Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 01:43 PM
Sputnik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Self Activation

Hello everyone,

I hope everything is OK for you!

Last night I was waked up three times by car alarm on my 1995 993.
All neighbors are pissed off. My wife pissed off. I tried to explain them that
the car probably had a bad dream...and cried being asleep....my poor baby!

On a serious note...What could be a reason for unexplained self activation of alarm?
The wiring harness was done 6 months ago. ...and the only electrical modification is the stereo amplifier...which was installed by professionals about 4 moths ago....no problems with alarm till last night...as a matter of fact on of my co-workers said me last week that he saw my car alarming on parking lot...but then it stopped...that means this night wasn't probably first.....
Thanks!
Old 09-18-2003, 12:33 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it's unusual to hear a car alarm going off when someone's actually trying to break into/steal a car , but you're sure that wasn't being attempted, I presume?

Otherwise, could be a weak battery, bad ground, or any number of things. If you have any kind of aftermarket alarm with a motion sensor, could have been a cat/animal walking across the hood, etc.

Obviously if it keeps happening you'll want to have the car checked out for any potential electrical problems...

-Chris
Old 09-18-2003, 03:33 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If it does keep up, do check it out as opposed to just shutting it off...that is a trick of thieves too...keep bothering someone until they finally shut it off, then they can quietly steal it.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:00 PM
Cy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Sputnik:

I also have a 95 and was having problems with the alarm self-activating. My problem was wiring harness-related, which may not help you much as you stated you had your harness replaced.

My symptoms related to water, either by rain or washing. It was perplexing at first as even after driving in heavy rain (i.e. everything should be well soaked), the car would have to be parked for 5 to 30 minutes before the harness shorted and set the alarm off. Then it would keep going off randomly until I came back to the car and unlocked it. So for the first several times, all I knew was when I returned to my car the alarm was going off. Eventually I figured out the problem during washing.

The short was affecting the ignition system and putting the car into what was similar to the "system check" mode when when you insert the key and turn to the first position (i.e. all the dash lights would come on). I wonder how close I was to the situation others experienced where the starter motor would self-engage. Also, I never experienced symptoms or drivability issues while the car was running.

After the wiring harness was replaced (kindly replaced by Jim Ellis for free before months before the recall), the problem was fixed.

Anyway, probably won't help you but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case and for the archives.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Alarm Self Activation