Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Cant decide between Fister Stage II or Stage III - help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 12:20 PM
suigeneris
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cant decide between Fister Stage II or Stage III - help!

Heard good things about FD Motorsports, so I sent some OEM mufflers to them this week. However, I just cant decide between Stage II and III !

From the countless vids on YouTube, it sounds like the Stage II has a good "raspy" idle and is louder (but tuneful) when you put your foot down. By comparison the Stage III sounds like its more "burbly" idle and is louder (more rumbly) when you put your foot down. Darin at FD said this is pretty much fair to say, but he really loves the Stage III and has them on his car.

I've had other exotic metal and the other sounds I've been "used to" are an E46 M3 (which is very raspy but not as tuneful as Porsche straight 6) and a 360CS (which is V8 so completely different sound but it is LOUD at 105DB when you put your foot down). On the flip side, I tried straight pipes once on my M3 and it was just too loud it drowned out the engine noise. In other words, I'm used to some loudness, but I dont want to make the 993 sound like something its not - I just want PURE PORSCHE sound, but louder.

My concern over Stage III is that the loudness might mask some of that Porsche character (or drown out the sound of the engine) and I dont think many people have heard both in person (its difficult choosing from YouTube)

It would be great to have some opinions based on the above - do you think I should go for Stage II or Stage III?
Old 02-04-2015, 12:30 PM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had both...remember if you go with Stage III...you cannot convert back to Stage II...so worst case try Stage IIs first and if you change your mind, Darin can fix those to Stage III
Old 02-04-2015, 12:40 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I chose IIs, simply because I wanted a subtle, deeper tone, without making the car sound like it's modified. I think that's the big difference between the two stages:

StageII = Subtle, OEM+, like what motorsound pkg should've been
StageIII = Aftermarket exhaust, car sounds like it has 400hp

Both are BADASS! But it's so subjective and everyone has a different vision for their car. I don't think there is a right/wrong answer here.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:05 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts

I was in the exact same dilemma. I went with Stage III first and had an agreement with Darin to change it if not liked. Stage III was way to loud on my CAB and I didn't like it. It gave an impression of power what my CAB does not stand up to. So I changed to Stage II and I'm very happy with. Not loud at low RPM and gets full sound with RPM.

Jack
The following users liked this post:
Chris-911-HUL (12-06-2020)
Old 02-04-2015, 01:33 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Very happy with Stage II. Low throaty rumble, but barely perceptible when cruising. Responds beautifully when you step on it.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:37 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I firmly believe it boils down to individual taste, and therefore is very subjective. I think on this one, you may have to make a decision based upon how you see yourself and your car.

Do you desire the illusion of modified power; or a lower, more reality based sound that is in line with true flat 6 output of a NA 993.

Hopefully, Lucky J and Jakob's replies were enough to push you to one side of the fence or other.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:39 PM
911Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also faced that same decision. It is very subjective, and unfortunately the youtube videos do not do either the Stage II or Stage III justice.

What helped me make the decision was actually hearing both versions at a 993 meeting. Once I heard the sounds in person, it was easy for me to make the decision.

If there is any way possible you could listen to both them, I think it would help you decide.

I went with the Fister Stage II and large oval tips, plus a motorsound airbox cover. To me, that combination sounded like the traditional air-cooled, high-horsepower 911s of past years. And that is what I was looking for.

I can say that I have not turned the radio on after a year of driving. It might have stopped working some time ago for all I know. The radio just can't compete with that great air-cooled 911 sound.

But it is very subjective. I have musician friends that can (and do) spend an entire evening debating the differences in sound from their Martin Guitars and both of them are playing the exact same model. I think this is the same with an engine/exhaust note.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:50 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

I have both. If I had to pick one, it'd be the IIIs, without a doubt. I don't think they are very loud at all.
Maybe post your location, someone local can let you hear it in person.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:03 PM
rlsammax
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also went through the same dilemma…Listen to a lot of utube video's. Also listen to my friends who have Stage III.. I also have the motor sound package. The best way is try and listen to both in Person. Then determine your driving style. Also, how do your local law enforcement deal with loud mufflers. I have found the louder the car muffler the greater risk you have in betting pulled over. Also, how close are you to your neighbors. Coming home late, down shifting at 1:00am can make neighbors a little upset on a not summer's night. I settled on Stage II because the stage III's were just too loud when you get your foot on the pedal. I am happy with the Stage II's.

Ralph
Old 02-04-2015, 03:18 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

I was also in your boat, after talking to a few guys (several who went to Stage 2's from Stage 3's) I decided on the Stage 2's. Not obnoxious nor offensive but plenty loud when you lay into the throttle......Just Right.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:51 PM
Eurotrio
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Go with III. Then when you get used to it, go with cat bypass
Old 02-04-2015, 05:05 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by suigeneris
It would be great to have some opinions based on the above - do you think I should go for Stage II or Stage III?
Best advice is to hear them both in person like 911Fahrer did and then decide. You anywhere near Dallas? If so, you could hear just about every combo of Fisters in person on Mar. 21. See Dallas 993 Gathering thread.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:27 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Best advice is to hear them both in person like 911Fahrer did and then decide. You anywhere near Dallas? If so, you could hear just about every combo of Fisters in person on Mar. 21. See Dallas 993 Gathering thread.
agreed
don't waste your time on utube

hear them in person
Old 02-04-2015, 06:33 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by luckyJ
remember if you go with Stage III...you cannot convert back to Stage II...so worst case try Stage IIs first and if you change your mind, Darin can fix those to Stage III
Knowing Darin and his high level of customer service (and the demand for these mufflers), if you decided you didn't like the Stage III's, I am fairly certain he would swap them out for II's. Another option would be to sell them here for full price; as there would be no wait time as their typically is. Lastly, these mufflers tend to settle down after 500+ miles of driving and they become a bit quieter. Personally I don't think there is THAT much difference between 2's and 3's and if you are on the fence I would go with 3's especially if you have a coupe.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:51 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your neighbors might not like your Stage lll's

Quick Reply: Cant decide between Fister Stage II or Stage III - help!