Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I will be in Dallas on Friday......

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:19 AM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I will be in Dallas on Friday......

So I guess that's why mother nature decided to put snow in the forecast.... I didn't even know it could snow in Texas. Anyway, my dad and I are flying in and we will be at Dallas Motorsports Friday morning picking up my 993! <---(now I know how Rudy feels)

After that we are going to meet up with the Jason (Nightflyer) mid-afternoon so he can go over some of the details of owning and maintaining this beauty and probably end up hitting the road sometime around 4 or 5PM. If anyone is interested in meeting up just let me know. I'd love to hear some Fister Stage II and IIIs in person
Old 01-07-2015, 02:31 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 186 Posts

Congratulations on your new purchase - you won't be disappointed. Come back on Jan 31 for our 993 Gathering. There will be lots of Fisters there!
Old 01-07-2015, 08:00 AM
SC2993
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

You are getting a great car that was well taken care of by Jason. Sounds like a epic road trip with your Dad, will look forward to photos of your drive home!
Old 01-07-2015, 11:01 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I saw your car a few weeks ago at Dallas Motorsports that's an awesome color! You will be pleased to see they pushed the wintery mix out to Sunday now. Are you guys in a rush to get home? Are you going to go I20 or I30/I40? I did the later and it allowed for some off interstate excursions but depending on weather I might go 20 if I was you. Don't forget to pickup a spare DME relay, and +1 on posting pics!
Old 01-07-2015, 12:04 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sorry I don't think I can make it. We are taking my wife's car in for service that morning.

Where are you meeting Jason in the afternoon? I might be able to drop by then if they are done with my wife's car and there is no wintry mix on the roads. I do have Fister IIIs installed.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Congratulations on your new purchase - you won't be disappointed. Come back on Jan 31 for our 993 Gathering. There will be lots of Fisters there!
Thanks! Sounds like alot of fun. Not sure I could handle three 1200 mile trips in 1 month though

Originally Posted by SC2993
You are getting a great car that was well taken care of by Jason. Sounds like a epic road trip with your Dad, will look forward to photos of your drive home!

Originally Posted by JB 911
I saw your car a few weeks ago at Dallas Motorsports that's an awesome color! You will be pleased to see they pushed the wintery mix out to Sunday now. Are you guys in a rush to get home? Are you going to go I20 or I30/I40? I did the later and it allowed for some off interstate excursions but depending on weather I might go 20 if I was you. Don't forget to pickup a spare DME relay, and +1 on posting pics!
We are going to be heading up I30 to I40. Any recommendations on good roads? We are gonna try and stop at a few famous places to eat and at the Mississippi River/Beale St. in Memphis.

Jason has been great and hooked me up with 2 spare DME relays and some extra oil for free!

Originally Posted by 97_993C2
I'm sorry I don't think I can make it. We are taking my wife's car in for service that morning.

Where are you meeting Jason in the afternoon? I might be able to drop by then if they are done with my wife's car and there is no wintry mix on the roads. I do have Fister IIIs installed.
We will probably be around for most of the afternoon. Might get some lunch with Jason and the DMS crew as well. I'll PM you my number. I'd love to hear those babies sing in person
Old 01-07-2015, 08:32 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats on buying an excellent car, from an excellent previous owner ... and an excellent dealer!

I am glad that it worked out so well for everyone. Enjoy your drive home.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Congratulations !! You got your self a nice 993
Old 01-08-2015, 12:08 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlbarnett
We are going to be heading up I30 to I40. Any recommendations on good roads? We are gonna try and stop at a few famous places to eat and at the Mississippi River/Beale St. in Memphis.
Sure! If you want to leave town a different way to could go up 75 and do the Talimena Scenic Dr that crosses from OK into Arkansas. That puts you in Mena, AR. From there if you are still adventurous you could take more backroads staying North of Lake Ouachita and keep going East until you hit 30 maybe around Benton or Littlerock itself. Or if not you could just use GPS to fastest way back to 30 which would probably be thru Hot Springs. The Scenic Highway is a really fun drive I have to give Brian ^^ credit for sharing that one.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Plan...34.5862171!3e0

When you cross the Smoky Mountains, you have lots of choices. That's more in your back yard so you may already be familiar, but if I was doing it again I'd take an even longer excursion off of 40 than I did the first time. Maybe something like this. I havn't done all of this, but 28 in the middle of it was real a fun road. Note this map (if the link works correctly) keeps you off the Tail of the Dragon which was fun but blind corners have not been good to rennlisters this January
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Loud...35.5334379!3e0

Last edited by JB 911; 01-09-2015 at 01:00 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old 01-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Do what JB 911 says!! Amazing roads! (Just be careful with the weather this weekend.)
Old 01-08-2015, 11:38 PM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Originally Posted by JB 911
Sure! If you want to leave town a different way to could go up 75 and do the Talimena Scenic Dr that crosses from OK into Arkansas. That puts you in Mena, AR. From there if you are still adventurous you could take more backroads staying North of Lake Ouachita and keep going East until you hit 30 maybe around Benton or Littlerock itself. Or if not you could just use GPS to fastest way back to 30 which would probably be thru Hot Springs. The Scenic Highway is a really fun drive I have to give Brian ^^ credit for sharing that one.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Plan...34.5862171!3e0

When you cross the Smoky Mountains, you have lots of choices. That's more in your back yard so you may already be familiar, but if I was doing it again I'd take an even longer excursion off of 40 than I did the first time. Maybe something like this. I havn't done all of this, but 28 in the middle of it was real a fun road. Note this map (if the link works correctly) keeps you off the Tail of the Dragon which was fun but blind corners have not been good to rennlisters this January
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Loud...35.5334379!3e0
That drive through OK looks insanely fun, looks like the weather will be pretty clear in OK and AR through Saturday. Anyone driven through there during the winter? Just wanna make sure they don't close any of the roads or parks in the winter

As far as in NC, I know some of those roads well and will most certainly be hitting them up in the spring time
Old 01-09-2015, 12:23 AM
13BEEZ
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad the deal worked out. Definitely take the scenic route if you have the time. I have been up there a couple of times, just not in the Porsche, and it is beautiful. Wish I could meet up with you guys tomorrow afternoon, but I will be stuck at work late tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:17 AM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats JL! I know you have been looking for a 964 or 993 for quite a while.

Enjoy the drive home!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:43 AM
Texas993
Race Car

JL, don't worry about road closures up there. Unless there is immediate weather, they will be perfect and wide open. Slow down in the towns and let 'er rip in the remote spaces.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:49 AM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Just settled into our hotel for the night. The Talahina scenic route was absolutely amazing! The road was practically deserted! From the turn off onto 43 to the AR state line we saw maybe 10 cars. Thanks for the heads up!

Quick Reply: I will be in Dallas on Friday......