Sponsored by:

Road trip report and a blow out

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003 | 02:29 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Road trip report and a blow out

I had to take a business trip to some very rural areas of east Texas, so I opted to exercise the 95 993. The weather was fine--not too hot. The car was driven at very high speeds for extended periods, and it felt great. It is unfortunate that road conditions, and traffic laws, do not permit us here in the USA to experience high speed travel such as this more often because it was great fun. I was surprised at how low my oil temps were. They were generally below 194 F, even though I was heavy on the throttle most of the time. Evidently, the high speed air flow cools well even it the 90s. In town at idle it gets much warmer. All in all the car was at the top of it's game.

Then the right rear tire hit a nail. I was taking a sweeping left turn at a good clip when the car began to vibrate badly and oscillate somewhat. The car was controllable and I carefully and slowly brought it to a stop, but the S03 had blown. There was a large nail in the center of the tread, but the side wall was shot. So, time for 2 new rears. They were down to the wear bars, so it is no huge loss. The worse part of all this was crawling the rest of the way home on the spare.

Enjoy these fine rides every chance you get, but be careful out there.

Quick Reply: Road trip report and a blow out