Sponsored by:

NSX vs. Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 08:54 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The times I have been on I-4 in Florida it was loaded with cops. Seems you dodged a bullet (maybe jail) at those speeds, and sure glad I was not travelling on I-4. I think it is real challenge for others that may be on the road at those speeds. Save it for the track.

I had considered NSX years ago, nice car, here is a forum if you don't know about it.
<a href="http://www.nsxprime.com/" target="_blank">http://www.nsxprime.com/</a>
Old 06-06-2003, 09:57 AM
Vinny '98 3.8 C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate posting this type of stuff, because I don't want to sound like I'm bragging (please take this post as a referral to the cars and NOT my driving); the NSX is a great car, but...

I've been to two track events where nice NSX's were in my run group (two on one day, a different NSX on another), and I absolutely toasted every one. Wasn't even close, ever. It was the advanced run groups, so I have to assume that the drivers were somewhat skilled, and I'm no Schumacher, so a major part of it has to be the car.

Also, IMO there is no comparison on the style, history, and looks of the cars.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:25 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> "GEE there wasn't much difference between the C2 and my company car"- a Ford Taurus. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I can tell difference between my Porsche Carrera 993/911 and Ford Taurus. Lucky me, that it's not my company car.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:48 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I sold my stunningly beautiful 92 black on white NSX to finance the TT. The NSX was an ergonomic delight, absolutely easy to drive, and a complete joy to own.
I became interested in going to the track. My research uncovered that the brakes and suspension were lacking as well as the car being underpowered. Couple that with a big gap between 2nd and 3rd where you actually got out of the vtech (5 speed gearbox back in 92) plus the fact that there was no back seat for Grace and I started casting my eyes towards the TT.
At first I was shocked at the starkness of the TT.
Now after a year of ownership, with the TT as my daily driver I have a much stronger "gut" relationship with the TT than I ever had with the NSX.
If I could have afforded to keep the NSX as well as the TT I would have. It was a sweety.
The TT is NOT a sweety. The TT is franken-car. I respect and sometimes fear her. She is a keeper.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:29 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts
I really like the NSX. It's a great car, reliable, fast, and handles well. It was a serious alternative for me when I was car shopping.
And contrary to some other opinions above, I like the rear more than the front. The rear is distictive and like no other car. The front is, well, just like any other early 90's sporty Japanese car.

But I bought a 993. The best way to describe why is that when I drove the NSX around town, it felt almost exactly like the Acura Integra I used to own. In order to have fun, you had to really get on it. In the 993, it feels a 911 all the time.

I'll also second what Vinny said about not seeing them keep up on the track, especially in the corners. Not sure why.

Anyway, it's an awesome car and if I had the means I'd own one alongside the p-car collection.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:30 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

I toyed with the idea of getting an NSX but the biggest reason that I got the 993 over an NSX *and* and E46 M3 is the PCA, its events, and folks like you guys. On that basis alone, there simply is no comparison. The BMW club comes close but I've heard that it's not quite up to the same level and attracts a slightly different club (oh boy, I'm really putting myself out on a limb now!).

The second reason was that I was told that although the NSX has great handling, when you lose a mid-engine car, you lose it! Having driven neither to the limit, this might be pure fiction but I wasn't in the mood to find out myself if this was true.

I must say that the low-slung look of the mid-engine NSX is attractive, if somewhat dated (this coming from someone who used to own a '78 Lotus Esprit). The shifting is slick and the engine revs and sounds like an F1 engine. Maintenance I hear is Honda-like (oh, wait a minute, it *is* a Honda).

Ok, confession time: Yes, I must admit that I do get more of a kick saying "I drive/own a 911/Porsche" vs. "I drive an Acura" (yeah? So does my mom, sister, teenage son, etc.) or "I drive an NSX" (who makes that?)

Now for a diplomatic statement/disclaimer: The wonderful thing is that we have a choice as to what we drive and auto makers are only to happy to provide the different permutations of what is essentially a power unit attached to four wheels. Rennlister's are even a luckier bunch since we have the means (in my case, barely) to afford cars that many can only ogle at, be it a 911 or NSX. So, to each, his or her own.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:38 PM
GTR 993
Burning Brakes

I think some of the people who say the NSX I reliable no problems needs to do some research. I didn't buy one because of MULTILPLE serious problems occur. The A/C wiring apparently on a very large percentage of cars shorts the whole dash out and has the potential to catch fire. Snap ring failure on the transmission is also very common. When looking for a NSX I did not find one single car that didn't have wiring problems from the dash all the way through the engine. I bought a 993 instead. The NSX looks good but is not very reliable in my opinion.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:33 PM
MarkC
Instructor

I bought my '95 993 just over 3yrs ago after initally searching for an NSX. I've had a thing for them since the first spy shots started appearing in the motoring press in 1989. The Ayrton Senna (my all time racing hero) connection also fuelled my interest in the early days, and it's an itch that will have to be scratched at some point.
In the UK NSX's are even rarer than in the US, total sales of less than 500 cars in 12yrs, so in 4 months of looking I only managed to see 4 cars in my price bracket.
However, if you're visiting prestige motor dealers searching for an NSX you will see a LOT of Porsches and this is how I came round to the idea of the 993.
Also, after driving a '98 3.2 6spd NSX (out of my price range at the time) there was no settling for an earlier car. The 6spd 'box, itself a tactile delight, ensures that the glorious VTEC, 4Cam, V6 never falls out of the 5-8Krevs zone where the power is, and what a fantastic sound they make up at these revs.

So, I'm a BIG fan.... BUT... I wouldn't sell my 993 to fund an NSX.

The Porsche works it's way under your skin and you get inexorably sucked into the whole Porsche ownership experience. Now that my 993 has the motorsound airbox and RSR exhausts, it can easily hold it's own in the aural pleasure stakes. Surely these are the 2 finest 6 cylinder engines in existance and no I'm not forgetting BMW'S M3 6 pot and Alfa Romeo's V6 motors!

I've since driven several NSX's back to back with my 993 and they're a very differant animals albeit with very similar ulimate performance.
A 3.2 or JDM spec 3.0 (shorter gearing) will probably just about see off a 993 (NA of course) in a straight line, and on UK ie bumpy roads it is easier to push hard in.
On track, the rolls reverse and the NSX understeers (pushes) more and the brakes wilt much earlier than the 993.

One day a 98/99 3.2 NSX (I'm not a fan of the new front), possibly even a JDM Type S/S Zero (lighter, stripped out RS style) will sit next to my 993.... I very much look forward to making the choice of which one to take to work on a daily basis
Old 06-06-2003, 07:54 PM
MarkC
Instructor

Greg,

I'm not sure you're being entirely fair to NSX on the reliability front. In general they're extremely reliable but the Civic/Accord level servicing bills are a myth, almost all NSX parts are very expensive.
The "snap ring" failure was limited to a certain production run of gearbox casings on cars built in '91 and the wiring fault is certainly no worse that the '94/95 993 engine harness debacle!
I should know about the latter, I've had 2 harness's replaced in the 3 yrs I've had the 993... still love it to bits though!!

Mark
Old 06-06-2003, 09:19 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
I have no doubts the NSX is a great car to drive. But to me it looks like a Ferrari-wannabe. A Japanese copy of Italian design that already looks outdated, not timeless. That's just my opinion, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I respect my 993 as much for it's heritage as it's performance & shape.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:27 AM
N105DVV
Instructor

The release of the original NSX cused quite a stir in the motoring world. It is true that the late great Mr. Senna was heavily involved in the develpoment programme. A spin off from the F1 programme at the time i believe. The launch caused the europeans to go running back to their development teams and designers. Honda had created quite a machine at their first attempt. A supercar that anyone could drive. Call it the everyday supercar. It was no Ferarri copy.

Development still continues and it is raced extensively here in Japan, along with the defunkt Supra and various Skylines, in the JPGT series. More about that in another thread perhaps?

I tend to agree with a lot of other comments in this thread. I would like one of course, but wouldnt sell the 993 to fund it.

BR/Phil...
Old 06-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts
Had one when younger and liked it alot, but know I have a 6 and 7 year old and need a back seat. Sounded sweet. Could have used just a little more power though.

Someone metioned that it does not lok like anything else from the back. Actually, the back remind me of a 959 when looking at it dead on from the back. Check out the back of a 959 and see if you don't see a resemblance.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:24 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quite a lively topic. Never driven a NSX but the Honda website for Type-R (second generation)gives you a taste of what the engine sounds like at full chat. Love to hear it in person. I guess the "ordinary" NSX doesn't give the special feel of an exclusive sportscar but the type-S Zero and the type-R do a better job. I personally intend to buy a Type-R in the future. I do however own a 993RS which is for keeps.

Harry
Old 06-07-2003, 07:37 PM
Shiloh
Intermediate

This is Shiloh - hopefully, my next car is 2003 TT; right now the budget is maxed out. I wish I never made that Ford Taurus comment.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts
Just went and drove a NSX due to this discussion. I found one last night on ebay that was here locally. It was a 96 Targa with 30k miles and I was thinking it would be fun to have it is a weekend driver. I cranked it up and it sounded aweful and vibrated. Smoothed out a bit, but seemed lacking in power. Wish it drove as nice as it looked. I am thinking a Mondial convertible now. That would be fun as an occassional driver and has a back seat for the kids.

Quick Reply: NSX vs. Porsche