Optima Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 09:14 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by graham_mitchell:
<strong>Is Optima really the best option?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is there ever any one best option for anything?

The Optima is readily available in the US at many retail and mail order facilities, we know it fits and for the money it is a good deal.

Maybe it weighs a few pounds more than the options you listed but if you can feel a 5# or even 20# difference in your car then you are truely more qualified than most here. Besides the front end is not the best place to remove weight as it can just lead to more understeer.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:35 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts
Greg,

I agree with your last point about lightening ONLY the front. However, for every lb or kg I remove from the front, I will try and remove double that on the rear to maintain and even slightly correct the original balance.

And I agree that I would not notice a 20lb reduction on its own, but this is part of a process of losing weight wherever I can and aiming for 150lb reduction overall.

Graham
Old 12-06-2002, 11:56 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
If that light weight battery is part of a weigh reduction strategy I agree it is worth considering, your two to one ratio sounds like a good plan. A lighter car is one of the best performance upgrades you can do. I took about 300# out of my race car and the difference was amazing. Best of Luck.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:18 AM
Jason R
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those interested, I was at Costco (Bloomfield, MI) earlier today and saw the Optima red top for $105. Can't remember the model number.

Jason
Old 12-07-2002, 09:28 AM
JohnM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Graham,

The Odyssey and Dyna-Batt batteies you list have very low capacities (16Ah for the Dyna-Batt). That will not be a problem if you are aiming at a track car and will have reserve starting batteries available, it is very likely to be a problem if you use the car regularly on the road. A few days with the alarm on will be sufficient to discharge to the extent the car may not start, and a few short trips these winter evenings with the rear screen heater on could also leave the battery in a precarious state. If you go with one of those it would be very advisable to have a trickle charger in your garage and connect the car to it every night.

Quick Reply: Optima Battery