Sponsored by:

OT: Birthday Weekend Fun

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:52 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts
Default OT: Birthday Weekend Fun

Another beautiful December weekend in CT. Had lots of things planned for the weekend after a nice birthday brunch at home with my family on Saturday but my 16 year old son had other plans.

While waiting patiently for 993 #8 to fill a space in the garage, a fellow rennlister passed on his '83 SC to me earlier this year. You know, one of those deals where you don't even need to go see the car because everyone involved from the seller to his mechanic have stellar reputations.

We picked this car up as a project, work and training car while my son navigates driving school towards his drivers license. Have been using it as a daily driver so to come up with a list of things to work on. Problem is, after about 500 miles we're really having to work at finding anything to wrench on it, even the oil was clean.

It could use some paint correction and a few other minor cosmetic things, but the patina is quite nice. We were thinking of a claybar, wax and polish treatment this weekend but that sun was out, the roads dried up and well...it looked like some of those up and down and twisty country roads around our house that have just been repaved and widened were going to be tested again.

Didn't get anything done around the house, garage or even get around to getting up those holiday decorations outside. Rationale by my son "Our grandparents don't arrive until Thursday so why do it today? After all it's your Birthday!" He's a very intelligent kid.

So another blissful 200 miles on the old SC. Sunday was another spectacular day so we tried it on some NW CT country roads. It runs good on those too. I'll not soon forget this birthday weekend.

Of course as I write, a Nor 'Easter is bearing down on Connecticut tonight and those holiday decorations are still snug in their storage crates .
Attached Images   
Old 12-16-2014, 06:33 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Happy Birthday!

Mike's car? You picked up a gem!
Old 12-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Yes, the car came from Rennlister K964 who represented the car honestly and accurately. Props to Dan and Baron at Hairy Dog Garage for their diligence, time and helping facilitate a no hassle sale.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:55 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Very nice Bart! Classic color combo too..
Old 12-16-2014, 09:25 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

Happy Belated Birthday Bart!

Roads have been crap here in Central New York since early November, glad someone on the East Coast is still having some fun.

Arctic Silver/Red this time huh? Looking forward to the pics, God's speed.

Don't forget about Ginger...maybe ask Nick to pass on your contact info to the gentleman who bought her from him a few years ago. Ya never know
Old 12-16-2014, 09:56 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Happy Birthday Bart!!! Glad it went to a great home!!! Here's to you and your son enjoying the SC for years and years to come. Perhaps we can meet up some time and go for a scoot? Perhaps one of Ilko's legendary mountain road drives?

Mike

Old 12-16-2014, 10:22 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Did you guys see the rain today? Washed off all the salt off the roads! Will wait to dry up tomorrow and then I'm off for a drive on Thursday! Might actually head up to CT to visit a client close to New Haven.

Anyone want to meet up?

Old 12-16-2014, 10:47 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Did you guys see the rain today? Washed off all the salt off the roads! Will wait to dry up tomorrow and then I'm off for a drive on Thursday! Might actually head up to CT to visit a client close to New Haven.

Anyone want to meet up?

12" of snow on the ground at my house. I'm out. Sigh........
Old 12-17-2014, 03:34 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
Happy Belated Birthday Bart!

Arctic Silver/Red this time huh? Looking forward to the pics, God's speed.

Don't forget about Ginger...maybe ask Nick to pass on your contact info to the gentleman who bought her from him a few years ago. Ya never know
Forget about her? I wake up thinking of her at night sometimes. She went to a deserving buyer. But I've been hounding Nick. Maybe it's time to bribe him with a nice set of special order WB hollow wheels.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:47 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K964
Happy Birthday Bart!!! Glad it went to a great home!!! Here's to you and your son enjoying the SC for years and years to come. Perhaps we can meet up some time and go for a scoot? Perhaps one of Ilko's legendary mountain road drives?

Mike

Originally Posted by ilko

Anyone want to meet up?

I think I know your client well Ilko. Can't make Thursday. Just rain here and supposed to be clear and dry by Friday. When either of you are ready, have a look at the New Britain and Southington Reservior and Crescent Lake areas on Google Maps. They just finished widening and repaving the entire loop around the NB Reservoir and the hilly twisty road from New Britain, through Plainville (Ledge Road) into Andrews in Southington to the end at Kensington Road. When you go, I'm just 1/2 way down the Mountain from Rogers Orchards.

Quick Reply: OT: Birthday Weekend Fun