Sponsored by:

Off Topic: Audio Delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 09:09 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Off Topic: Audio Delete

As I posted some months ago, I've been looking for a daily driver.

The GT4 came out and I've put my name on the list for one. Its only got 2 seats but dang what a nice car!

For all of you who have ordered and purchased cars from Porsche, I've got a question about the audio delete which, so far, the dealership has not been able to answer.

I'm inclined to order the audio delete and add a stereo to the car. However, I have been told that the GT4 audio delete does NOT include the windshield antenna, speaker mounts, antenna amplifier, or any speaker wiring.

If that is true, I'm inclined just to get the standard CDR as a starting point.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice, speculation, sternly worded warnings??
Old 03-12-2015, 09:51 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

On a GT car, the thought of a radio (or a/c, or sunroof) delete warms my heart. Thought of adding back a radio, well, no comment.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:01 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

If the CDR is a no cost option, what's the point of deleting it? And yes, the "delete" option also deletes all the wiring. My GT3 has the standard CDR-30 radio which only came with door speakers. No wiring anywhere else and the speaker enclosures in the rear seat area are hollow. So it will be a lot of extra work and dismantling just to add wiring and speaker support that could've been there from the factory in the first place.

IIRC radio and A/C delete were only available on the 997 RS, maybe that's why your dealer can't click that box.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:08 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Default Sternly worded warning

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
On a GT car, the thought of a radio (or a/c, or sunroof) delete warms my heart. Thought of adding back a radio, well, no comment.

Matt,

I promise I'll put in a really, really, really light radio and ONLY use it when the car is NOT moving. If/When I do use the radio I'll ONLY play http://www.soundsnap.com/tags/race_track music and I'll feel guilty the entire time.

Honest! (Oddly, I suspected that some/many/most rennlisters would say, "WTF, why do you want a radio in a GT car, buy a chevy" )

That said, do you know what the GT4 audio delete leaves?

Ilko, there is an audio delete button on the configuration site. The CDR is no cost, I just thought that it might be less of a PITA to start with nothing rather than remove stuff. Thanks for the info on the GT3 setup.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:24 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Pegdrag, I was just pulling your leg. No, I don't know the specific implications/configuration of the 'radio delete' on the GT4.

Congrats on getting the new ride - should be a blast!

Cheers

Matt
Old 03-12-2015, 10:38 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Matt,

I'm excited. Third Porsche, first one ordered. No, excited is not good enough...thrilled!

If you think the radio delete decision was/is hard, I've spent weeks messing around with the dang colors. Carmine Red/Crystal White/Deep Blue/Sapphire Blue/Yellow. Deviated stitching, leather on the cupholder/leather on the seatbacks?

Now the rumor is flying that there will be PTS before my car hits the build queue. Have you looked at the number of colors on the paint to spec list?

I really, really, really looked at weights on radio's. Of course, then I'd have to research lighter pants and diets.

Whole thing is silly but fun, too.

Best,

Mark

Quick Reply: Off Topic: Audio Delete