993 Forum 1995-1998

Smoke, Burning smell, bad noises?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 07:26 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer
Could definitely be the heater blower fan... I didn't even consider that... It was the first thing I removed when I got my car.
What, no heat in Galveston?! Lol
Old 06-11-2015, 02:01 AM
rbeggs
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I had convinced myself that the aux heater blower was probably the issue. But that was too good to be true. Following our man Tore's test instructions, (thanks, mpruden) the aux blower functions correctly. There is some difference in the settings of the ***** as to what starts when but the blower runs, except for one thing. I cannot detect any air movement, either suction through the intake trumpet on top or exhaust through the outlet flaps underneath. Maybe I don't know where to look. Is it possible that the fan has lost its vanes, that the noise and odor, now gone, was the shearing off and burning/melting of the all that plastic debris? Can it be, that the motor, now unencumbered, can run free but doesn't move air?

Mysteries abound,

-rb
Old 06-11-2015, 08:33 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by rbeggs
Well, I had convinced myself that the aux heater blower was probably the issue. But that was too good to be true. Following our man Tore's test instructions, (thanks, mpruden) the aux blower functions correctly. There is some difference in the settings of the ***** as to what starts when but the blower runs, except for one thing. I cannot detect any air movement, either suction through the intake trumpet on top or exhaust through the outlet flaps underneath. Maybe I don't know where to look. Is it possible that the fan has lost its vanes, that the noise and odor, now gone, was the shearing off and burning/melting of the all that plastic debris? Can it be, that the motor, now unencumbered, can run free but doesn't move air?

Mysteries abound,

-rb

The blower motor assembly is very easy to remove - two 10mm bolts from the left, an electrical connector, and hose clamps. Two minutes, tops.

Andreas
Old 06-11-2015, 12:50 PM
d ward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbeggs

Mysteries abound,

-rb
I think it depends on the settings on the ccu as to where the aux sends the air, but I thought it was mainly there to push hot air to the cabin, and it only sent it out through the exhaust vent outlets under the car if the engine was above a certain temperature when you switched it off, if you put the car into reverse gear and a couple of other reasons I can't remember.
Maybe try switching the aux fan on then put the car in reverse gear, you should feel the air blowing out the rear exhaust vents under the rear of the car if the fan is moving air
Old 06-11-2015, 01:32 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

With all of the air being blown around, under the engine while it's running, I seriously doubt you'd be able to tell if the fan is working properly. Those flapper valves aren't going to emit a whole lotta volumn. Pull the ducting off and switch it on. You should be able to immediate tell if your internal fan blades are gone.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:16 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
With all of the air being blown around, under the engine while it's running, I seriously doubt you'd be able to tell if the fan is working properly. Those flapper valves aren't going to emit a whole lotta volumn.

Actually overboosted, those flapper valves pump out an impressive volume and it is real easy to tell despite the noise and heat if they are on or not. However, the duct temp has to reach a certain value for them to come on (see Tores site). iirc, When I tested mine after replacing resistors, from memory it was about a 20minute drive, plus 5 minutes idling at about an 85 degree ambient before they kicked on. They dump out a LOT of very hot air. But I do agree better ways to test that fan have already been posted than the flapper test.

Quick Reply: Smoke, Burning smell, bad noises?