993 Forum 1995-1998

Security System

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:28 AM
RBP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Security System

I noticed that my car sometimes locks the doors without anyone pressing the button. I have been working on the car and was locked out, good thing I was in the garage so I could use my other keys and get back in. Now I have to very careful not to forget to keep the keys on me and never leave them in the car with the door closed.

Anyone else have this issue or heard of it happening. Would like to correct this but not sure where to start.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:27 PM
d ward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes the door pins stick the ones in the door pillars for the interior lights, if they stay stuck in when you open the door to get out ( even if the doors locked it can still be opened from the inside) the centre locking system doesn't know the door has been opened and closed, so the door re locks and locks you out the car
Old 05-21-2015, 07:55 PM
RBP
Instructor

Not sure I understand. I pressed the button and unlocked the doors, then opened a door to get in the car. Once in the car I then forgot something and exit the car to get it. I close the door and leave the keys in there, while out of the car the system locks the doors without any direction from me. My keys are now locked in the car. It seems that it thinks someone pressed the button when no one did.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:40 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I added a delay timer relay to my car that locks the door a few seconds after the ignition is turned on. I once locked myself out of the car after starting it while not seated in the car. I I now know better than to do this. Dooooop!
Andy
Old 05-24-2015, 03:20 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I will test mine later. I believe if you unlock, but do not open a door, the system will relock the door.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:36 PM
d ward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RBP
Not sure I understand. I pressed the button and unlocked the doors, then opened a door to get in the car. Once in the car I then forgot something and exit the car to get it. I close the door and leave the keys in there, while out of the car the system locks the doors without any direction from me. My keys are now locked in the car. It seems that it thinks someone pressed the button when no one did.
Techman explains it better, but basically if the door pin sticks, the car can't tell that the door has been opened, so thinks that when you pushed the fob button it was by accident as it appears to the car that no one has opened the door ( pin stuck) so after a preset time it automatically re locks the car to keep it secure.
Oblivious you did open the door, got in closed the door then reopened it to get out, but as the car did not get a signal from the door pin switch, it thinks the door remained closed throughout and starts it's re locking count down timer and locked you out the car.
Most modern cars do the same, try it if you have access to a modern car, unlock the car with the remote but don't open the door, after a minute or so the car will re lock on its own

So probably worth checking your door pin switch before resorting to a priest ;-)
Old 05-25-2015, 09:24 PM
RBP
Instructor

Makes sense, I will get on it. Sounds like I need to check the door switch and make certain it is operating properly. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:36 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by RBP
Makes sense, I will get on it. Sounds like I need to check the door switch and make certain it is operating properly. Thanks for the feedback.
The door lock actuators in the RH and LH doors have a switch in them that signal to the door lock controller if the actuator is in the locked or unlocked position. You could have an actuator that failed so the actuator rod is always in the locked position and the switch is telling the controller that the system needs to rearm. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Security System