ATTN SF Bay Area RLers: January Meetup TBD

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 10:34 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes
Prefer 1/1 to avoid traffic, but either day works.
Half Moon Bay

Suggested route: meet in So SJ at the Starbucks on Bernal (near intersection of 85 and 101), 101 to 25 (Hollister), south on 25 to G13 (a couple of very high speed stretches along with lots of curvies), G13 over to King City, continue east through Hunter Liggett to Hwy 1, north on 1 back to the Bay Area. Depending on headcount, lunch at Lucia and/or Nepenthe. This is an all-dayer, start at 9, home at 4. (Jim Morton of this board introduced me to this drive, which I do at least once a year.)

If we do the drive to Canepa, a very good meeting place is the Vista Point at the intersection of 92 and Skyline, upper 35. No restrooms or coffee there, but a relatively large parking lot.

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 12-15-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love 25 south of Hollister. It is just a lot further south. If touring Canepa doesn't work out this is a solid backup plan.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:21 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also, just stay on 25 to Coalinga. Return to Bay Area by reversing route for more giggles, or take I5 back.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:48 PM
YaHoo!
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes
Jan 3
Davis

Sounds fun and I second the idea of breaking into smaller groups!
Old 12-16-2014, 12:58 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

So it sounds like touring Canepa isn't going to work out. They'll still be shutdown for the holiday break then. I guess this means more driving time for us all. Route 25 is a pretty spectacular road where one can drive very fast.

Since this thread is getting rather long, I'm going to try and organize everyone's responses into a spreadsheet and see if I can get folks from similar regions of the Bay Area to coordinate meeting up prior to converging with the greater group. This is quickly becoming a very large group all through one thread. I guess that's the power of the internet for you.

Let's hope all this gloomy wet weather is put on hold that weekend so we can go enjoy ourselves.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:18 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 363 Posts

Looks like I'm going to have to drop out, not going to have time for a full day drive that Saturday. Hopefully everyone takes lots of pictures.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:05 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

As I recall, when Jim organized this drive, we had 20-30 cars, meeting at the Starbucks. Golden Gate Region PCA did it last year or the year before with a similar count, meeting at a Safeway in Hollister.

Recommend it be broken into 3 groups no matter the size, fast, faster, fastest since no one in a Porsche goes slow. starting the reverse of that. I also suggest the drive go all the way into Coalinga with coordination with the restaurant to be ready for a large group. They had a separate back room for us. If you want, I can coordinate this once we get a headcount.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:50 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did this last, we took Hwy 25 and then drove through Ft. Hunter-Liggett to Hwy 1 and had lunch at Nepenthe on Big Sur coast before heading home. Pretty spectacular
Old 12-16-2014, 01:55 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Hal

That's the route I used many years until I went with GGR through to Coalinga. Much prefer the Coalinga route now. Especially, with a larger group. Nepenthe (and Lucia) are not as good at accommodating a large group.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:16 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

I've done 25 from Hollister down to the James Dean memorial and then over to Cambria. It was great drive, but it was an overnight trip. I don't think I want coordinate an overnight trip here. Plus I doubt there will be as many interested people.

Coalinga isn't quite as far south, but it is getting pretty close. What was the return route from Coalinga? Up I-5? I'll be coming from the North Bay and a couple of folks are expressing interest coming from Sac and Davis, so some people will have a fair amount of driving time just getting to the event. I don't want driver's fatigue to kick in here.

Regarding the other proposed loop from Hollister to Hunter Liggett to Big Sur, how are the roads between King City and Big Sur? I remember route 25 past 198 became significantly rougher and I don't want to end up leading 30 Porsches onto gravel/dirt roads accidentally. (It happened on the drive down to the memorial.)

P.S. Pirahna sorry to hear your dropping out. You could meet us all at the starting point in San Jose or Hollister at least.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:21 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

The road out of H-L is not good, not bad, but not good, slow going. That's why I prefer the road through to Coalinga.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Yeah, I've bombed down 198 in my Boxster previously. It is quite a road. That said, my S.O. (who is coming) might get pissed if we get that close to Big Sur and not visit it. :|

Decisions, decisions.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:38 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

We can always split the group further, to Coalinga and to Nepenthe.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Alright, I've gotten a lot of great suggestions and a ton of expressed interest. Now it is time to start sorting through it all an planning the route(s). I can already tell that Saturday, 1/3/15 is the better date for the group as a whole so I'm planning the event on that date.

Even if you've responded to this thread already, would you please fill out this GOOGLE FORM so that I can get a better sense of the overall group's preferences.

I will be updating the first post in this thread as well to reflect the fact that we've settled on Saturday, 1/3/15 for the event date and need people to complete the GOOGLE FORM.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Thank you to those who have responded to the form. I have 5 responses to I know I still need to hear from many more of you! Please complete the quick survey linked above and in the first post on this thread.

Folks so far seem divided between wanting to do a short drive and a long drive so we will likely have one common meet-up in the morning where everyone can checkout cars and chat. Then the gathering will split into two groups - one group heading into the Santa Cruz mountains for a shorter driving on twisties and a second group heading south of Hollister for a lengthier drive with a luncheon along the way. Exact details are still TBD.

Quick Reply: ATTN SF Bay Area RLers: January Meetup TBD