993 Forum 1995-1998

Another pair of Fister III's installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts
Thumbs up Another pair of Fister III's installed

I drove to EPE in Natick, MA this morning to install the Fister III's that arrived XMas eve. I considered doing the install myself, but the guys at EPE really know their stuff. It's also a blast driving there through some twisty country back roads.

I ordered the cermachromes, but as fate would have it the wires got crossed and they coated them in velvet black. Darin was of course ready to make things right, but my C4 is black and the black velvet really looks great under there!

I took a few pictures of the installation which took about an hour. Hope it will help some future DIY's. I've heard some say that it's easier to remove the mufflers with the wheels off, but with a little finesse you can avoid this extra step as pictured below.

The Fister III's sound GREAT! The PO has installed RSR's years ago which were an improvement over the stock mufflers, but too much hammering noise and drone IMHO. They also seemed a bit restrictive on air flow. The Fisters just growl - no hammering, great air flow, and no drone!

A big thanks to the guys at EPE for allowing me to hang around the shop and snap some pictures. They're great guys, and always have always have some great cars in the shop! Also a big thanks to Darin and all the guys at FD Motorsports. Great product, and great guys to work with.

Making ready to pull the wide ovals and cans

Wide oval hardware

Removing wide oval

Wide ovals off!

Shot of the nut/bolt securing the cans

Removing the nut/bolt securing the can

Here's a great sequence on how to remove the cans without removing the wheels

Pull down first from the front end of the can...

And then pull down from the rear end

The just slide it out carefully pulling straight down

Installation is reverse of removal

Put the tips back on and you're done!
Old 01-07-2015, 11:04 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Hi Jim,

How did you mange to keep the salt off? I took the truck down to the south shore this morning and got coated.

You will like the Fister's!

Still no shots of the wheels . . . .

Happy New Year!

Old 01-07-2015, 11:05 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

The velvet black does look great under there. I've done the swap with wheels off and another time rear end on a set of ramps. Both methods are easy for removal and reinstall. Cool pics.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:05 PM
dombeau
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Winter tires on a 993? Really? How do you like the new sound? Thank you for sharing the pictures, looks not that hard to install.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:12 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Jim-- Congrats; great way to start the New Year!
Originally Posted by Foxman

Fister IIIs arrived XMas eve.
Now I know what Santa & his sleigh look like
Originally Posted by FisterD
...or sound like...
Old 01-08-2015, 10:00 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Hi Jim,

How did you mange to keep the salt off? I took the truck down to the south shore this morning and got coated.

You will like the Fister's!

Still no shots of the wheels . . . .

Happy New Year!

Couldn't avoid the salt yesterday, but this is the winter C4 after all. I'm going to invest in Griot's cleaning products!

Can't thank you enough for those awesome wheels Al. Update on the C4 coming soon, but here's a shot with the new wheels. I saved the hand painted caps for the summer - they're just too nice! Thanks again, and thanks for the tour of the barn. That green leather interior on the 993 is incredible.

New wheels on the C4 - thanks Cemoto!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dombeau
Winter tires on a 993? Really? How do you like the new sound? Thank you for sharing the pictures, looks not that hard to install.
These 993's track pretty well in the snow - but have a deep respect for the throttle! I took her out on in the snow on a skid pad and hit the gas, and it was the quickest 180 I ever experienced. It's kind of fun when you get the hang of it.

The Fisters sound great! (I already have a pair on my C2S garage queen). It's a vast improvement over the drumming droning RSR's. Better than listening to the stereo! The install is a snap with a lift, but be sure to have some replacement hardware on hand (particularly the copper nuts).

Fun in the snow
Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

The car looks great and the wheels looks awesome Jim! Enjoy!

A few years back I passively toyed with the idea of getting a beater 993 for ice racing. (Curve lover just bumped the thread with a great video). That was back in the day when you could pick up a high miler that needed work for $12k. I didn't pursue an all out search (I should have as today, totaled cars sell for $22k). The thought was to have a summer track/DE car that I could slap some studdies on, bring her up over to Lake George and let it all hang out. I still like the idea . . . . .

Glad you enjoy the wheels.

Regards,

Al
Old 01-08-2015, 11:04 AM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great little write up, thanks for posting.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:58 PM
KruMsz
Track Day

nice pics and thorough walk through. Whats next on the mod list? you should do more write-ups.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:04 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover

Now I know what Santa & his sleigh look like

...or sound like...
Here you go......
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2015, 03:06 PM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

thanks for sharing - awesome detail with the pics.

i have stage II from darin on my c4s with no regrets. although quite a difference from stock, the stage II sound is amazing under acceleration...and very addictive. i can only imagine stage III being that much more addictive.

enjoy!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:53 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 379 Likes on 237 Posts

I need a third car - so I went and bought a four wheel drive station wagon.

It wasn't until this thread that I realized my mistake...

I should have bought another 993!!!

(You are doing it right).

/
Old 01-08-2015, 10:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I got my Fister II's a couple of days before Christmas.

Just for FYI on future reads of this thread, this is a VERY simple project, and certainly one anyone can do. It literally took me less than 30 minutes total to install in my garage, and never contemplated removal of wheels. Two donuts and one strap on each side. Pick your weapon of choice: open end or socket.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:15 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Thanks Curvelover - and thanks for all the color and old threads. You really help make this the great forum it is!

Here you go......
That Santa outfit suits you perfectly Darin! Thanks Santa, it really made my Holiday!

nice pics and thorough walk through. Whats next on the mod list? you should do more write-ups.
Thanks KruMsz. Working on some new Turbo "S" Scoops and hope to post some pics soon...

I need a third car - so I went and bought a four wheel drive station wagon.

It wasn't until this thread that I realized my mistake...

I should have bought another 993!!!
LOL Fat Mike! I just couldn't bear the thought of going four months a year with my life on hold. And now those day trips up to ski country are a whole lot more fun!!

OK - I finally got around to getting a YouTube Account today, and I fumbled through iMovies to pull this together. I taped this last Fall comparing the C2S stock mufflers to the new Fister Stage III's. Not as good as the video Gamma recently posted, but I think the sound track here really depicts the drastic improvement. I will try to post a comparison of the RSR's to the Fister III's soon. Thanks again Darin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxvA...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Foxman; 01-09-2015 at 10:17 PM. Reason: linking picture with youtube link

Quick Reply: Another pair of Fister III's installed