Sponsored by:

Need help sourcing a part

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:09 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts
Default Need help sourcing a part

For folks that have Motons or other aftermarket shocks, what did you do for front brake lines?

With OE shocks there is a bracket to support the joint where the flex line joins the hard line. Motons don't have this support, and I don't like having an end of the hardline unsupported.

Does anyone know of an off the shelf brakeline to go from the chassis directly to the caliper (bypassing the hardline). I know I can have custom ones made, but hoping for an off the shelf solution...

(In case I have to go the custom route) Anyone know the fitting sizes? This metric pipe/tubing thread confuses me...
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2014, 10:20 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If no one pops in later on, I'll look at the yellow car in the AM when I'm back at the shop. I honestly don't remember.

What I've done in the past with torsion bar housings that don't have them (RSR struts?), is fabricate a bracket. Of course you're not going to weld anything on...... But a fabricated bracket attached with strong hose clamp(s) has been sufficient for what I've done. I also remember one time at the track I discovered them just flopping around when he was changing tires. Used some Big *** tie downs in an X pattern to fasten them to the strut. 3-4 years later the guy still had my ER setup on the car.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:43 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
If no one pops in later on, I'll look at the yellow car in the AM when I'm back at the shop. I honestly don't remember.

What I've done in the past with torsion bar housings that don't have them (RSR struts?), is fabricate a bracket. Of course you're not going to weld anything on...... But a fabricated bracket attached with strong hose clamp(s) has been sufficient for what I've done. I also remember one time at the track I discovered them just flopping around when he was changing tires. Used some Big *** tie downs in an X pattern to fasten them to the strut. 3-4 years later the guy still had my ER setup on the car.
Thanks... Would love to hear what you find...
The other factor is: I'm switching to caliper studs, so the hardline has to go.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:45 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Is it possible to cut the bracket off your old strut and use a stainless steel hose clamp to mount it to you new strut. Or buy somthing like this;
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/3286...FcJQ7Aod_EgAzA

or this:

http://www.bbclassicsinc.com/product...amp-universal/

or this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-683942
Old 11-13-2014, 10:53 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
Is it possible to cut the bracket off your old strut and use a stainless steel hose clamp to mount it to you new strut. Or buy somthing like this;
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/3286...FcJQ7Aod_EgAzA
Amazing cross reference skills.. How in the hell did you find that first one? Looks like the perfect solution... If I don't switch to studs, Ill give it a try.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:04 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
Thanks... Would love to hear what you find...
The other factor is: I'm switching to caliper studs, so the hardline has to go.
Well, just go flex line from the chassis. Premade: http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...ex-brake-lines

OR spend time in fabricator hell making your own. (Made too many -3 lines back in the '80s. Amazed we never lost a car.)

And those other links point to stuff I sure wish was commercially available back in the Olden Days.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:55 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Mine have a fabricated part, held on with upper and lower hose clamps. I don't have memory of doing it myself, but it's very similar to what I would have done on customer cars in the '80s.

If you go that route, the clamps look easy enough to loosen. So if you go to studs on the wheel carrier, you'd just have to deal with a couple of twists to those clamps. (Other thought is that if you've got the calipers off to change rotors, you'd be bleeding brakes anyway. Several ways to make fluid leaks/bleeding hassle minimal if you end up cracking the lines open.)

Quick Reply: Need help sourcing a part