Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT - Vacation to Italy! Suggestions welcomed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 06:47 PM
jskylarwilson
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts
Default OT - Vacation to Italy! Suggestions welcomed!

Hi All,

I'm taking a two week trip to Italy starting June 21st, and would love to meet any fellow 993 owners while there. I'll be (in order of) in Positano, Capri, Florence (Including a day trip to Tuscany), Cinque Terre, Lake Como, Venice, and Rome.

I'd love to meet up if anyone is around! Also, I'd love any recommendations from the group here on places to eat, things to see, tour groups, guides, wineries, pointers on getting ahead of lines... whatever!

Thank you!
Old 06-15-2015, 07:27 PM
rlsammax
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to the town of Vernazza In the Cinque Terra.............the best of all 5 towns. Also, if you can make a trip to the Ferrari and Lamborghini factory's. (Ferrari being the best). Wife rented me a Lamborghini (right outside the Ferrari's visitor center) for 1/2 hr...with instructor. Had a great time. If you want more info send me a private response.

Ralph
Old 06-15-2015, 09:16 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Forget cars, eat!
Old 06-15-2015, 09:25 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll be in Levanto on Sunday but only for the week, thanks for the tip about Vernazza.
If driving in Florence beware of limited access areas, you may get a nasty fine when you get home.
Driving in Italy can be hairy, avoid driving in Rome unless you want a nervous breakdown. Slip roads (on ramps) onto autostradas (freeways) are sometimes very short or non-existant.
In Venice Harry's bar (for Bellinis)and Florians (for coffee) are a must but expect butt clenching prices even for a Porsche owner.
Learn a few phrases it's greatly appreciated and they love Americans 'cos they tip well.
Bellagio is a nice town on Como.
My favorite restaurant in Florence is the Golden View, across the Arno from the Ufizzi.
If visiting the Vatican be prepared for a long queue in baking heat, well worth it though.
Buon viaggio
Old 06-15-2015, 09:34 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Default OT - Vacation to Italy! Suggestions welcomed!

Venice - unique and gorgeous. Nothing like it I've ever seen. Spend as much time there as you can. In addition to other places listed, try Antico Pignolo. About block or so in from St Marks square. Just explore by walking around and the vaperetto (water taxi)...T
Old 06-15-2015, 09:40 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I did a big roudtrip in europe and including Italy. Just one thing, watch out in Rome, there are a lot of thieves and pickpockets. Our van was opened somehow when we left on the side of the street in a parking area like 1-2blocks away from the Coliseum, don't know how my GPS survived but it was badly damaged. Many belongings were stolen.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:38 PM
serval
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Lucca for sure

Hello,

Not far from Pisa is the fortress city of Lucca. Amazing. I will be there in both July and August
Old 06-16-2015, 01:00 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

That'll be a fair bit of driving in 2 weeks! Disclaimer: several recommendations below involve alcoholic beverages but if you don't imbibe, try an Arianciata (orange soda) instead.

Assuming you're renting a car,,when you do the amalfi drive to Positano, choose which side of the road you want to be on: sea side is more spectacular but nerve wracking for some, mountain side feels a bit safer but the views aren't quite as thrilling. When in Positano we've had good feeds at Tre Sorelle (three sisters) at the base of the stairs, right by the bronze lion on your right as you descend. Be sure to try the limoncello; although it's widely offered throughout Italy as a post-prandial libation, the local amalfi versions I believe are the best to be found. Hell, the lemons down there are about as big as your head.

If you are in Florence, you ARE in Tuscany: what do you mean, day trip to Tuscany? Anyway, when in Tuscany you may want to try Bifteca Fiorentina - steak done extremely rare and usually drizzled with a bit of olive oil. Val di Chiana beef is the largest species of beef cattle on the planet, my son and I shared a 5 pound, three inch thick rib steak when were in Montepulciano 3 years ago, and when he went back in Italy on a school trip last summer, he dragged a dozen of his fellow students back to the same restaurant: Osteria Aquacheta. He must have liked it.

My vote for best town in Cinque Terra is Sestre Levante. Laid back, lovely town bordering the Lido. Can recommend a hidden gem hotel if you're overnighting: Villa Agnese - not in the centre of town but gorgeous grounds, rooms, and excellent breakfast.

Rome: order tickets for the main attractions (eg coliseum, forum etc) in advance on the internet or you will be standing in lines that can be an hour or two long. Better yet, if your budget can handle it, hire a guide or join a guided tour - they shoot to the front of the line, no waiting. I heard Vatican museum / Sistine chapel are open evenings now so you may want to schedule your tour late in the day, otherwise it can be brutally crowded, but check schedules locally, they change all the time. My favourite, must-see Rome attraction is the Pantheon: perfectly preserved Roman temple with original marbles intact. Food: if you can find good cannelloni you will have died and gone to heaven. Next best choice is probably calamari e gamberi (deep fried squid and shrimp. Mmmmmm.) or abbacchio - roast spring lamb, if not too late in the season. Good restaurants in Trastevere.

Venezia: Piazza San Marco. Have a campari and soda or a negroni at an outdoor table in one of the high priced bars in the arcades on either side of the piazza - one does classical live music, the other seems to be show tunes and jazz. Prices are highway robbery but fantastic people watching. Nurse your drink. Food in Venice generally sucks but the little take-out pizza bars can be surprisingly good.

Lago di Como - the scenery is the star here. Can't go wrong with a nice creamy risotto up here, pasta is less prevalent in the north.

Buon viaggio!

Last edited by bcameron59; 06-16-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:30 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favourite place! Italy has everything, food, wine, history, beauty, weather....what's not to like? All the places you've listed are great. I'm not sure if Ferrari has changed it's visitation policy but when I was there, only the museum could be visited by non Ferrari owners....factory was off limits to the rest of us. I believe Lambo and Paganl are available for tours though. IMHO Rome could easily consume an entire holiday and the country itself could consume many holidays. The last time we were there we walked the route between all the five towns of Cinque Terra, drove the Amalfi coast, visited Pompei, Rome, Verona,Maranello, Sienna, Livorno, Cortona, Orvieto, Pisa, Venice, etc. We had a car and a month play with... it's a great place to keep amused. Have a great trip!
Old 06-16-2015, 11:14 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Was just there in feb.

I rented a car in florence, drove up the cost to Cannes and monte carlo, which was spectacular.

Take the Funicular railway in Como. Views of the swiss alps and the lake are fantastic.

Venice is overrated to me.

Piazza michelangelo is a good place to get some great pics in florence. Top of the duomo is great in florence also. Lines for the david will likely be long, but it was good to see. I liked Il latini for food in florence. Its a tourist trap apparently, but they treated my group amazingly well with tons of free food and booze. Even the table wine was great.

Rome I haven't visited in a while, but the things to do are endless.

If you have a car, spend some time in the country side. beautiful country.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:47 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 291 Posts

Been there twice- just got back from a 10 day rome, Florence and Venice trip. All of the above are great suggestions. Lucca is really cool- rent bikes and ride the wall for a couple hours! Cinque Terre is simply amazing! We stayed in Bona Sola ( spelling? ) which is not one of the 5 villages, but it's just above the 5 and on the train line. The beach is awesome and not as crowded as Vernazza.

Venice was a MAD House last week when we were there- more Americans and other tourists than I have ever seen, but it's a very special city.

Enjoy!
Old 06-16-2015, 12:12 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In Venice, catch the water taxi from Piazza Roma (the other end of Venice) going toward St. Mark's square about 30 min before sunset. You will enjoy the lovely view of all of Venice at sunset! It is one of the best and cheapest thing to do. Then get a drink or just sit on the ground in St. Mark's square and enjoy the live band at night. The absolute best thing (and cheapest if you just sit on the ground) thing to do!!!
Old 06-16-2015, 01:04 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 291 Posts

^^ agree!!^^ we stayed up at the Piazza Roma end of town and the Vaporettos are the way to go! 24 dollars for an unlimited 3 day pass I believe.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Antica Macelleria Cecchini, Panzano in Chianti (Tuscany). Dario Cecchini and his staff will most certainly be serving wine along with a large spread of food for visitors, free to anyone who comes in. Will most likely be crowded. He may be blasting AC/DC, or Joan Baez, depends on his mood that day.

We had a private lunch and I will tell you it was the most memorable food I've eaten in all of Italy (the porchetta is divine). You need to book now if you want a table.

It's a crazy experience, amongst foodies Dario is revered like a rock star. I can't wait to visit with him again.

http://www.dariocecchini.com/en/
Old 06-16-2015, 02:42 PM
sdoolin
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I have spent time in Italy both in cars and on motorcycles, same with Germany.

Very important to remember that in Italy all traffic signals, road stripings, and other pavement and traffic markings are merely SUGGESTIONS. Drive like the locals or get stressed out. Scooters rule the day in urban areas and they are not afraid to drive right up under your side view mirrors or to use you as a berm.

Germany - the exact opposite. Rules are rules and you best pay attention to them.

Quick Reply: OT - Vacation to Italy! Suggestions welcomed!