Sponsored by:

Weird clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 01:14 PM
AdaptecSpeedware
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird clunking noise

Ok so I had the rear of the car apart to powdercoat some stuff and now I have a weird issue. Something is making a clunking noise and it almost seems like it's hitting on the body somewhere by the cross member. I did pull that out completely for powdercoat. It's like the drivetrain is loose when I hit a bump but I checked all mounts and trans bolts and it's solid. Thought maybe it was my solid mounts so I swapped in my old mounts but no difference. More noticeable when I hit a bump at an angle but still there straight on. I checked control arm bolts and what not but couldn't get to the top of cross member without dropping the motor so wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience before I dive back in. Only thing I've changed besides powdering some stuff is I added the rennline mono ball strut mounts but noise seems to be from the middle of car. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2015, 01:48 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

"Clunking" loudly, maybe clicking? I have monoballs throughout in the rear, top mounts and solid subframe mounts. The sounds I get are just some creaking/clicking and that's normal with all rubber removed. If it's a loud clunk, I'd be concerned of something binding/shifting. Get it up, with susp. drooped and see if you can reproduce it. If not, then on ramps/lift on wheels and try. Chase every component to assure bushings and bolts are tight.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:40 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hard to tell where your noise may be coming from but I once had a clunking noise and found that my front swaybar drop links were shot.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:57 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

sway bar drop link perch could be loose.
over a bump, especially angled, the bar will pressure the link up and forward and rotate the drop link perch.
as the perch settles forward or back it will 'clunk' into place.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:31 PM
AdaptecSpeedware
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah so after overboosted posted it put me in the right direction. Put the car on stands and then put a jack under the wheel. Turns out my struts were popping up as they weren't tight. Took them off and all seemed right but looks like I had not put the bushings in the top to tighten it all up correctly. Put the bushings in and I couldn't get it to repeat the slack off the car so should be good to go. Thanks guys!
Old 05-09-2015, 07:02 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As K722070 stated, keep an eye on the drop link perch. If they start to move, it could be disastrous.

Quick Reply: Weird clunking noise