993 Forum 1995-1998

V1 Stealth Radar Box

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 02:52 PM
affman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Randy,
That InvisiMirror from ApexCone.com looks great -- I like the idea - clean and simple.

Anyone have any experience with it?
Old 09-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have never had a Radar detector before, so that is a good point. I did not think about the red lights flashing for ALL to see!!

I will keep looking!
Old 09-19-2003, 12:32 AM
Tech-Law
Pro

Couldn't agree more Ron... the last place you want to be is leading the pack. Brake lights are the best radar detectors out there.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:49 AM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

The ONLY advantage my Bel has over the V1 is that it has a dark mode. The whole display goes dark save one small character to denote what mode it is in, you can't see the dang thing even when you are standing right behind the car = no followers mooching off my detector.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:51 AM
Tech-Law
Pro

The V1 also has a dark mode.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:39 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Tech Law,
One of my friends who runs a V1 swears there is no dark, or dim mode. Does he have an earlier model, or just operator error?

Are you referring to a dark mode when using the optional remote display?
Old 09-21-2003, 09:27 AM
Tech-Law
Pro

I run both V1 detectors with the remote units mounted just below the dash. I actually never use the V1 without the remote so I can't tell you if there's a dark mode. Sorry for the lack of knowledge here.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:01 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The V1 has no dark mode. However, when used w/the remote all displays are shown only on the remote so the main unit is dark.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:08 PM
AZ Rich
Intermediate

Hey Tech-Law,

Any updates on the stealth box for the front windshield?

I have decided to get a Valentine 1 after getting more info about the K-40, and would like to get an "OEM look" for a place to mount the box.

I also am considering the remote display option in the tach at a later date.

Please let us know how the design process is going.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2003, 01:25 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

I have my V1 mounted near my rear view mirror with no remote display. A friend of mine following behind in a Boxster S could not see anything from behind. Don't see why I need to spend more $.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:48 PM
GeezC4S
Racer

Yo Tech-Law

I been away for awhile, glad to see this thread is still going strong. Any news or pics of the above mirror stealth box (V1)? I'm still very interested.

Thanks
Gee
Old 10-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool remote

Rezal:

Because placing the remote in the instruments or near them keeps the arrows in your line of sight. You will find as you become accustomed to the V1 that not only the arrows but also the 4 rankings of signal will occupy your attention. You will need to decide how imminent a threat each one is and react accordingly. Then you will learn to love the V1. Trying to decipher the signal rankings and the arrows by looking to the side and up is frustrating; glancing at the dash in front of you will be MUCH easier. I tried it both ways.

I also believe the display is visible from outside the car, as I have experienced several times "followers" who would stay with me but not pass me no matter what I did. And it happened a couple of times in the day, so they must have spotted the V1 by the mirror. I have the wiring concealed so that was not a factor.

Old 10-10-2003, 12:29 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Ron:

I've been a V1 user since the early 90s. Maybe because I've always had it in approximately the same location but I've never had a problem interpreting the signals. As for having followers, I've found out that some drivers can "guess" if you have a radar detector, others are just don't have the guts to lead and would rather follow a fast car. Either case, I usually jam on the gas and leave them behind and then slow down to a relatively more sensible speed.

Like I said before, a friend following in a Boxster tried to play "spot the V1" and couldn't see it either from behind or from the side. I assume that someone else who didn't know exactly where I had it would have an even harder time.

FWIW, if a remote display or stealth box makes you happy, so be it. It's not my place to judge that. I can only share what my simple solution does for me. Btw, I do have the wire hidden in the A pillar just like most people.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool hide and seek

Rezal:

I know what you mean about taking the point; I have been guilty of that game where I let someone else lead the way into Smokey's grasp. But lately I have just done as you suggest: punch it to break away and then go about my business. I only do this if the guy hangs too closely on my tail or in the adjacent lane. Otherwise, I think the more drivers at or near my speed the better because it makes it less likely I will stand out. They must be polite and competent though for me to stick around.

Recently I found myself in exactly the situation you described whereby I surged ahead to lose the shadow who knew I had the V1. But later he would catch up and would not pass under any condition. After a couple of hours, we waved to each other and went our separate ways. Some Japanese sedan that seemed to top out at around 100, so I had no trouble losing him.....for awhile, until I made it to the next town or traffic jam. He would eventually catch up to me, unless I didn't slow back to 100 or less. Got to be interesting. I didn't like him too close at those speeds and felt unsure of his car and abilities so I would just disappear.

Old 10-10-2003, 06:09 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

No progress guys - my bad - my wife is 8+ months pregnant and work is crazy right now. I haven't forgotten though... stay tuned.

Quick Reply: V1 Stealth Radar Box