Sponsored by:

How to convert to manual crank windows?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:56 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
Removing possible failure points for future ease of mind is right in my wheelhouse.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:40 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would argue that you're no more likely to experience an electric motor/regulator failure than the possibility of breaking a manual window crank. 993 regulators/motors are bulletproof.

It you want to go through this exercise that's your choice, but you will not be enhancing reliability or saving a meaningful amount of weight.

If this were an E39 or E46 BMW or any Japanese car on the other hand, I could see value in performing the conversion.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:53 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

It is a pain to wind the windows when one could just push a button.

You can't work the window on the passenger side easily and manual conversion only saves about 1 kilogram, if that.

The conversion makes no sense at all.

So, would I do it again? Of course I would do it again, I did it in the first place because "I could" and it suited my Luddite ways, not because of any rational construct.

FWIW: The manual conversion includes the whole regulator and costs per side about the same as a power motor only replacement per side.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:29 PM
Raleigh993
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Woolery
Thank you kindly for all the information so far, especially the "gotcha" of needing to replace the lower dash. I'll start saving up to do the conversion.
I would hate to modify or replace my lower dash. Could the window crank be modified or changed out?
Old 04-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Raleigh993
I would hate to modify or replace my lower dash. Could the window crank be modified or changed out?
Probably not, it would be hard to mod the crank and if you could it would be too short to crank the window easily.

The mod to the lower dash requires installing the early 911 lower dash padding and ash tray, extending the lateral carpet panels vertically and losing the glove box unless you weld in that portion of an early dash.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:44 PM
tbil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, what does a mod like this do to the resale value of the car? Suspect like me, those considering a mod like this are in the don't ever plan to sell and it's not an investment camp but, have to think for many this mod would really hurt resale. Not to mention removing the AC.

The fun is working on it though and enjoying the experience of making it what you want.

Quick Reply: How to convert to manual crank windows?