Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pissed Off – Need to Vent – Failed Smog due to Open Air Box

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 02:42 AM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow i cant believe they hassled you about a snorkel!
I took my chevy s10 pick up truck to get smoged and mind you i have a vortech supercharger, one of my cats is taken off, i blocked my egr valve, custom ECU programmed, and a BUNCH of other illegal things and they passed me at a government smog check in California. Only cost 70$
Old 09-04-2003, 08:28 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rich

what about wnakers who do own a p-car??
Old 09-04-2003, 01:34 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by B-Line
Hey Tom,
Also, I'm not sure about this, but I was told that even if your car is running clean and perfect and you fail smog more than X number of times (I'm not sure how many times) you risk having your car classified as a GROSS POLLUTOR. If this should happen, it's a huge uphill battle to have the car passed and might cause you a good deal of grief and $$$$.
Actually, I don't think that this is a risk in this case. Gross Polluter status is reserved for vehicles based on high emission levels only.

I had this happen when trying to register an older Colorado vehicle (HUGE carb jets) in California. Had to replace the carb and then go to the special station for re-test.

Tom
Old 09-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

what about ******* who do own a p-car??

There's a little eating establishment about 10 miles down the road from where I live called "******* Corner." I always chuckle when I see the sign.

******* Corner

Never actually been there, but apparently it's very popular with Merchant Bankers, sailors on Kuwaiti Tankers and men that throw cabers...
Old 09-04-2003, 05:01 PM
mtopp
Intermediate

I have one of those T-shirts from "******'s Corner". The nice subtle "grab your nuts" one. Not a bad place to have a drink or two, at least it wasn't when I worked up in Portland.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:08 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update: I snapped the snorkel into the air box last night. Took me about 1 minute. I went back to the smog station today and passed. At least I got that out of the way.

I had a little “discussion” with the tech after I had my keys in my pocket and my certificate in hand. He’s of the mindset that ANY changes from stock constitute a smog failure. I tried to educate him to no avail. In his mind, he needed to fail me and the PCV box was the most convenient box to check. Never mind that there is no box for air box modifications (just like there’s no box to check for cat back mufflers) nor were there any modifications to the PCV system.

I’ve filed a report with the BAR. I’d like to get the failed test off my DMV record. It will show up on the carfax or DMV reports when it comes time to sell the car. Not that I have any plans to do that anytime soon. I also asked for my money back. We’ll see…

Tom
’95 993
Old 09-05-2003, 03:53 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up that's great tom!

that's good news...
& tom, as far as ******* that own p-cars... that is another s-a-d subject. maybe we should start a thread on that??? l.a. seems to be a city with quite a few... more 996's though. (not to dis anybody)

later,

r.

Quick Reply: Pissed Off – Need to Vent – Failed Smog due to Open Air Box