Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Smog Results - San Francisco, CA - 1996 C2 (OBDII)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 06:00 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Smog Results - San Francisco, CA - 1996 C2 (OBDII)

This morn I realized this week that I had 2 weeks left to pass smog.

What better excuse to go for a 2 hour drive early this AM up and down Skyline Blvd and on King's Mountain road? Listen to that Fister II exhaust blatt-blatt-ricochet everywhere ..... Time to get the catalytic converter HOT HOT HOT..... Saw a bunch of Alfas @ Alice's. Saw another gentleman enjoying himself in his 996 GT3 on 280 North.

The old air-cooled motor passed well within reasonable limits. 52K miles on the car.

I thought I'd do a big plug for the gang at the "South SF 76 Smog Station" --- rolled in at 9am and was out by 9:20am. These guys have handled all my cars over the years, including a goofball grey market Citroen CX. They know enthusiast cars well (the main guy is Subaru nut) and they always take care to let me know if the readiness flags are set *before* the test. Highly recommended.

Anyways --- with all the talk on setting the OBDII readiness flags, I thought I'd note that this past year I had to do the OBDII readiness drive cycle twice because the battery got disconnected twice (once for head unit re-install, and another time from the engine drop / trans replacement).

I always park rear-end first into the garage, and I always have to do the drive cycle twice, both from a cold start. The hardest part ---- the 3m.15s section between 20-30mph --- I always do on Sloat Blvd early in the mornings from 19th ave to the zoo. That's the hardest one --- difficult to find enough space in the city to do this.

I thought I'd post the emissions results here ----
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2015, 06:20 PM
tsky
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!

I lived in San Francisco the previous time I had to do the OBD II ready flag dance and I did the 20-30mph portion (very early morning) up on Twin Peaks going around the figure-eight several times without stopping!
Old 08-15-2015, 06:29 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Now thats clever! 50 laps of twin peaks figure eight?
Old 08-15-2015, 06:50 PM
tsky
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlaa
Now thats clever! 50 laps of twin peaks figure eight?
Haha, I can't remember how many times but it was only a few. You can go from 17th and Clayton to the top without stopping so I started timing from there. I lived near there so it was the first thing I thought of. In the other smog thread, though, I said I no longer think it must be continuous with no stopping.

Quick Reply: Smog Results - San Francisco, CA - 1996 C2 (OBDII)