Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to upgrade from 3.2 to 3.6???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 09:37 PM
dascar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to upgrade from 3.2 to 3.6???

I am seriously considering parting with my beloved 84 Carrera 3.2 coupe for a much sexier 95 993 Carrera. I have never driven one of the newer ones and am curious how many of you out there have experience with both and could tell me just how much of a difference (besides the extra $15,000) there really is. Is there significant more off-line punch (torque?) that will truly propel you from 0-60? Does it continue to pound away on the kidneys? Does it still sound sweet or is it "calmed down"? Lastly, what exactly is the MO30 Euro suspension lowering? Your feedback is much appreciated!
thanks
Old 09-14-2003, 10:06 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Time to upgrade from 3.2 to 3.6???

Originally posted by dascar
I am seriously considering parting with my beloved 84 Carrera 3.2 coupe for a much sexier 95 993 Carrera. I have never driven one of the newer ones and am curious how many of you out there have experience with both and could tell me just how much of a difference (besides the extra $15,000) there really is. Is there significant more off-line punch (torque?) that will truly propel you from 0-60? Does it continue to pound away on the kidneys? Does it still sound sweet or is it "calmed down"? Lastly, what exactly is the MO30 Euro suspension lowering? Your feedback is much appreciated!
I have gone from an '84 Carrera to a '92 Carrera 2 and now am driving a '96 Carrera 4S. Each time, it was a huge leap forward in terms of drivability, performance and technological advancement. The 911 has evolved nicely into a much more civilized performance machine and one that can be driven faster.

As to the Euro M030, It is the factory "sport chassis" option for the ROW. The major difference between the ROW and US M030 is the ride height which is 30 mm.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:20 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Hi, dascar,

I am sure you will get a chance to drive a few before you buy. I had an '85 Carrera before I bought my 993. The 993 is much, much faster than the Carrera and shifts more precisely and easily than my old 915 gearbox with worn 1st and 2nd gear synchros. I think there's one second or more difference from zero to 60 and, although it doesn't sound significant, yes, there are 50 ft-lbs more torque than the 3.2. If I was happy with the performance of the Carrera, and I was, you should have seen my face when I run through gears of the 3.6 motor. Rock 'n' roll!!

My older 911 had some sort of Bilstein sport shock on it, so it actually drove more roughly than my 993 with the standard suspension. Several passengers told me the newer car rode more plushly than the older car. Bear in mind that my shocks were toast by the time the 993 came to me, so I quickly upgraded to the dialable Bilstein PSS-9 coil overs.

Sound. Well, I guess you can't have everything since IMHO the Carrera sounded noisy, musical and a bit raucous. I loved it and miss the mechanical symphony of my old car. I've read here that Porsche tried to make the 993 quieter for Euro noise regs and that they succeeded a bit too much. Running through the gears in the 3.2 reminded me of the soundtrack of "LeMans" and that unique Porsche verve. I have Robin Sun's vaunted RSR mufflers (modified stock mufflers) and am happy with the sonic improvement, but I find myself wanting more mechanical sound, not necessarily more exhaust noise.

Another thing I miss about the old car is the manual steering's precise and perfectly weighted feel. Although a tad heavy when parallel parking, at any speed above five mph, it felt unfiltered and hardwired to my brain. The 993's steering is too light for my tastes, even though this is a non-issue for me when I track the car. I just like maximum road feel.

The 993 valves don't need periodic adjustment, and the oil cooling system has been improved. You will find that the dashboard is mostly unchanged from your car, except for center console and climate control switches. AC operation is fantastic in 90 degree+ heat. Oh, yeah, the 993 is also the porkiest of all of the 911 variants, including the heavier-looking 996.

Although I have not regretted selling my Carrera and owning the 993 for a single second, some say that the 993 has lost harshness and gained refinement over the older cars. I think they're right and wish my current car had more of an edge to it. Would I trade the power for the edge? Nope. Moreover, the shape of the 993 is sooo sexy and smooth to my eyes, and according to friends who know cars as well as those whose interest in performance autos is merely cursory, the 993 is the prettiest and most visually delectable of them all.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 09-15-2003 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:24 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 911 vs 993

Great question as I just took the plunge 3 months ago and upgraded from a 1984 Carrera to a 1995 993. The new car is much faster and easier to drive at speed, however, I do miss the manual steering feel and feedback.

Overall the car is great and I enjoy the extra torque and responsiveness. I would recommend the M030 suspension option (which also lowers the car about 1 1/4 inches) and the RSR mufflers for sound quality. The ride is firm, but remarkably smooth -- I also like the 95's with OBD1 system for the easy chip upgrades and the lack of common carbon build-up problems found in the later 96 to 98 cars.

Go out and drive a few cars from 1995 to 1998 and see what you like.
Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:34 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
Default Re: 911 vs 993

Originally posted by FlatSix911
I also like the 95's with OBD1 system for the easy chip upgrades and the lack of common carbon build-up problems found in the later 96 to 98 cars.
I think our cars have the same carbon buildup problem. Fortunately, our OBDI system is too unsophisticated (stupid?) to detect it and, subsequently, activate the CEL.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:26 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 560 Posts

I did this upgrade Dec '97, and now have about equal seat time in each. All street, no track, many fun long road trips. Torque difference is noticeable, as the numbers show. Kidney pounding is as much or little as the suspension you choose, though stock is more compliant in the 993. RoW M030 with stiffer sway bars and 1.25" lowering makes a world of difference. Tamer sound is not an issue for me. I agree especially with Mark's last paragraph. I did so much prepurchase research that a 10 minute test drive was all I needed. A well maintained, even high mileage 993 is a raging bargain now.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:39 AM
lexpilot
Racer

Shameful self promotion. As previously posted I am a willing seller at $30k of a triple black 993 coupe. Chromed Turbo Twist 17" wheels make this baby a real head turner. It is not a concours car but it is very tight and clean. 71k miles and I am looking to replace my rear bumper because the valance is damaged. Most people don't notice but I do.
I'm just spoiled because I've not had a used car and I'm generally selling my cars at 5 years or 60K miles. The torque of the 993 is great and actually the ride is quite good. I would like to diminish the road noise somewhat but like the exhaust sound. If I sell I'm looking for a 996 like my neighbor's which is quieter inside. Email me if you're interested.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:05 AM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Just a bit of advice from someone that owns a 3.2...

The 993, compared to the 3.2, is a luxury machine. It has the perfect balance of raw 911 and comfort. After driving the Carrera on the track for a weekend, getting in the 993 is like getting in a Rolls (comfort wise). I can't imagine what it would be like to hop in a 996 afterwards...

Now, my 85 is a lot faster than the 993 (700 lbs lighter and about 250hp and a better suspension) around the track. I am not a 0-60 guy, so I am not too sure about those benchmarks. Apples to oranges, however, in terms of comparison.

I love the steering on the 85. Much more feedback.

That being said, you cannot go wrong with a 95 (or any 993).

Quick Reply: Time to upgrade from 3.2 to 3.6???