Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Oil pressure warning light on - help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 06:51 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil pressure warning light on - help!!

Hi all,

Oil pressure warning light comes on at idle (oil pressure gauage very low at same time), when stationary in traffic when the car is hot (temp gauge indicating about 3/4 way up) I am running mobil1 oil in the car, its done 70,000 miles, oil full to top of dipstick, light goes out when revs pick up, should I be worried? Is my oil cooling fan failing, is my engine failing - how do I check it, should I change the oil brand, any other clever ideas, help!!

I want to do the basic checks any simple repairs myself before it goes to the stealership for them to look at it

TIA

John
Old 06-05-2003, 07:17 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like your temp is a little high, perhaps that could be part of the problem? Check out this recent thread on temperatures:

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=009282" target="_blank">another dreaded oil temperature question</a>

Tom
'95 993
Old 06-06-2003, 09:59 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, you need to drain some oil outta there - like yesterday. Oil level should NOT be at top of dipstick EVER - especially when cold. When fully hot, it should be right in the middle. You are definitely overfilled. But not sure if that's causing your pressure problem.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:40 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
John

your oil cooling is not functioning properly. This happens in my car when it gets very hot as well.

Check the archives - either your oli isn't getting to the cooler at the front of the car. If it is (that is your front right wing feels warm), then its down to the fan.

You need to check fan operation by jumping the terminals at the fan relay to check low speed and high speed operation. If the fan operates when jumped, it could be oil temp sender, resistor or climate control unit.

There is A LOT in the archives in both the 993 and 964 forum.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might find this old thread from the 964 board helpful:

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?" target="_blank">Low Oil Pressure Thread</a>

A low idle will exacerbate the problem, as will your high oil temperature.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure warning light on - help!!