Sponsored by:

How long do those damn relays last ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 02:00 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts
Angry How long do those damn relays last ?

When I got my car, I replaced the resistor and relay for the oil cooler fan. The relay is probably 2.5 months old tops... today the temps went to 10 o'clock in traffic, which is shouldn't do... I betcha the damn relay is toast again and low speed did not come on ! Will test the resistor tonight... Argh!!!

is there an "improved" part yet that I did not get ?

incidentally, the "fix" to bypass low speed by putting a jumper on the realy is totally obscure to me... The photo (the inverted one) is pretty fuzzy and I can't tell what the jumper connects to and from..... anybody care to explain/take a picture of exactly what you connect to what to bypass the low speed altogether? Thanks !

sounds like a good DIY w/e, 993 relay, RSRs, mounts, + 356 Oil change and greasing the front axle...
Old 08-21-2003, 08:10 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg, check posting "mistake in fan speed relay" from Grahm_Mitchell, reposted today. At the bottom of the post are a couple of concise photo's.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:23 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,
It seems like the relay should last longer than 2.5 months. If the fan motor is getting worn it may be pulling too much current through the relay causing it to burn out prematurely. Just a thought. If you continue to have problems you may want to check it out.

Cheers,
Old 08-21-2003, 10:32 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

>Greg, check posting "mistake in fan speed relay" from Grahm_Mitchell, reposted today. At the bottom of the post are a couple of concise photo's.

I know, now.. Ironically, I'm the one who supplied those photos! ;-) Thanks anyway ! Will try tomorrow !

Quick Reply: How long do those damn relays last ?