Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
Do giros last that much longer?

I was debating getting giros, but 2 sets of giros (set of rotors and a set of rings) = 4 oem tt rotors pricewise.

Indeded use: a few DEs a year by a newb.
For a few de's a year it probably isn't worth it

I was getting ~2k track mi per set of 993tt fronts
the current Gyrodisks are @6600mi now and while showing some cracking are still good for another 1k or so.

When the annulus needs to be replaced you only need to buy the annulus itself and a hardware set
Old 05-21-2015, 02:15 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Smile Save your money? Maybe????

"I expect a performance increase and less fade if and when i start to track it."

I had Big Red brakes on my car, installed as an option by the original owner. I had to put the stock 993 brakes on to run in a specific Stock race class, Big Reds were verboten. I traded brakes with Darin Fister...a win/win for both of us. And he had already painted them RED for me.

You may expect better performance, but unless your car is set up as a track car, you won't know the difference. My car is set up as a track car and I know it stops better on Pagid pads contrasted to stock pads. But I can't tell the difference between Big Red and stock brakes on Pagid pads.

What you will find as you get deeper into tracking your car, most developing drivers are guilty of over-braking...over brake = you'll be slower than the guy that doesn't.

I have heard, "Nobody ever went fast standing on their brakes?" This is probably true. Unless you need/want the "bling", you'll be better off in the long run with the stock brake. Another option, overhaul your calipers and paint them Red.

Bigger brakes won't stop you faster, really, but bigger tires and stickier rubber will help some.

Here is the up side of Big Reds:
1. They will resist fading longer in a race situation, but use them excessively, they'll fade too,
2. They look cool.

Down side:
1. Rotors are more expensive,
2. As Bill has mentioned, they may be more susceptible to cracking...when the cracks connect up from hole to hole, you'll need new rotors,
3. Pads are more expensive
4. Increase in unsprung weight over stock brakes.

On my stock calipers, I use Pagid Yellow on the front, and Pagid Black on the rear. Have yet to experience significant fade. If I were to drive the car on the street, I would insert a set of stock pads and only go to Pagid pads on track days.

As we see, the important stuff is:
1. Highest quality brake fluid you can buy
2. Fresh calipers, rebuild if needed,
3. Adequate rotor thickness, within factory specs, and no connections between the cracks...and when you are zooming around getting to be the "fast guy", then think about...
4. Brake pad selection Pagid for me..I have tried others)
5. Cooling (See FVD pic below)...cost about $600 for this kit.
6. Get slotted rotors when you can use them...have seen them for Turbo Big Red brakes, but have not seen slotted rotors for standard 993 brakes. As Bill mentions, With Giro slotted you change out the rotors (Annulus) and a hardware kit, not the hats.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Martin S.; 05-21-2015 at 02:33 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:57 AM
deactivateduser66
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C2sideways
Hello all,

My '95 C2 will be needing a complete brake overhaul during next winters storage. This would require new discs (rotors), pads and Caliper overhaul, etc.
I am considering going for a Big Red kit with RS rears. I know this will cost me more than a standard set up overhaul. I expect a performance increase and less fade if and when i start to track it. On the exclusivity and upgrade level i wonder if its worth it.
The kit i intend to purchase is Factory. I would either sell off the salvageable parts to recoup costs or overhaul and refinish the calipers for later use or again to sell.
Opinions please anyone ?
I do have a 993 C4 complete brake kit with rotors, calipers and pads etc. (Only driven 2700 miles) I'm going to have them re-done and they will be ready for sale by the end of this week. Swap will be cheaper with stock brakes than Big Reds or other brands.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:55 PM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 172 Posts

just put them on

Yesterday the first track test (at 43Cels. ...) and i'm very satisfied; using Pagid RS14.

On the side; the needed spacer are recommended with 9mm as mathematical 1/2 of the extended rotor diameter. However, didn't worked for me. Used then 12mm as recommended by Ninemeister, works well; guess 10.5 mm would do fine too.

Quick Reply: Braking on a slippery slope