Sponsored by:

Where are 993 values now ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:44 AM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
Sounds about right. My 96 C4S with 28k miles would not leave for less than $150K.
WOW , but what about my driver C2 coupe with 113,000 on it.
Not wide body and not a garage queen with no miles.
based on this thread $35-40 ???
Old 03-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of difficult valuing from a distance but on the Canadian west coast there is a healthy following of 993 enthusiasts. Most of the time there are very few cars for sale locally and with the demise of the CDN$, the opportunities to purchase across the border has become far more expensive in CDN$ terms. If the local interest is there, a buyer has many benefits to buy locally. When importing a German car less than 25 years old into Canada, duty is payable. This duty gets added to the price paid for the car and GST (and PST) is calculated on THAT total. According to our American board members, the car can get reimported into the states without more financial outlays...good to know. I was looking for a 993 in the fall and bought one that had been brought in from the States. I drove a few in the 35-45k (CDN) range and all required suspension work...some extensive suspension work. The car I eventually bought had to be "cheap" enough for the hassle and $ to replace the original coil-overs and required bushings. Cosmetically these cars were very nice but in driving and the PPI, one of them ended up requiring (according to the shop) $10k in suspension work (8k US$). Anyway....valuations based on few pics is VERY difficult. Anyway Good luck, she looks very nice.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:56 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Are the bumpers the only part of the car resprayed? If not what else, who did the work, what brand of paint, how close does it really match, what is the condition of the paint (swirls, scratches, has it been been professional corrected, etc) State of interior? How much documentation do you have on the car? Are the original manuals, tool kit, air pump, etc with the car.

It's really hard to put a value on a car without lots of detail, and really good pictures.

Having said all this, if it was an original US car it is easy to being back to the US, and drivers are going north of $30K, how much depends on the above and more.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:09 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Originally Posted by Drisump
Kind of difficult valuing from a distance but on the Canadian west coast there is a healthy following of 993 enthusiasts. Most of the time there are very few cars for sale locally and with the demise of the CDN$, the opportunities to purchase across the border has become far more expensive in CDN$ terms. If the local interest is there, a buyer has many benefits to buy locally. When importing a German car less than 25 years old into Canada, duty is payable. This duty gets added to the price paid for the car and GST (and PST) is calculated on THAT total. According to our American board members, the car can get reimported into the states without more financial outlays...good to know. I was looking for a 993 in the fall and bought one that had been brought in from the States. I drove a few in the 35-45k (CDN) range and all required suspension work...some extensive suspension work. The car I eventually bought had to be "cheap" enough for the hassle and $ to replace the original coil-overs and required bushings. Cosmetically these cars were very nice but in driving and the PPI, one of them ended up requiring (according to the shop) $10k in suspension work (8k US$). Anyway....valuations based on few pics is VERY difficult. Anyway Good luck, she looks very nice.
Suspension work. Walrod front lower control arm bushings, Bilstein Pss9s,turbo sways,4 wheel alignment.
New steering rack at Manhattan dealer at 85k. I have digital corner scales but haven,t checked corner balance lately.
alignment done after engine trans removed for clutch
also installed RS eng mounts and Rennline mount brace while in there.
I imported the car to Canada myself 13% HST paid plus 6% German car duty plus I think it it was less than 15 yrs old at the time so I RIV inspected it too .

Last edited by johnsjmc; 03-13-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:21 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Originally Posted by il pirata
Are the bumpers the only part of the car resprayed? If not what else, who did the work, what brand of paint, how close does it really match, what is the condition of the paint (swirls, scratches, has it been been professional corrected, etc) State of interior? How much documentation do you have on the car? Are the original manuals, tool kit, air pump, etc with the car.

It's really hard to put a value on a car without lots of detail, and really good pictures.

Having said all this, if it was an original US car it is easy to being back to the US, and drivers are going north of $30K, how much depends on the above and more.
tool kit, pump, spare .
Limited records from PO.
I tracked down some service done at a Manhattan Pcar dealer
I am a licensed tech retired in Ont. I did the clutch,brakes,tires,alignment,etc at a shop here in town where I used to work or at my home, and have those records.
Until the local P car dealer opened here I was possibly one of only a handful of techs in my town with early air cooled experience. I started working on these cars in 73.
The paint match is very good. there are a couple scratches here and there a buffing would address.
There was previous paint work to the driver,s door area ,although not shown on carfax. That repair painted over the plastic film on the leading edge of the rear whellwell. My painter taped off and painted the yellowed one on the other side to match . base clear but I don,t recall the brand.He was hesitant to pull them both ,not knowing what was underneath would survive without damage. They could both be pulled and changed out but we didn,t have replacements available except about a week away.
I am talking about a good driver car with good mechanicals, common suspension issues addressed, new clutch ,tires brakes and other upgrades.
Still VERY presentable paint and interior .

Last edited by johnsjmc; 03-13-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:58 PM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

I would list it at about $40 k usd You will get plenty of interest from CDN and US buyers.
Don't forget to put in your ad it is formerly a US car.

People love these cars. Last night I had a lady in a BMW X5 follow me to where I was parking, take cell phone pics then give a thumbs up. 993 coupes are not very common in Canada as the original price was high and many have been exported.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:24 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

+1
This happens often enough lately. When the admirer learns we're the original owner having ordered coupe ..... its "Well I'll be Gawd dam!" here's my card, if ever you should sell..." O and you have those kwel hard back seats... are they heated? Yeap. Too funny. "What have you done to it? All production stock with exception of a few things the Porsche factory did when the car went home to Germany for a year or so. "O man, you luck S.O.B., Here's my card" Way funny.

The kids at my daughters H.S. car line get a kick out of the vintage 911s driving through ... there are a few "80s Carrera's, several 964's and our 993 C2S. ... Some thing's never change.

Originally Posted by TouringTeg
Edit/Delete text.

People love these cars. Last night I had a lady in a BMW X5 follow me to where I was parking, take cell phone pics then give a thumbs up. 993 coupes are not very common in Canada as the original price was high and many have been exported.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:11 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 310 Posts

I get stopped or get a thumbs up from someone almost every time I take the car out- These cars look so good out in the wild- I was truly joking when I said $ 100K for the car- although it would be tough to sell it at almost any price, i'd take $ 100K then add another $ 50-75 to it and go get a TT.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:45 PM
Peter288gto
Advanced

What I thought I heard the air cooled bubble was sure to burst!
Old 03-14-2015, 12:27 AM
Drisump
Racer

Originally Posted by johnsjmc
Suspension work. Walrod front lower control arm bushings, Bilstein Pss9s,turbo sways,4 wheel alignment.
New steering rack at Manhattan dealer at 85k. I have digital corner scales but haven,t checked corner balance lately.
alignment done after engine trans removed for clutch
also installed RS eng mounts and Rennline mount brace while in there.
I imported the car to Canada myself 13% HST paid plus 6% German car duty plus I think it it was less than 15 yrs old at the time so I RIV inspected it too .
Sounds good, I don't know about your area but in BC $50k CDN asking ($40k US) doesn't seem out of line at all. In fact if she's tight all around, I would maybe ask for more. Cheers
Old 03-14-2015, 04:01 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the same car with the same miles and some of the same mods. If I were to sell mine I wouldn't take less than $40k given that I have all the records etc.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:06 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
I have the same car with the same miles and some of the same mods. If I were to sell mine I wouldn't take less than $40k given that I have all the records etc.
Records= +$7-10K
Old 03-14-2015, 04:35 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The vintage car market is being propped up a combination of economic factors having little to do with the actual cars themselves. If you have a 993 and you love it and drive it, keep it. If you need to sell it do it now. If you think it is an investment, change your financial advisor.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:37 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Based on your description, I'd say $38k - $42k.
Now that we know there are no issues with bringing the car back to the US; as it was originally a US car...

I'd say ask for the upper value number...You can always fade based upon any issues that may need to be addressed, but I have never known a private seller that would get MORE than his asking price.

...Unless of course there was a feeding frenzy on the FS post, and the seller is less than ethical...Its been known to happen.

Records= +$7-10K
Old 03-15-2015, 12:49 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by six gun
Records= +$7-10K
What I meant was my car is clean, never hit, OG paint, records from day one and all PCA/RL ownership including the last 11 years with me. I'll never sell so I don't care but have turned down offers in the high $30ks in the last year. I don't think $40k is a bad place to start.

Quick Reply: Where are 993 values now ?