Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Doubled Down" My Porsche Bet

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 09:16 AM
JohnM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny old world (or funny old board) if someone has to make apologies for buying a 996TT!

Great car Fred, congratulations. Judging by some of the projects over on the 996TT board the slippery slope in a TT is every bit as steep as for a 993, how long do you think you'll go before the urge to tweak something can not be ignored...
Old 09-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

John M.

First mod is to have X-Pel installed this weekend to prevent the inevitable stone chips that are likely to occur over the next few years. From there, a ROW or similar suspension to lower the car to proper height would be in order. I'm not a big supporter of big horsepower increases. Folks with 500, 600 and now even 700 hp claims have me baffled. More TORQUE can be used most any time, traction permitted. But 700 hp? An engine is likely to only see that much load on a dyno or at the Bonneville salt flats. I think 415 hp and 415 lb-ft will suit my needs for a long time to come.

Cheers,
Old 09-17-2003, 10:03 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fred,

TT is not "pimp model" at all, I didn't mean to say that, nor "bash" you. Not at all.
For your use, you decide if TT is better than GT3 (and very cool color BTW, not because I have G. Red but you rarely see that in 996s and even less TTs, great choise!). After all, it's your car so it's your choise.

IMO, TT Cab is litlle "pimp" and I was just "wenting" my disappointment with some US Porsche buyers who don't get models like GT3 and ruin them with too much stuff (I'm sure there is somewhere GT3 with subwoofers, DVDs etc...) or cancel their order when they realize what it doesn't have.

Porsche IMO already has gone too far with cupholders etc. so when there's finally a model that's not so "pimp" (and I know GT3 has cupholders), I wish it would stay like that and Porsche owners here would understand better what it is.

Lot of people are disappointed because GT3RS isn't coming here but since GT3 seems to be too "hard core" (it really isn't hard core, it's just that people are so used to all luxury items that they think it is hard core) for so many people I wonder what they'd think about GT3RS after they realize that they can't have all the amenities they're used to.

BTW, this is not to say all the porsche owners are like that, not at all.

Enjoy your new toy!
Old 09-17-2003, 10:22 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The latest Panorama has an article re: the GT3 in which Joe Rusz concludes, "Can man find true happiness using a GT3 as his daily driver? Only if that person truly enjoys driving, not merely aiming a car. Knowing how to drive, perhaps having some racing experience, would also help."

While many of us harbor the fantasy of driving a street legal racecar, few are actually willing to put their money where their mouth is. Fred was just being honest with himself and open to share his experience with the rest of us. I'm sure out there, there's some lucky guy who took over Fred's spot for the GT3. I wish it was me but I'm about $100,000 short in funds!

Maybe I'm getting old (heck, I'm only 32!) but we definitely spend a little too much time on this forum bashing the other variants rather than supporting the marque. Having said that, I still think the Cayenne is fair game to bashing and ridicule

Quick Reply: "Doubled Down" My Porsche Bet