Sponsored by:

Cleaning secondary air injection ports without removing engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 07:10 PM
Rob Kwate
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cleaning secondary air injection ports without removing engine

On the PCA website, Joel Reiser describes a procedure to clean the secondary air injection ports without removing the engine. As he describes it, he removes the intake and exhaust and then blows solvent and compressed air through the ports until they are clean. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? How difficult is it to do? I checked Robin's website, but no DIY article. My car doesn't have the problem...yet, but I wonder if this should be a periodic maintenance item...say every 50,000 miles. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Rob.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:48 PM
mindovermotors
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEY ROB,
THIS MAY BE A POSSIBLE SOLUTION FOR THIS PROBLEM. THIS IS ONLY ADDRESSING THE SYMPTOM TO THIS PROBLEM AND NOT THE REAL CULPRIT. IT HAS TO DUE WITH VALVE GUIDE MATERIALS, BURNING OIL ETC.(DETAILS) PORSCHE ATTEMPTED TO JUST CLEAN OUT THE PASSAGES WHEN I WAS A TECH AT A DEALERSHIP. BUT WE FOUND THAT THE PASSAGES WOULD CLOG UP SOON AND YOU WOULD END UP WITH AN UNHAPPY CUSTOMER. THE LONG TERM FIX FOR THE PROBLEM WOULD BE TO COMPLETE A VALVE JOB WITH THE PROPER VALVE GUIDE MATERIAL.
I HOPE THIS IS THE INFO YOU WANTED
CHRIS SHAFFER
Old 09-08-2003, 09:45 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When did Joel do this and how long did it last? The valve guides do need to be replaced if (so I am told) you are burning oil. Currently, I go through one quart every 2500 miles or so. I am not burning at an unusual rate and I have the dreaded carbon deposit issue.

Quick Reply: Cleaning secondary air injection ports without removing engine