Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A car to make Robert Linton drool...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 12:41 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Post A car to make Robert Linton drool...

Seen at the Road America club race, A Kelly Moss completely carbon fiber 996 GT2. This guy spent 60K on molds to make every body panel out of carbon fiber as well as a carbon fiber dash (not the face but the whole dash!) The total weight of the car with fluids was 2100 lbs I did not have my camera but Mike in Chi was there and may have taken some pics that he could post. The car was quick and was running 2nd in the sprint race until something happend (spin?) I think he finished in 4th... If this guy met Robert and his bag of tricks, the car could be sub 2000 lbs!
Old 09-04-2002, 01:16 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

With carbon fiber body panels, do you replace them when the car takes a hit? I assume that you can't do any type of "patch" work. Sounds very expensive.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:59 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Sam N:
<strong>With carbon fiber body panels, do you replace them when the car takes a hit? I assume that you can't do any type of "patch" work. Sounds very expensive.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sam,
I am pretty sure you can patch CF. I know a race team in Cincy that has a guy they would use to repair parts after an accident or track abuse. He is now with Champion Motorsports (Audi R8) he travels with them from track to track. How they do it I don't know.
Greg
Old 09-04-2002, 03:09 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Greg,

Sounds interesting, but reminds me of working with fiberglass, i.e. stinky, toxic fumes. Not sure if the process is similar though. I'm used to seeing the Audis with the quick change pieces sitting on pit row ready for a 30 second replacment.

Audi should make someone available for customers with the A8 aluminum body sedan. Apparently its a PITA to repair those body panels also.

Sam

Quick Reply: A car to make Robert Linton drool...