Cdr220 Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 09:49 PM
NickC4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cdr220 Install

Just got my new CDR220. Took out the old Alpine unit - from previous owner - over the weekend in anticipation. However, in the dark, and not wishing to push and shove too much, the unit is short of going flush by 1/2 inch!

Looking in the dash there looks like a bracket that could be impeding the unit sliding home. Given up for tonight, hoping a fellow Rennlister has been this way before.

Anyone fit one of these units? Do I need to pull any parts out of the dash?

Nick
Old 09-15-2003, 10:53 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nick
The Alpine & the Becker each use a different mounting "cage" - the metal sleeve assembly into which the radio slides. You'll need to remove the Alpine cage & install the Becker. If you don't have one, I'm sure it can be purchased from Becker or maybe someone here has one from a replaced broken unit.
BTW, if the Becker is for a Porsche, it should have an alarm connection (see pic below) on the cage so the radio anti-theft function of the alarm will work. More about that in this thread on the radio alarm wiring.

Last edited by Dan 96C2 St.Louis; 09-15-2003 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:14 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts

Dan is correct about removing the pictured unit. but if your problem is in the last inch of travel:
with the head unit out, shine a flashlight in the "hole". you will see some one inch wide metal tabs that support the back of the head unit.
what happened when inserting my deck was that the large cable of wires would curl up and get caught between the head unit and one of the tabs, restricting it from going in all of the way. Once i figured this out, i just reached up with one hand from underneath to pull on the wiring harness as i pushed the head unit in with the other hand.
good luck, Max
Old 09-16-2003, 01:17 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Max is right on - in fact if you don't have to do that, well, you are very lucky. In addition, on each side of the unit itself are some sliding tabs (blue, I think) that need to also be set properly.

Quick Reply: Cdr220 Install