Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All I wanted to do was polish my exhaust tips tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 01:07 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
AJ,

You must have learned a valuable lesson early in life: Don't cry over spilled milk. I like your attitude. Stuff happens.

If you find out the rear aluminum support needs replacing just let me know.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:11 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi AJ,

I am really sorry to hear about your accident

I'm glad that you are okay though and I think we can all learn from your good attitude towards this accident.

Hope that you'll get your car fixed in time so that you won't miss your DE.

Best wishes.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:13 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by ZCAT3:
<strong>

As an aside, I would strongly recommend you see a doctor now. The main reason is that soft tissue damage often takes a few days (or more) to show up in terms of aches and pains. I would be wise to have a medical professional give you a once over now in case you develop some issues going forward.</strong><hr></blockquote>

... and then a laywer

All the best with the repairs
Tito
Old 09-05-2002, 01:14 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

English 101
lawyer
Old 09-05-2002, 02:36 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]I'll definitely get the splitter, and will look into getting the Euro bumper. I'm also going to get Armorfend, or something comparable, to keep the chips off the front end. Do they offer a cutout for the Euro bumper style, or will it require a custom cutout? <hr></blockquote>

AJ,

when I replaced my front bumper cover with the Euro bumper cover, I also added the 3M Stongard. I asked Stongard to omit the bumperettes cut-out and got the Stongard w/o the cut-out.

Take care,
Old 09-05-2002, 05:11 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts
AJ,

I honestly dont think I could have remained as calm as you have been through this ordeal. I admire you. I would have cried over spilled milk, so to speak. Let us know how everthing turns out. Make sure to see a doctor asap.

Take care!

Chris
Old 09-05-2002, 11:24 PM
A.J. - 95 993
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by chris walrod:
<strong>I honestly dont think I could have remained as calm as you have been through this ordeal. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not saying I was calm through the whole thing. After a few expletives as I jumped out of the car, I did manage to cool off. I got it out of my system.

[quote]Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<strong>If you find out the rear aluminum support needs replacing just let me know. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I will. I'll e-mail you. Do you have any of the front support bars or compression cylinders?

Not including the aluminum supports ($500 ea), the price will be beyond $6K. That's without removing any panels and looking at "internal damage". That's also using cheap Kentucky labor rates. My friend Matt at Bluegrass Auto referred me to an excellent repair shop. I had a hard time finding the shop, had a long day getting estimates and trying to get a rental car, and arrived just as they were supposed to be closing. They came out and looked at the car and were big 911 fans. And they routinely do repairs on Ferrari's and other Italians. They had personal Porsche stories to tell, and knew what DE's were. Enthusiasts. That makes me feel good. I asked if they would mind if I supplied parts, as long as we could agree on arrangements. They didn't mind, and told me that if the parts were a little more than what the insurance will pay for, they had ways of taking care of it. I said I figured I'd save money (Gert, you will be getting an order in the next few days). They told me that any money that I save, they would give me the money saved over standard dealer prices. That's assuming the insurance company wants to pay the shop directly rather than cut me a check. I was impressed. I started to tell them of the hassle I expected with getting a rental, and they interrupted and indicated that the front latch looked compromised, and they strongly recommend against driving the car. "That one works every time." I smiled and said they have already given me an account number to charge the car to.

Question - they said that since both bumpers will have to be repainted, they were going to repaint the fenders and part of the rear end, being careful to point out details of painting that I didn't quite catch. Is that a good idea, or should I ask that they not paint over unaffected sheet metal? On the one one hand, I would like to have the fenders painted as well because then there would be next to NO stone chips on the car. But aftermarket paint, unless done obsessively (993RS!) is never as good. I know opinions tend to be varied and hotly contested on this subject, but I'm opening the flood gates.

My other saga - my wife's A4: the Audi service chief (?) at Bluegrass (Marty) said he hadn't inspected the car, but he heard someone pull forward 10' in it. He suspected the flywheel was the problem. The independent shop resurfaced it. He wasn't even sure if there were machine shops around who knew how to do that (it's dual mass), but Bluegrass always replaces them when they're worn. So this will be interesting. I'll get the official word tomorrow.

My workmates are teasing me becaues I refuse to drive a Taurus for a rental. Finding a rental in Louisville as "nice" as a Maxima or even a Lincoln LS has been quite a challenge. Heck, I'd even settle for a Bonneville. Just suggest a Grand Marquis!!!!

Quick Reply: All I wanted to do was polish my exhaust tips tonight...