Heacock Insurance - Switched from Leland West

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:52 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
While it's great that their (or any) customer service is pleasant and responds in a timely manner, it means little with respect to honoring an actual claim. That's where the "rubber hits the road." I'd love to see a few posts from those that actually filed a claim (minor, major, totalled) with testimonials.
I too would like to see the information u7t2p7 requested.

It seems that there are a lot more claims involving substantial damage, but not enough to total the car. Since these policies exclude diminished value claim the owner is not made whole. I personally have never had insurance that did not allow and excluded me from settling my entire claim with my company.

It's my understanding that if the at fault driver is uninsured or underinsured the policyholder is screwed, because he can not make a claim against his own insurance company for diminished value.

If I am wrong please correct me as I am not an expert.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:21 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Heacock Insurance - Switched from Leland West

I've been extolling the fact that Heacock has been fantastic to deal with for me, on some of these threads the last few months. Of course, the true test comes with some kind of claim.

As to the comments about having to have daily drivers in addition for their coverage, of course they are going to have some restrictions to put high values on what is being considered a classic or collector car. They want to limit some exposure. I'd never want to DD my 993 anyway.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:01 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I think you're best bet for dealing with diminished value is to "self insure." I see nothing in the 3 policies I have in front of me that says they cover any kind of diminished value. It sucks, but I can't find any way to protect against this kind of thing without doing it yourself.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think you're best bet for dealing with diminished value is to "self insure."
Not sure that I could do that in SC.

My regular insurance allows for diminished value to be taken into account when determining actual cash value of loss and or fair market value. That would have to be proven and can be with a comparable current appraisal from a expert appraiser.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:09 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

Interesting... I just passed on Grundy and Heacock both due to their 'communting' and 'errands' limitations and signed up with Leland West (my thread can be found in this forum also and I know many here have seen it). Leland West allows commuting to work and errand running - obviously within reason. At least now, if something happens a block from my office I won't have to argue why I was in the vicinity of my office on a Monday morning. Very happy with the staff at Leland West and the agreed value on the 3 cars I have insured with them. They turned down my 500E, but hopefully in time I can put that car on the policy also.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:07 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Rich offer $ levels for our C2S coupes ....

Agreed, an offer for the C2S at the $150k level seems easy enough. A head start payment on a new 991 GT3 would ease the "fond 993 memories" if that were the case. For some, their 993's aren't for sale. "Go offer to buy some other 993" ......

In light of the C2S coupe's more recent market appreciation, and recently having raised the "agreed value" coverage level, I'm sure the newest $ level chosen lag's the market some, just not as much as when at $50K

I dunno ... $150K head start purchase funds towards a 991 GT3 or stand pat with the ole 993 C2S ordered new, spent autobahn/Werk 1 time with etc. Nice to have choices, eh?

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
$150k for a 2s?

I would have taken that and giggled all the way to the bank.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:44 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone chime on whether resto or repair costs out of pocket can be used to justify increases in agreed value?
Old 08-04-2015, 08:36 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by il pirata
Curious what the policy declaration page specifically says regarding the verbiage from their WEB page. The underlined words are from their site.

The vehicle is always kept in a fully enclosed, locked, and private garage whenever the vehicle is not being driven.
The vehicle is only used for pleasure use and is never used for back-up transportation or errand running.
The vehicle is only driven a limited number of miles per year.
Has anyone answered questions presented?
If say 50 vehicles were badly vandalized in hotel parking lot at a porsche parade; no coverage?
Old 11-17-2015, 12:44 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

I talked to heacock about covering my cab.
interestingly rather than exclude events like hagerty and leland, heacock says I can only drive the car for specific events.
so, hagerty/leland excludes errands or driving to work.
heacock says I can only drive my car under 3 conditions, car show, club event or special occasion dinner.
couple examples I gave to heacock
beautiful sunny day so I decide to put the top down and drive to 5 guys burgers for lunch.
not covered, weather doesn't qualify as a special event.
drive out to the track to work on my track car, this is a club type event since my track car is only used for club type racing.
cab not covered because the club type event doesn't include my cab.
bottom line is any trip where I could use my regular daily use car disqualifies my collector type car from being used.
sadly I will continue to toss the dice with normal car coverage.
I prefer to drive my car as much as I can, while that means less than 3k miles per year it also disqualifies it for stated value coverage.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:59 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by k722070
I talked to heacock about covering my cab.
interestingly rather than exclude events like hagerty and leland, heacock says I can only drive the car for specific events.
so, hagerty/leland excludes errands or driving to work.
heacock says I can only drive my car under 3 conditions, car show, club event or special occasion dinner.
couple examples I gave to heacock
beautiful sunny day so I decide to put the top down and drive to 5 guys burgers for lunch.
not covered, weather doesn't qualify as a special event.
drive out to the track to work on my track car, this is a club type event since my track car is only used for club type racing.
cab not covered because the club type event doesn't include my cab.
bottom line is any trip where I could use my regular daily use car disqualifies my collector type car from being used.
sadly I will continue to toss the dice with normal car coverage.
I prefer to drive my car as much as I can, while that means less than 3k miles per year it also disqualifies it for stated value coverage.
quite different from what I was told.

They told me that it was covered for anything other than daily driving.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:28 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I sorta rely on "burden of proof". I am just a tad irrational when it comes to things I care about. You are NOT going to stick it to me, if some dumb POS ruins my car as I drive it through the hills on ANY day. As long as I am not exceeding the annual mileage, taking it to Walmart on Sunday, or sitting on the 405 at 9am, it's all "special driving".
Old 11-17-2015, 01:30 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

all these 'agreed value/collector car' policies are pieces of sh*t. they all say they're "car guys for car guys" and that's a bunch of bs. they're all insurance companies looking to disqualify you for any possible reason. i'm with leland west because i saw them as the 'least restrictive', which is basically what we're all using as the primary factor. bottom line is, if you have a car worth more than a 'disposable' car, you're pretty much rolling the dice EVERY single time you drive it. it's a shame because we're all just trying to drive what are terrific cars on an occasional basis.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:05 PM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there a consensus or a to go insurance for rennlisters with 993 daily drivers? 993 4s here approaching 200k miles... Fast...
Old 11-17-2015, 03:24 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Same here, provided it's parked securely at home, and not driven more than 3,000 miles per year. My contact at Heacock is Jackie T.

Andreas
Old 11-17-2015, 05:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Same here. Their restriction was daily commuting, and errands (grocery store runs). I popped for 6k/year miles.

Quick Reply: Heacock Insurance - Switched from Leland West