazine called Sports Car Market and you will puke. Everything in their screed is all about ownership to dick wave while you make money displaying your car in shows, but don't drive the car because putting dreaded "miles" on a car is considered a criminal offense
I remember when that was a neat little magazine. I dropped it when it morphed into the crap it is today.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:15 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
For people with serious money, the price of a 993 is nothing...and that includes the turbos. The market sell off may have distracted them for a few days, but Monday was a minor hiccup. When the real correction comes to the 40 year plus credit distortions of the free market...on that day you will see real blood not just paper losses. On that day all prices will go into free fall as assets are sacrificed in a manic search for cash. On the other hand, if you bought and own and drive a 993 because it is something you love... than none of this matters and shouldn't impact on your one way or the other.
I couldn't believe all the 911s (along with plenty of other types) that were for sale after 2008 - the market was flooded! I picked up my '84 in 2008 for $12,000 - it's easily double that (probably more) now.
Not saying the market is going to tank but if it does they will be plenty of cars to choose from.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:40 AM
OnFire
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JDHertz11, unfortunately I am selling my 1995 C2 6 speed, but it's a track car. Take a look in the RSR build thread.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:51 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

from what i have seen, collector car market has survived worse
Old 09-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
I find it boring that what was a hobby when I was a kid seems to have turned into a business today.

At Monterey Car Week people seemed more interested in the value of their car as an investment rather than its value as a car to drive and have fun with.

Sad to me.
That's why a lot of people with the money and the car's still don't "Get" this hobby. Many are just rich ******** who use cars to invest their money! Notice how car values Spiked after the housing bubble popped... about 2006! It wasn't all at once and there were gaps in timing but some analysis shows this.

First house I bought in 2009 was $83K. Before that it was sold for $255K. Two years after I bought it, it was worth only $50K. But the house has rebounded to where it was when I bought it.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MHT T10's?

Quick Reply: Market Meltdown - Good or Bad for Classic 993 Prices?/