Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive my C2 in winter or get 2nd car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 12:28 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drive my C2 in winter or get 2nd car?

I've been wrestling with this question for weeks now as summer draws to an end. At the risk of getting a range of opinions, I thought I might ask this question to the forum anyway. Here's where I see the pros and cons:

C2 with winter tires:
Pro: still get to drive the P-car, no need to maintain two cars inc. insurance & registration
Con: salt & winter grime on car, even with careful driving I might still get rear ended by the SUV guy/gal who thinks he/she is invincible, have to keep a set of winter tires, more mileage

2nd car:
Pro: good beater so who cares about winter crap and extra mileage
Con: not as fun to drive (think early 90s Subaru or Honda), addl upkeep, may end up not driven as much anyway since I would probably drive the 993 whenever possible

A bit more background info:
I take the train to work everyday and the only weekend driving the car will be doing is from my place to my gf's (a 25 minute drive, 80% of the time on a highway). I'll then use her car for the weekend if the weather's crappy.
The 993 is lowered so even if traction is not an issue, (mini) snow banks might.

My biggest fear is that I'll get a 2nd car but end up driving the 993 90% of the time anyway (or at least to my gf' place).

Now let the debate commence...

(Man, I didn't have to worry about this *(&#$ back in Palo Alto!)
Old 09-05-2003, 12:43 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a beater and leave the 993 in the garage! I would kill myself leaving such a nice car in a train parking lot all day.

Mitch
Old 09-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a 2nd car. Cheaper and less worries in the long run.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:48 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Oh, forgot to add, I walk to the train station so the car does not move until Friday after work.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 560 Posts

If you only drive 2X25 mins once a week, and have to spend at least that much cleaning up the car so it does not sit a week with dirt/salt on it, then you need an extra vehicle. In the CA winter, I make this choice regularly with a 1982 MB 300TD station wagon (242k mi) that sits in the driveway begging to be driven in any conditions. However, I do not hesitate to take the 993 out on any long drive in any conditions.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:50 PM
Tim Ashfield
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree I got a second car but do drive the 993 in the winter pick good days make it a decent journey and clean it when I get back.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:55 PM
tvurt
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Get a Winter Car! I am in Akron OH, and took my C2 out for some fun in 3 in of fresh snow (no salt, it was to cold) - the big problem was not the traction, that is fine, or the special "feature" of rear - to front end swapping (mall parking lots rock) but the wide tires "plowing" effect piling up a bow wave of snow. If you lose your inertia, then a huge speed bump if snow builds up ahead of you. Besides - 4 snow tires, mounting, and front end chip removal will cover the cost of a beater.

Thomas
Old 09-05-2003, 01:58 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would go with the second car, and take the 993 off the road for the winter, especially if the NE winter is as severe as 2002/3, and you ifcan afford two cars. You can drop your collision in the winter and save a little money on insurance when car is not in use. That being said, the train station near me had various Porsche's all last winter in use. So, guess, it really depends on your comfort level. With 4 snow tires , the C2 is not bad in the snow up to about 3-5 inches. It is just the other drivers on the road that concern me the most.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:06 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

Have you had a full winter in Philly yet? You should know that this past winter was an extreme abberation - usually, Philly gets 2 snow storms all winter, absolute maximum! For those isolated instances, you can use the gf's car. There is no need for snow tires, or a second car.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:25 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

I've had three winters in Philly but did not have a car for the first two years. I was lucky last winter in the sense that I had an A4 quattro with Nokian Hakkapelitas on them. I've been told that last winter was an aberration, hence my leaning towards having only one car.

I just picked up a set of used Blizzaks (no Nokians in 17"s) for about 50% of what it would cost me new at the tirerack. I haven't mounted them so I could still resell them for what I got them for if I choose to go with the 2nd car route.

Part of my dilemma is the amount of miles I expect to drive and the (usually) mild winters we have here. If I drove everyday to work or the winter is as bad as say the midwest, then getting a 2nd car is a no brainer. It's this grey zone that's causing me a lot of angst!
Old 09-05-2003, 02:29 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rezal,

I've run my car all winter long for the past two years, using Pirelli Wintersport snow tires. I should add that my car is AWD, but it's performed perfectly.

Having said that, I probably won't be doing it any more if I can help it, at least not on snow / salt days. Even with careful attention to washing, I've seen a few white spots on various aluminum suspension parts consistent with minor salt damage according to a mechanic. I want my car to last me for the next 30 years, and I don't think the salt exposure will help.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:36 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Rezal- I live about 45 minutes north of Philly and have a similar issue. J-McDonald is right, Philly usually gets hammered only a few times a year and last winter was abnormally snowy. I grew up in New England and wouldn't hesitate to get a second car if living there.

However, the Mid-Atlantic states are more temperate and you may be able to get by with just the Porsche. Since you walk to the train station, you won't have to worry about digging a car out at 7:00 pm. I would opt for 'winterizing' the 993 and thus saving on extra insurance for another car, storage for a car that you'll drive a few times a year (at most) and all the other hassles. But then again, I've just begun to shop for my car, and when I get it, I may not even want to take it out in the rain! Good luck
Old 09-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Jack Kramer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rezal,

I live west of Philly and have to drive 15 miles to work every day. As such, I do have a winter car. Actually it's hardly a winter car - it's a '93 Toyota MR2 turbo outfitted with full snows. It's a little tank - I loved the looks I got last winter as I drove by 4x4 SUV's stuck in the dtich

I try to drive the 993 whenever I can and even with the abnormally bad winter we had last year, I still found many occasions to bring out the Porsche.

In a normal year, with the amount of driving you do, I think you could survive w/o another car. But, who knows what mother nature has in store for us. We could be in for big trouble if we continue to get the same amount of precip we've been getting in the winter

Good luck w/ your decision.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:24 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can get a cheap beater, do it. Porsches are as well protected against salt as any car out there, but salt is just EVIL. J&J may even be able to find you a beater that could be at least somewhat fun!

BTW, I have the perfect winter car for sale -- my wife's '95 Saab Convertible. Great in the snow, and you can put the top down on those cool but sunny winter days!
Old 09-05-2003, 03:28 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I would get a winter car, if I was in your situation. Much less to worry about and less wear and tear on the 993.

Older Toyota trucks are great for this, heck even newer ones are great. Also, you get some utility from the small pick-up.

Although, a used WRX would be an absolute blast to drive in the snow.

Quick Reply: Drive my C2 in winter or get 2nd car?