Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera S poster - how to scan large images?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 11:15 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Carrera S poster - how to scan large images?

Carrera S fans - I bought a terrific poster that was used at auto shows in 97/98 to introduce this car, which didn't make it into dealer brochures in 1997, the first year of its US introduction. It reminds me of the "kills bugs fast" poster of the TT. I'd like to scan it for everyone to see, but it's huge (about 2' by 3'). Anyone know how to scan in large items?

Will
Old 01-01-2002, 01:27 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mabe not a hig tech idea, but how about taking a photo of it, than scanning the photo? Regards
Old 01-01-2002, 01:35 AM
George Helser
Instructor

Will,

You might lay the poster out flat and take a snapshot with a digital camera. That is more
than enough resolution to post it here.

Then, there are companies that make wide format color scanners (40+” x unlimited
length). A local service bureau could scan the poster in high resolution and with the
right equipment could also make a nearly identical copy in the same size or larger or
smaller. They would charge about $100 to make a copy or just $25 for a scan.

Regards,
George

In sunny Arizona
Old 01-01-2002, 10:14 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Or you can scan it piece by piece, then add all the images together with Paint Shop Pro or similar program. (w/ high enough resolution, you should be able to put the pieces together close enough).
Old 01-02-2002, 08:39 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts
Will:

Can you please tell me (us) where you acquired the poster? (I keep my eye out on eBay for such items...)

Please take a digital snapshot and post for us.

TIA,
Chris C. Atlanta
Old 01-02-2002, 11:07 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris,

Apparently, Porsche never printed a USA sales brochure that featured the Carrera S, because it was introduced mid-year and was a very limited production run. What I bought was an auto show brochure (by Porsche) that describes the Carrera S and the Boxster. It folds out to a big poster of the Carrera S on one side. I’ll get it scanned or take a photo of it for you soon; stay tuned.

In the mean time, I dug back in my old correspondence and found who I bought it from. His name is John, and he goes by the name of dphiloxon on eBay. You’ve undoubtedly seen his items, since he specializes in Porsche brochures. You can reach him at Belljn@aol.com. I paid $24 for it, including shipping.

Good hunting.

Will
Old 01-02-2002, 11:30 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, guys, here are photos of the front and back of the poster. The original is, as I said before, about 2X3'.

When I figure out how to scan it in and make a nice digital file of it, I'll post it.

Will
Old 01-03-2002, 10:20 AM
Snoops
Advanced

Will

How lucky to have one of those posters. It looks amazing.

Lets hope their is a way
Old 01-03-2002, 10:45 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I bought the same type of brochure from Ebay for my year. Turns out the poster car for the 95 993 new release was Speed Yellow. I got it drymounted and now it hangs in my garage. Not sure whom I bought it from, but these things pop up on ebay a lot. That one looks great. Ony concern is that when mounting, the creases are impossible to remove.

E. J.

Quick Reply: Carrera S poster - how to scan large images?