Sponsored by:

Am I being paranoid???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 10:30 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
To remove the smaller filter all one has to do is release the rear facing rubber duct to the heat flapper housing under the car and lower the filter out. It can be a tight fit clearance to get it out. In the past I have used a channel-lock pliers to help release the filter, now I use a filter wrench as I can use the filter wrench to snug the new filter up. Once done I hose off the oil mess involved with electric motor cleaner and button up the rubber duct. This is all done in my driveway by reaching in through the passenger side wheel well with the tire off up on a a jack stand.
Only if small filter is not overtightened. During my first oil change the oil filter wrench was useless. I used the same 3 prong tool. It was so tight that the 3 prong tool crashed the filter before it came undone.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:17 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
To remove the smaller filter all one has to do is release the rear facing rubber duct to the heat flapper housing under the car and lower the filter out. It can be a tight fit clearance to get it out. In the past I have used a channel-lock pliers to help release the filter, now I use a filter wrench as I can use the filter wrench to snug the new filter up. Once done I hose off the oil mess involved with electric motor cleaner and button up the rubber duct. This is all done in my driveway by reaching in through the passenger side wheel well with the tire off up on a a jack stand.
I'm well aware of how to do this, having done several times. But, I simply go up from the bottom, once the duct is out. You really need to get under there anyway to clean up the oil that will slop onto the ARB and such.

Originally Posted by NYC993
Only if small filter is not overtightened. During my first oil change the oil filter wrench was useless. I used the same 3 prong tool. It was so tight that the 3 prong tool crashed the filter before it came undone.
Exactly, more than a few of us have had our first oil change hit a snag due to an overtight filter. A standard filter "cap type" wrench is useless, and you can't get a strap wrench on it. Excellent tool:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-unive...&mktRedirect=y

Quick Reply: Am I being paranoid???