Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 12:31 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with most here and my option is if done right will not take away the value.

They're are 2 kinds of repaints....a quick and cheap one where they tape or mask all the trim and you can definitely see repaint tape marks. This kind of paint job usually yields dirt in the paint you can see in the right light and or fish eyes. If body work was done you can usually see slight ripples in the panel.

If the shop is top notch, only pants higher end cars, removes all trim, uses quality paint and paint match, cleans the filters in the both and spays when not humid and lots of correct prep work you can get close to OEM spec but that costs a lot more. Most all concourse cars are repainted. I know of one shop in my area that when they are done you cant tell. My friend has a 997 and hit a tree this shop did the work. He later brought it to a Porsche dealer for service and paid extra for a PPI inspection and the dealer had said in the report the car had never been painted. This dealer is good, they come out in white lab coats and the shop is immaculate. I know the body shop even used all factory body sealer and applied it the same way the factory did.

In my opinion very rare cars like Seinfeld's blue turbo 993 would bring more if 100% original.

If the owner you bought it from could not tell it was painted and you couldn't it's probably a very high end paint job and I would not think it wouldn't effect the price of the car. Id rather think people would want it painted and perfect over stones chips.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by 600RR
My two cents: I have a 15,000 mile '97 black cab that was poorly kept by the previous owner. It will get a complete, glass out respray this year. I started out on the slope with my 993s doing only mods that were options on a 993. However, the 3-spoke SW got me onto a black diamond slope and I've been sliding ever since. I'm not planning on selling, and if I do then someone who appreciates a nice ride as opposed to having to have an "all original" will buy it. Meanwhile, I like 'em with my mods and don't much care what others think, much less what I can get when I sell a 993 (at surely more than I have in it).

Everyone has a different thought process - depends on what you want the car for. I prefer to use them rather than view them.
Agree with all of this.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:24 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

My 95 is for sale and was posted on this site. It was properly resprayed with the windows out and people gave me a hard time about it. I agree with all the comments, it's 20 years old,
Old 07-21-2015, 06:44 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I think we need more information. What is the mileage of the car? Documented history available? Asking price? What are the issues from the PPI (seems like the OP may be new to Porsches and not know what to look for, said car has multiple owners, was leakdown/compression test done?), who did the PPI?, etc etc.

As an example if the car has over 100k miles on it, the respray could add value if done correctly.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:54 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bayern61
Were these cars painted as a whole or as parts? Just seems like some texture seems a bit different on various parts of the car. Color matches perfect though.
For the most part, the cars at the factory were painted as a whole. There are likely a few exceptions.

The difference in texture is probably the "orange peel." It is hard to replicate the factory orange peel (or mostly lack thereof). From what I've heard, orange peel is mostly a function of how much and how well the paint is sanded between coats.

For recent paintwork, the mandated poor quality paints do not help.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:23 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 310 Posts

I think you have your answer. Respray done right - good- maybe better than original chipped paint. I did this in April. Documented with photos- I had a beat up bumper cover and some chips in the clear coat on the driver door so I have the whole driver's side, hood and bumper redone with new stone guards- looks awesome now and if anything i'd bet the value is improved as it shows I care for the car. Paint meters- i wouldn't put a lot of weight in this area either. If someone is trying to hide damage and it hasn't been done well, you'll see it in alignment of panels, seams, texture, etc. If done really well you won't be able to tell at all- so why waist the money on a GOOD meter- these are expensive little buggers. Here's my car.
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2015, 01:10 PM
BlackCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whenever I even think of selling my 993 or any car, I just go back to this little video.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:20 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New paint

^ Too perfect
Old 07-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 411 Posts

[QUOTE=BlackCar;12451400]Whenever I even think of selling my 993 or any car, I just go back to this little video.

My two favorites: "I note there are some chips around the front bumper, hardly visible to the naked eye, that I would need to make right." and "Oh my god, is it an automatic?"

LOL
Old 07-22-2015, 07:16 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 310 Posts

I would rather stick hot needles in my eyes than sell my car to a person like you. Classic.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:55 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts
Default New paint

awesome
Old 07-23-2015, 10:36 AM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

Rockit: could you please share the name of the paint shop you referenced? I am in NJ as well and would like to have a superior shop on the ready should the day come when I need them. Thank you

Quick Reply: New paint