Sponsored by:

OT- Need a Daily Driver - Opinions solicited

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 02:11 PM
pegdrag
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rudy and Fox,

Rudy, I had such a bad time with the 5 series years ago, that I struggle with giving BMW my money. I'm not in love with the M4, either and find the M3 more appealing.

I grew up on manuals, but will probably go for an automatic for the DD. The BMW would be a ton of fun and I would do a manual if i went that way. A good friend has had several M3's over the past 10 years and loves them. He's pushing the M3 for me.

Foxman, I appreciate the seat comments. We are an odd bunch here on Rennlist, but seating is something a lot of us really appreciate. I like seats with a lot of support and that are long enough. I like the deviated stitching. Like many of us here, I maintain my cars.

The 07 DD is so appealing and that is a great price. I don't think I'll buy it, however.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:12 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

We just purchased a G37 for my wife. Very nice car that you can get with AWD if you want, and either a coupe or sedan.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:31 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by pegdrag
Rudy and Fox,

Rudy, I had such a bad time with the 5 series years ago, that I struggle with giving BMW my money. I'm not in love with the M4, either and find the M3 more appealing.

I grew up on manuals, but will probably go for an automatic for the DD. The BMW would be a ton of fun and I would do a manual if i went that way. A good friend has had several M3's over the past 10 years and loves them. He's pushing the M3 for me.

Foxman, I appreciate the seat comments. We are an odd bunch here on Rennlist, but seating is something a lot of us really appreciate. I like seats with a lot of support and that are long enough. I like the deviated stitching. Like many of us here, I maintain my cars.

The 07 DD is so appealing and that is a great price. I don't think I'll buy it, however.
IMO BMW makes the best Daily Driver Cars... I've had my 550i longer than any car, ever. I will be replacing it this year with the new M3. It looks absolutely gorgeous IMO and drives the same. The cabin is almost as big as my E60 550 so and I'm past the car seat stage so makes it doable w/ the kids too.

With most things it'll come down to personal choice I don't think there are any wrong answers w/ your candidates...
Old 01-02-2015, 11:23 AM
JimPA
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

We bought, for my wife, a '99 A6 Avant and replaced it with a new '09 A4 Avant in 2008. The A6 was mostly trouble free until ~100k miles when various small but costly items started to fail.

My wife loves the A4 for its size, performance, comfort and reliability. Mileage is now 92k and it has been maintained by the book or better either at the dealer or, more recently, an indie. It is our "family" car, used for local and lots of distance driving as well as hauling everything we can stuff into it. Our next newest car is my '98 C2S.

In early 2014 oil consumption (burning, not dripping) spiked for no apparent reason and got steadily worse. Internet chatter shows this can be an issue with the 2.0 L turbo engine although not all are affected. I'm not sure what engine the RS5 has but, reportedly, Audi fixed the oil consumption issue by about MY 2012 and later. The dealer did the two-part oil consumption test and, last month, replaced pistons and rings. Everything was handled with an extremely professional approach and done at zero cost to us, despite the age, mileage and out-of-warranty status. This is the only car I have purchased from this dealership.

We have driven the A4 2000 miles in the month since the engine repair. The electronic oil level indicator (there's no dipstick) hasn't budged from full.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:41 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was having a great time in my VW GTI w/ DSG paddle shift...or you might try the Golf R w/ 250 hp and all wheel drive.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:58 PM
droy3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V60 or S60 Polestar (Volvo and if you can find one) would be nice.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:48 PM
pegdrag
Racer

Impressions so far:

I can't fit in the C63. My head hits the roof, even with the seat fully depressed, I bang my head on the roof of the car. I'm amazed, I'm a bit over 6'2" albeit with a long torso. The one I tried had the panorama roof, so I tried the standard C series with the regular roof...same issue. I'm not freakishly long of torso...

I tried an BMW M4 and had the same issue. The salesman for the BMW said "of course you can get the seat adjusted so you don't hit the roof", but he and I couldn't make it work. I've driven M3's before with no problems, so this is strange.

What the devil? Is everyone buying these cars short of torso?

I fit in the Audi RS 5 with no problem. Felt very generic but tons of horsepower.

Tried and loved both a Cayman S and a GTS, I'd driven them before but the 2015 is great fun, no problem at all with headroom in that car.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:21 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

I tried an BMW M4 and had the same issue. The salesman for the BMW said "of course you can get the seat adjusted so you don't hit the roof", but he and I couldn't make it work. I've driven M3's before with no problems, so this is strange.

What the devil? Is everyone buying these cars short of torso?
Weird about the M4. I'm 6'3" and have no problem with my 435. I can't imagine the seats are that much different in the M4 with respect to overall proportions. FWIW, I kind of love the ergonomics after 9 months of owning it.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:19 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

Impressions so far: I can't fit in the C63. My head hits the roof, even with the seat fully depressed, I bang my head on the roof of the car. I'm amazed, I'm a bit over 6'2" albeit with a long torso. The one I tried had the panorama roof, so I tried the standard C series with the regular roof...same issue.
I drove the new C300 4Matic loaner yesterday with AMG sport package. It's a nice car and moves well but ran into the same issue with interior space height. I am only 5' 8". Pro is that it feels intimate like being in a 993 cockpit.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:21 PM
pegdrag
Racer

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
Weird about the M4. I'm 6'3" and have no problem with my 435. I can't imagine the seats are that much different in the M4 with respect to overall proportions. FWIW, I kind of love the ergonomics after 9 months of owning it.
Not at all what I expected. I liked the control layout, but I don't want to drive in a reclined position nor hit my head on the ceiling of the car. I'm going to have another look at it in the next few weeks.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:14 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 591 Posts

Been driving Audis almost as long as Porsches and never had a major issue... various A4's, S4's, A8 sport (best cruiser I ever had), currently a Q5 TDI.
Also several GTI's and a R... for a decent DD and not a ton of money, hard to beat a new 4 door GTI.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:35 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Not at all what I expected. I liked the control layout, but I don't want to drive in a reclined position nor hit my head on the ceiling of the car. I'm going to have another look at it in the next few weeks.
Right, either is a disqualifier for me too. I sit moderately close to the wheel (thanks Vic Elford) maybe that explains it.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:59 PM
tian647
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
Take your wife into her closet and tell her to segregate her everyday (daily) shoes and handbags from her dress/evening(weekend) shoes and handbags.

The the clothes.

Then the jewelry.

She'll get the concept then.

Maybe put an extra fridge in the garage or basement stocked with beer while you're at it.
Like.

I daily an E90 335i sedan - 4 doors are terribly useful when suddenly you're elected to take clients/cow-orkers to lunch or make the school run. It replaced an E30 sedan which was perfect but after 450k miles getting a bit er, dated.

Christian
'95 Carrera
Old 01-15-2015, 01:41 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I drove the new C300 4Matic loaner yesterday with AMG sport package. It's a nice car and moves well but ran into the same issue with interior space height. I am only 5' 8". Pro is that it feels intimate like being in a 993 cockpit.
I drove one of these 2015's for 3 weeks when my Mercedes was in for repair. White C300 4 Matic with black interior, AMG wheels, AMG mats, pano roof, etc. Had everything. MSRP was like $52k or something like that. I LOVED this car, maybe even more than my 2008 MB S63. My friends were crazy about it and I had 3 guys in the back once for a 40 minute drive downtown. They said it was fine back there.

I still dream about that cool radio/nav with the swipe feature to change channels. It's a shame it was too small for some of you. I'd be happy to own one if my current car ever died. Maybe.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:09 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I drove one of these 2015's for 3 weeks when my Mercedes was in for repair. White C300 4 Matic with black interior, AMG wheels, AMG mats, pano roof, etc. Had everything. MSRP was like $52k or something like that. I LOVED this car, maybe even more than my 2008 MB S63. My friends were crazy about it and I had 3 guys in the back once for a 40 minute drive downtown. They said it was fine back there. I still dream about that cool radio/nav with the swipe feature to change channels. It's a shame it was too small for some of you. I'd be happy to own one if my current car ever died. Maybe.
Sounds like your current car is dying.

Quick Reply: OT- Need a Daily Driver - Opinions solicited