Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on Kumho Ecsta V700 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 08:45 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say I really have not had good experiences with any of the Kumho's. Never really could get them to wear right or grip well. Finally gave up!

I have not had that issue with other race tires.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:41 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Robert Henriksen:
<strong>

I believe I wound up w. ~1.2 negative camber front, ~1.4 negative rear -- you?

As to the oversteer, turns 2 and 5 @ TWS were the most memorable (w. 225/255) w. the back stepping right out under steady throttle, not pinching the car w. excessive steering. This was when I'd ramped up my speeds and was really steaming through the turns.</strong><hr></blockquote>

As you know Robert I run the 225/255 combo albeit on street P-Zero's the last time at TWS. I'm at 2.00 negative on all corners I would partially agree with you I had a hint of oversteer but on turn 9. Otherwise it was a very neutral handling car. I will be running Cups in February same sizes do you think it will make a difference the different compound in terms of characteristics?

By the way how did you manage to get oversteery on turn 5?
Old 11-21-2002, 10:08 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by DJF1:
<strong>

As you know Robert I run the 225/255 combo albeit on street P-Zero's the last time at TWS. I'm at 2.00 negative on all corners I would partially agree with you I had a hint of oversteer but on turn 9. Otherwise it was a very neutral handling car. I will be running Cups in February same sizes do you think it will make a difference the different compound in terms of characteristics?

By the way how did you manage to get oversteery on turn 5?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I forget -- what suspension do you have? Everyone who's had a try at aligning my car can't get more than ~1.5 negative at the rear, -2 F&R is a fantasy. Speaking of which, how's your tire wear at -2 f/r? How long have you had those settings?

The effects of minute tread pattern changes & compounds is a very black art, I wouldn't dare to hazard a guess. Let me know what you find out!

Oversteery -- that's what was interesting. I'd take a nice smooth turn in, load up the suspension, go tracking through 5, and the back would just... come out! Now, this was when I'd discovered that you can carry a hell of a lot more speed through 5 than I'd previously thought, and had the car much more loaded up that in the past. But as best I recall (been a little while now) I wasn't doing anything very interesting w. either the throttle or the wheel to instigate the oversteer.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:35 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
<strong>

I forget -- what suspension do you have? Everyone who's had a try at aligning my car can't get more than ~1.5 negative at the rear, -2 F&R is a fantasy. Speaking of which, how's your tire wear at -2 f/r? How long have you had those settings?

The effects of minute tread pattern changes & compounds is a very black art, I wouldn't dare to hazard a guess. Let me know what you find out!

Oversteery -- that's what was interesting. I'd take a nice smooth turn in, load up the suspension, go tracking through 5, and the back would just... come out! Now, this was when I'd discovered that you can carry a hell of a lot more speed through 5 than I'd previously thought, and had the car much more loaded up that in the past. But as best I recall (been a little while now) I wasn't doing anything very interesting w. either the throttle or the wheel to instigate the oversteer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I run H&R coilovers with M030 Sways and Mike set the car up to RS specs...
Tire wear! LOL..after an event and a half (the rained out DE) my P-Zeros were down on the tread marks! I was loosing chunks or rubber everytime I was getting out wearing from outside to inside!
So I cannot tell you much about the wear factor. Mike told me I should have inner wear normally...

I'm wondering if I should run 205's and 255's for balance shake...
Old 11-21-2002, 11:10 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

When you get past green-group speeds & really start loading up your car, street tires get shredded pretty quickly.

I understand 'balance', but not 'balance shake' - ?? If your car's felt okay w/respect to f/r balance, I'd say keep doing what you're doing. I just hadn't realized, personally, that I was that badly out of balance until I reluctantly tried 225/275 by virtue of an attractive price on some used Hoosiers.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:57 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

[quote]I believe I wound up w. ~1.2 negative camber front, ~1.4 negative rear -- you?<hr></blockquote>

-0 deg 15 min camber, 6 min total toe front
-1 degree 25 min camber, 25 min total toe rear

Car is primarily street driven; setup is maybe not optimal for track but don't give a d*mn since I still have fun.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:05 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay, w. that alignment I can see the 225/255 combination providing a good f/r balance. With the increased front camber on my car, I need a wider rear (or reduced front) to achieve same.

Ironic - but I'd hate to go back to reduced front camber if for no other reason than to avoid scrubbing the shoulders of my tires any more than I already do!
Old 11-22-2002, 03:22 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

<strong>When you get past green-group speeds & really start loading up your car, street tires get shredded pretty quickly.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

My new rear S02's were starting to shred nicely, even in the greenie group. I'll need new rears by the time February rolls around. Michelin Sport Cups on the track with Michelin Pilot Sport Ribs on the street is sounding better and better.

Quick Reply: Update on Kumho Ecsta V700 Tires