Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Remote ran through a wash cycle!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 01:03 PM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote ran through a wash cycle!

I made the mistake of not removing my one and only remote out of a pair of pants that required laundering. After discovering (with horror) that it no longer functioned, I pulled the circuit board out and considered my fate. I tried WD 40 (Water Displacement attempt 40), the old "bag of rice" trick to no avail. I googled the problem and noticed some people with similar problems using alcohol. I felt like reaching for the Scotch myself...LOL. With nothing to loose, I submerged the board and toggled the micro switch to allow the alcohol entry into the workings of the switch. She works perfectly now! My theory is perhaps some soap residue gummed up the micro switch resulting in a no function scenario. What did I learn from this? I need a second remote and it seems that in all my stuff that came with the car, I don't have the immobilizer code....(up until this week I didn't even know I needed one, LOL). I do love my 85 for the mechanical locks and ignition switch....perhaps a "back date" should be in order for the 993...just kidding. Perhaps not many of us have done this and up until now, I hadn't. However if you have, give it a try. Cheers
Old 05-17-2015, 01:07 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

You make it sound like you do your own laundry. And we're suppose to believe you?
Old 05-17-2015, 01:32 PM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now... don't talk crazy OK? Unfortunately the deal is that it MY responsibility to check the pockets though.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Take a copy of your registration to the parts department at a dealer. They should be able to print out your immobilized code. They shouldn't charge you, but some dealerships will try. I know McKenna doesn't, that is where I requested mine.

Just beware that corrosion takes time. It wouldn't be a bad idea to periodically open up your remote, clean it and check for signs of corrosion.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Open it and let it dry for a week then fit a new battery and try it again!

Quick Reply: Remote ran through a wash cycle!