Sponsored by:

Russian River-beer help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Russian River-beer help needed

No distribution in New York State, closest is Philly. Would someone in the Santa Rosa area...give or take, be interested in carefully packing me up some goodness and sending it East?

I'm on a big IPA kick lately, and really want to try both Blind Pig, and Pliny The Elder from Russian River. I assume 6 pack bottles for the Pig...probably 4 pack bottle for Pliny. Hoping for 2 packs of each?

Naturally, all beer, shipping & handling(additional shipping personal consumption too) graciously paid.

thanks
Old 05-09-2015, 10:26 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Make sure to pack in dry ice. I hear Russian River goes to great lengths to keep their hoppy beers cold in transit and storage. Might as well do it properly!

I'm a bit too far from wine country to find it in bottles, but will keep an eye out though.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Checking in with the beer guys of our local racing list.

Only chatter recently was one of the guys at the outpost in Portland got some on tap, and the bar said they were surprised the keg lasted the day. And I guess Pliny the Younger is the unicorn.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:46 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pliny the Younger and Pliny the Elder are different beers. Good luck finding Pliny the Younger in bottles... ever! It is a very limited release beer that has people making plans months (if not years) in advance of its release. I'm not so familiar with Blind Pig.

Personally I'm a barrel aged stout sort of beer guy, so I think the whole Pliny the Younger thing is nuts. If I can see through the beer, odds are good that I wont like it much.

I'd be willing to lend MagDaddy. I'm not certain about shipping it all with dry ice though. That I'd have to look into. If you could reciprocate with some east of the rockies stouts (like Founders, Terrapin, Dogfish Head, Bells, etc.) we might just develop a lasting relationship here.

PM to figure out the details.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:12 AM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

late last summer we got shipment of Pliny the Elder bottles in central oregon at a local restaurant. It caught me way off guard seeing it here and i ordered a tall boy of it. 11$ but was worth it to finally see it again after drinking it pretty regularly in the Bay Area. I saw it on tap in Bend 2 weekends ago but the 'keg had blown' right before I showed up. Man, its a great IPA. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:09 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

They have a distributor in Philly...Distributor: Origlio Beverage 215-698-9500 maybe they know of an outlet close to you.

I will check with my sons and see what the bottle limits are for off sale.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:14 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

They said no limits (of course it would depend on what is in stock).

Are you coming to Rennsport? You now have 2 reasons to come.

Shipping with dry ice is not that simple…

http://images.fedex.com/us/services/...ce_Job_Aid.pdf

I know Russian River recommends that the growlers be kept cold but not the bottles.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 404 Posts

If you get your hands on a case of Heady Topper, it should be easy to find someone to swap cases! This thread is making me thirsty!
Old 05-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Why waste time on N Cal stuff, when there are 31 fantastic breweries in Deschutes county?
Old 05-10-2015, 08:57 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Deschutes county has some great beer being brewed around there...
Old 05-10-2015, 10:06 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pliny the Younger does not get bottled and imo it really doesn't taste all that much different from Elder. I waited 90mins in line for a couple of pints just to say I had some, but it really wasn't worth it. I think the hype and myth have preceded, Younger, but Elder is really one of these best IPAs ever.

After having Elder, I think Blind Pig might disappoint. There are plenty of other beers that are better, but if you haven't yet tried it then go for it as exploration is definitely a part of the fun. One special Russia River beer that doesn't get mentioned much is the Hop Father. It's a fantastic beer that I think is actually better balanced. After having gone through my first pitcher, I told my waiter I had a "blasphemous" thing to say and that was that I actually liked Hop Father better. The waiter winked at me and said most of the employees like Hop Father the best as well. It's hard to time as they only make it if the right hop is in season which I guess doesn't happen regularly.

I'd love to send you some, but unfortunately it's a couple of hours drive to get there and I never seem to have that amount of time free these days.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
If you get your hands on a case of Heady Topper, it should be easy to find someone to swap cases! This thread is making me thirsty!
The Mad Alchemist, brewer of Heady Topper...only distributes in a PATHETIC 30 mile radius of the brewery. Their website lists both retail outlets, and the days the beer is delivered there. That delivery schedule is not accurate, ask me how I know.

Yea, Heady Topper is good...but not worth a 5+ hour drive and a gamble that you'll even find any. Plenty of other quality double IPA's just as good, and readily available from many craft brew distributors.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:55 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
The Mad Alchemist, brewer of Heady Topper...only distributes in a PATHETIC 30 mile radius of the brewery. Their website lists both retail outlets, and the days the beer is delivered there. That delivery schedule is not accurate, ask me how I know.
Like I said, if you can get your hands on a case... We ski Stowe and Sugarbush that lie in the heart of that pathetic 30 mile radius - beautiful country, and some of the best skiing in East. It's easier to find the Heady when we're up there mid-week. And thankfully Vermont has more breweries per capita than any other other state so there's plenty of other great beer beer like Long Trail, Magic Hat, and Switchback. Always nice to buy locally.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:49 AM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Deschutes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Why waste time on N Cal stuff, when there are 31 fantastic breweries in Deschutes county?
Nods.

For those of you not lucky enough to live in Oregon, we have Breweries in Central Oregon, in my neck of the woods in Southern Oregon...dang near everywhere:

http://oregoncraftbeer.org/breweries/

Pliny wouldn't dare drive through Oregon, neither the elder nor the younger!

Friends own this:

http://www.oppositionbrewing.com/

Great stuff.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:52 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

I lived out east for a stint and really miss Long Trail. I wish I could get it out here in CA.

Originally Posted by Foxman
Like I said, if you can get your hands on a case... We ski Stowe and Sugarbush that lie in the heart of that pathetic 30 mile radius - beautiful country, and some of the best skiing in East. It's easier to find the Heady when we're up there mid-week. And thankfully Vermont has more breweries per capita than any other other state so there's plenty of other great beer beer like Long Trail, Magic Hat, and Switchback. Always nice to buy locally.

Quick Reply: Russian River-beer help needed