Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, yeah, yeah b-line!!!!!*lol*
Old 12-30-2001, 01:20 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
B-Line:

I am sure that after you buy a Porsche; you will have plenty of useful information to add to this board. I think you came on pretty strong telling everyone that the value of their cars was dropping like mad and that they should therefore sell one to you at a very low price.

All this may be true, but no one wants to be told something like that in quite the way you did it. I have visited and been a part of other boards like the M3 board, for instance. Some of the other boards are clogged with a lot of useless chatter. To date, this board has been a place where useful information has been freely exchanged with a minimum amount of impassioned bickering.

I believe the prices of these cars have come down to the point where a lot of people can now afford them who once couldn’t. This may change the complexion of this board and that should happen if the majority of its users change. I personally have enjoyed the collegial and non-challenging camaraderie this board has historically offered and hope that it continues to evolve along its present path.

I do wish you the best of luck in finding exactly what you seek. I have found that when you simply ask questions on this board, you get some very well thought out answers and are given the opportunity to take advantage of some hard-earned wisdom for free.

Porsche dreams to you,

Hank Cohn
Old 12-30-2001, 01:45 AM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hank,

What you said.

Will
Old 12-30-2001, 02:02 AM
B-Line home
Racer

Hank,

I agree.. you right... me wrong...

for the record, I was not stating that someone should sell me their car cheap. I was just trying to illustrate what I had found about the market in general. If you remeber from that post, I was also specifically talking about my car which I sold at an extremely reduced value.

I definately got off on the wrong foot with this board and I readily admit that. I am also reminded of it everyday when I look at my user rating

I hate to be a thorn in the side and that is what I feel I have become.
I believe my intentions have also been greatly misread. Or, my posts have been greatly mistyped. Either way my intention was to become a valued member of this community. I think the posters on this board are of a much higher caliber than anywhere else I have posted and I am learning to moderate my posts.
I am glad this board is not made up of spoiled college kids and flame starters. I do not wish to incite these kind of values either.

I would like to note that I have also spent a great deal of time and effort tying to share my knowledge with those whom I believe I can help. From tracking a car, to dealerships I've dealt with, to driving schools, personal experience, and anything and everything inbetween.

I do feel that I can be a very usefull resource to posters on this board and I do not wish to earn a reputation as a nuisance.
I post often and frequently and monitor all the conversations. I jump in when and if I think I can help.

I can only apoligize so much for things I have done wrong. Or, I can stop posting. My desire is to find my place among all these Pcar enthusiasts and owners. Hopefully it will be a welcome place.

So again,
I'm sorry about the value post. I'm sorry for sharing my experiences and frustrations with certain used car salesman. And, I am sorry that there is so much hostility towards me.
Have a Happy and a Healty New Year...
B-Line...
Old 12-30-2001, 02:10 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

I'm sorry for sharing my experiences and frustrations with certain used car salesman.
be line, I hope you have a great new year!*lol*
Old 12-30-2001, 02:26 AM
B-Line home
Racer

Phil,
I wasn't talking about you.....
man, no matter what I say someone wants to jump down my throat.
..I was talking about a car dealership that told me they went through the car head to toe. After a PPI they admitted to me they hadn't even looked at it..

the more I try, the worse it gets... I fell like I'm standing in quicksand...
So, I guess I'll just shut up...Maybe this isn't the right board for me...
Old 12-30-2001, 02:39 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

[QUOTEPhil,
I wasn't talking about you.....
man, no matter what I say someone wants to jump down my throat.
..I was talking about a car dealership that told me they went through the car head to toe. After a PPI they admitted to me they hadn't even looked at it..
So, I guess I'll just shut up...Maybe this isn't the right board for me...
] [/QUOTE]be- relax, I was only kidding wit ya!!!, The folks here are all and I mean all, class acts. In all of this chaos, which i am probably, partially responsible for, I do apoligze.
Old 12-30-2001, 02:52 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

So, I guess I'll just shut up...Maybe this isn't the right board for me...[/QB]
B-line,

A few points: Everyone appreciates your true enthusiasm and hunger for a p-car. Your open shvitzing probably reminds most of us of our own nervousness and excitement when we were in your position. It took me over a year to find my dream 993, and I chased a lot of gooses along the way.

As a Porsche and BMW owner, I have always been impressed at the differences between the popular BMW boards (Roadfly, MuckyPaws, etc) and this Rennlist board. Whereas many of the Bimmer boards are cluttered with opinions, venting, and name-calling, this one centers around technical issues, DIY tips, racing, etc. You don't find much of the typical posts about "Which color is the best?", "How old are you?", etc, and I find that refreshing. I've learned a lot of really useful data about my car and about DE events from this board, with a minimum of clutter.

I also feel that you came on a bit strong at the beginning - a lot of opinions, without a lot of facts or meaningful contributions. Of course, there is a limit to how much hard data you can contribute before you've actually owned one of these cars for a while and performed your own maintenance, upgrades, and "experiments" (for the good of the board members, of course! ).

However, some of your posts might have been more appropriate for individual e-mails, and some of your soul-searching might be better done in private. I've always found that I need to be even more careful with e-mails than with face-to-face conversations, since there is more room for misinterpretation with the former. In some respects, the same holds true for board postings.

I welcome you to this board, and wish you the best on finding your dream car and feeling at home here. Please take my comments as constructive criticism, and not a flame. As I said at the beginning, I admire your passion and enthusiasm.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-30-2001, 02:55 AM
B-Line home
Racer

I appreciate the apology phil..

Guess I'm just a little edgy with everyone being upset with me about my value post.

My intentions were not selfish. Or greedy, or to incite some sort of selling war.
They were just an observation based on my findings.

But having said that..I'm still not in a Pcar so what do I know

I did learn one thing from that topic though..some things are left better unsaid..

Happy New Year
Old 12-30-2001, 02:56 AM
Kit_Chris
Racer

B_Line,

Your tone surprises me much! Apologies? The debate you started had to be made and I can only thank you for bringing up the topic, your input was honest and insightful. You contributed valuable points in a perfectly respectful way! I guess some of your readers weren't happy with your comments, but look what's come out of this debate! My point is, disagreement is the perfect context to get people talking, thinking, and learning.

As for your user rating, does it matter that much? Someone probably perceived a personal insult when you mentioned that 993s lost value over the past few months (so did everything else, for that matter).. if I were a happy 993 owner, I wouldn't care one bit what others think my baby is worth. You made your points, fairly, and you were right doing so.

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-30-2001, 03:15 AM
B-Line home
Racer

Anir..
Your right.. Thanks..

off this topic, I'd like you all to know something else in case my background and knowledge can be usefull.

I am now and have for a long time been a member of Porsche Bmw Owners Club Florida.
I track often and am working on my SCCA Regional License (I just finished skippy 3 day racing school.)
I have been around Porsche's all my life but have never owned one myself.
I am also in the production business (video and film)
Most recently, I executive produced and directed a DIY car show pilot. We modified a 2001 Boxster S. We gave it a Cold Air Intake, exhaust, Chip Change, suspension. Then we took it to Moroso for some testing.
We also did a field segment on driving events. From racing to the novice driver.
We are in our final stages of post production (graphics and sound mix) and hope to have it on the air soon.
So although it may seem as though I am just some anxious buyer with no knowledge of Porsche, mods, tracking, racing,
I actually have some knowledge and info that I would love to share with fellow enthusiasts given the chance.
I have been doing driving events for years and have had the pleasure of driving many tracks in the East including, Lime Rock, Pocono North, Pocono East, Pocono Long, Sebring, Homestead, Moroso, and Daytona.

I know that I will have even more to contribute once behind the wheel of a 993 I can call my own. But, I have driven tons of Porsches but until recently were not affordable to me.
I do respect your opinion about me not owning a Pcar and I will post accordingly..
Thanks.
Old 12-30-2001, 03:24 AM
B-Line home
Racer

and thanks Kit...

I'm glad to know that my post was not misunderstood by everyone.
I am not neccessarily apoligizing for the information that was accurate and well researched, rather I apoligize for offending people. Some things are better left unsaid. I am new, I don't have a Pcar, and I wouldn't want to be not respected by this great group of owners I wish to be a part of..
Happy New Year..
Old 12-30-2001, 03:45 AM
Kit_Chris
Racer

B-L, you scare me!!

I'm new, and I do not own a 993, just like you, just like the majority of rennlist readers. However we are both using this board to collect valuable info. Here's my question to you: Wouldn't you be concerned about the quality of information you're getting on this board if you knew that some individuals were scared of voicing their contradicting opinions in order to be 'respected'? I might be repeating myself here, but without your thought-provoking posts (how ever 'inappropriate' they might have been perceived by some), none of this great insight about dealers would have been said.

We couldn't be more off topic, but considering the interest you generated, it is worth saying that 'respect' (which seems so important to you) can not be earned by sticking to the established majority of opinions. As far as I'm concerned, I respect your attitude and honesty and I'm convinced you will fit well within this board.

Keep challenging the minds, not the people. And if you don't get their respect in the process, you'll get mine, whatever that's worth!
Old 12-30-2001, 03:58 AM
B-Line home
Racer

Kit man....thanks for the support...
But you and I might have to start our own newsgroup
we can call it.. Wishwehadporschesbutdon't.com
I checked and the domain is free. think we can get sponsors?
I'm not saying to conform to the majority, I'm just saying don't poop where you eat.
Until we have Pcars, we are guests at someone else's table and we shouldn't poop where they eat either. And pardon the cliche's but it's not nice to pee in someone else's pool.
Once we have cars, we can say what we want. Until then, lets respect our hosts.
Old 12-30-2001, 04:19 AM
Kit_Chris
Racer

A final word before I get banned. This message was meant to be sent privately via email but address was unavailable.

Hey! You didn't poop or pee in anyone's pool as far as my understanding goes.. on the contrary, you provided these guys with a unique opportunity to share experience on dealers!! Besides, the topic was highly pertinent.

As long as your points are valid and well thought out, you should feel perfectly justified in considering yourself as much of a 'host' as any other poster, whether you own a 993 or not. Fair enough?

Finally, I'm in for the website! Considering the vocation of our endeavour, perhaps Lada would volunteer to fund our valiant efforts?

Quick Reply: Think I found my C2S !!!