Sponsored by: DashLynx

Time to Sell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 10:35 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
Good Grief...what's the big deal...just give the OP your best $$ guess at a number based on what he presented......
Because the vast majority, this one included, of these; "what's my car worth", post (especially on the air-cooled forums) are simply veiled attempts to auction off your car to the highest bidder in your PM box.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Because the vast majority, this one included, of these; "what's my car worth", post (especially on the air-cooled forums) are simply veiled attempts to auction off your car to the highest bidder in your PM box.
so what...I couldn't care less if he takes bids on his car via PMs. He asked for opinions on the value, we all have knowledge of the market and have an opinion, so this is a pretty good place to ask.

I'd like to see an explanation as to why this "veiled attempts to auction off your car to the highest bidder in your PM box" is a problem. Apparently, a lot of people agree that it is, but I just don't see it...please help me understand.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:23 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
so what...I couldn't care less if he takes bids on his car via PMs. He asked for opinions on the value, we all have knowledge of the market and have an opinion, so this is a pretty good place to ask.

I'd like to see an explanation as to why this "veiled attempts to auction off your car to the highest bidder in your PM box" is a problem. Apparently, a lot of people agree that it is, but I just don't see it...please help me understand.
Allen, it doesn't really matter what you or I think. That's the Rennlist rules. This isn't an auction site. I don't make the rules. I only try hard to follow them. If someone/anyone doesn't like the rules, either work/fight to change it, or find another place that is better suited for them. Rennlist isn't a democracy, it's a privilege.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:43 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Let the moderators police the site and make the call regarding this post. Easy enough not to read something I am not interested in.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
u7t2p7, you're a car flipper, no? Seems you'd have a vested interest in low-balling cars then, no?
Yep Goofy, aka silver98c2s on Pelican is still hanging around here looking for flips.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Let the moderators police the site and make the call regarding this post.
My thoughts exactly...
Old 11-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
You have to love these threads!!
Or not...
Old 11-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Or not...
My thoughts exactly...
Old 11-23-2014, 05:57 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Market data ... http://www.fuelist.com/chart?query=1...art=&year_end=

Old 11-23-2014, 06:42 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Why not look at the sticky thread at the beginning of this forum that should be actual purchase transactions. Of course, the information is only as good as those who want to share their purchase transaction. It takes the bull**** out of the pricing discussion.

$37,000
Old 11-24-2014, 06:07 PM
si2t3m
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP: Simple advice. I'd stop wasting time here and i'd put it up on ebay. Seach the ended auctions and this should give you a good idea of what it should go for.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:22 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

It's worth $36,789.50 but can you post exterior and interior pics? Whatever happened to the old "this thread is worthless without pics?"

As far as I'm concerned, any thread on Rennlist is worthless without pics since I love seeing 993 pics in general.

Good luck with the sale. You're doing the right thing by selling it since someone that's really wanted one can now get a 993 - yours. It's interesting to see that gent with the Pastel Yellow 993 beauty that is trying to sell his for a while now yet no one is buying it at as he continually drops his price. His is stunning in the pics. Maybe everyone that has wanted one finally has one now and yours is actually worth only $29k.

Better sell soon! The bottom is falling out of this market before our eyes.

Tongue in cheek, of course.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:50 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
with all due respect...I've been on this site 2 1/2 years longer than you, seen literally dozen's of similar threads/comments regarding top end. I simply call bull**** here. Simply put..not every 993 needs a top end at 100K + miles. I bought my dirty carfax, paint work 4S with 63K miles on it, she rolled 101K this year. It uses less than a 1/2 qt of oil every 1K miles, even less when I hammer on it, and has run like a top the 4+ years I have owned it.

While I understand your oil consumption/valve guide wear may vary...sorry bought your luck, but all of don't suffer from that. As always, a PPI is strongly reccomended.

You want mileage/age proof that valve guide issues DON'T reguarly occour..first show me YOUR proof that they do.

Member since 1/2010 out
Agreed. Rich (member here) with his 300k miler never had top end done.
I'm at 80k+...about 1qrt per 1500 miles + perfect leak-down and compression results. The more you drive it the less problems you have.

I'd see top end as a negative unless done a while back by a reputable shop. And still you never know...even pro can make a mistake.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
I'd see top end as a negative unless done a while back by a reputable shop.
So true! I consider a recent rebuild as a negative valuation factor. Rebuilds, however, help value if it was done 10K+ miles ago with no issues, as it "proves" that the rebuild was good and the engine is sorted.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:49 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Woolery
So true! I consider a recent rebuild as a negative valuation factor. Rebuilds, however, help value if it was done 10K+ miles ago with no issues, as it "proves" that the rebuild was good and the engine is sorted.
You go from opinion (I consider) to fact (rebuilds help value if done 10k+ miles) in your post. I think your premise could be applied to any major service or repair item. All else being equal a high mileage 993 has more value with a top end than one that does not. I can't recall ANY threads here or anywhere that delve into a "bad" top end job or that 10,000 miles being the "magic number" to prove the effectiveness of the work.

Quick Reply: Time to Sell?