Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident results. Pics and numbers for my 993 family.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:33 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a fair settlement IMO.

Cab for 40k with 60k miles should be easy to find esp as we head into the winter.
You might have to re-do the mods.
There were still WBs selling for mid 50's here and there, you just have to be patient, look hard and act quickly. Many sellers are quite well off and just want an easy sale instead of getting top dollar.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:53 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Did your settlement include sales tax? Check your state laws on total loss. Some lesser insurance companies will play this gambit.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 11-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Hoserpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did have the option to buy her back. I decided I didn't want to hassle with it. I'm not fixing a car that was bent as bad as she was. I'd rather go shopping for a nice Targa now. So far I've found a couple around $40-43k with 100,000 miles. No upgrades to them. Seems a tad high.

My settlement was high because the car was graded very well by the inspector. All the stuff we read on here that needs to be fixed was fixed. I had one drivers side door trim piece that needed to be replaced. That's it.

The initial offer was not enough to replace the car. Georgia law requires payouts to be fair market value. It was now up to me to play hardball and show them what fair market value really was.

I scanned every receipt. Copied all the maintenance records. Took pictures of upgrades and repairs. Scanned the original window sticker. Found a list of comps that truly compared to a well sorted car. I sent all this info to the insurance company. This forced them to hire a second private vehicle inspector to verify that the car had the parts on it that I claimed. He crawled around and found my Rennline pedal set. The Hargett valve covers. The Bilstein's with less than 100 miles on them. New tires. You get the point. It paid to fight back and be **** about maintenance records.

It took a year to find this car. I enjoyed the hunt but now I just want to drive!! I forgot how much of a pain it is to search autotrader and Craigslist. Ugh. I wish some computer geek could make a program to ferret out the exact car I want.

Drive safe everyone,

Jason

Just for fun. Here is the link to the junkyard that is auctioning the car off. It has the VIN. I'm curious where she will end up at in a year. Hopefully the parts find a nice home. If she's fixed I don't envy the allignment shop...

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch....SEARCH_RESULTS
Old 11-12-2014, 11:20 AM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't be afraid of high mileage. I put 245k miles on my '71 targa. My 993 has 114k and running sweet. Porsches are made to be driven.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:23 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It didnt look that bent to me. Sorry.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:17 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoserpilot

VIN. I'm curious where she will end up.
WP0CA2999TS341901
Originally Posted by jhg41977

bent.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:02 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ugh...sad to see the pics...happy, of course, that everyone's OK. Did you mention your insurance carrier's name? GLW search...
Old 11-12-2014, 05:07 PM
CAPTAIN 911
Instructor

So sorry for you men, that really suck Good luck
Old 11-12-2014, 06:47 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So sorry to see pictures like those you've posted but I hope you don't suffer any physical soft tissue issues at some later time. I'm sure yo'll find the right car to replace yours, it'll just take patience.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ehanauer
Don't be afraid of high mileage. I put 245k miles on my '71 targa. My 993 has 114k and running sweet. Porsches are made to be driven.
+993

And you feel less guilt about taking the car out and enjoying it, often.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:25 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

She doesn't look too bad. Is it still available at $14.5k?
Old 11-13-2014, 12:50 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoserpilot
I did have the option to buy her back. I decided I didn't want to hassle with it. I'm not fixing a car that was bent as bad as she was.
May I ask what was the amount required to buy it back?

I see some of the wrecks go for near what a whole running car goes for. The insurance companies want the most they can get for it, and you may see the car at a few different locations over a six month period, at least that is what I've seen.

There was a 60k mile silver/blue cab with a crushed right rear that did not meet minimum last week for $22k

Thank you.

Regards,

Old 11-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Hoserpilot
Rennlist Member

I posted the link to the junkyard auction in a post above. Looks like it's still available and the current bid is $14.5k. For me, it's not worth the hassle. I don't have room to part it out. There are a lot of good parts on her though. Correct me if I'm wrong but an engine probably would fetch around $12k.

When the other drivers insurance company came to me with an intial payout off of $40k, the buy back was just shy of $10k. They tacked on a small fee and would not pay the tax. When they came to me with the $48.7k offer I did not ask for a buyback quote. My assumption from the previous quote would put a buyback in the $16-17k range.

My reason for not buying my car back cannot be seen in the pictures. If you were to jack the car up you'd see massive wrinkles all the way to the firewall. The front of the car has actually shifted over to the right quite a bit. I was surprised, initially, that it was totaled. Only when I got under the car did I begin to understand. I think the inspector that totaled the car was an enthusiast of nice cars. He owned some muscle cars and knew my car would never be the same. I kinda think he did me a favor by totaling it.

Someone asked about insurance in a previous post. Mine is with Leland West. I didn't have to file a claim because I was not at fault. The offenders insurance was through Esurance. Other than fighting for a higher payoff the process was simple. They did try to push me right from day one though. Telling me I needed to get my car moved ect. They tried to pressure me into action because the car was racking up storage fees. I ignored the pressure tactics until I found a proper body shop. Once the car was deemed a loss they again pressured me to get my belongings out because once again they were paying fees. I gently reminded them that it was their client that caused the accident!! I would not skip work to help them out. They could wait.

Harlan, you mentioned soft tissue damage. I haven't closed the medical portion of the accident yet. Other than the typical sore neck I guess I bruised my foot. Neck is fine, whatever. I'm surprised at how long it's taking to heal my foot. I exercise a lot. Before the accident I did "The Whole Enchilada" twice in a week. Google it....Moab Utah. I'm not a wuss!! Lol. Now walking on a hard surface for any length of time causes some pain. Running and biking, the pain is ever present. I fly the Maddog (md88) and I can really feel it when I use the rudder pedals. Oh well. Suck it up cupcake! If my wife can endure labor, I can have a sore foot. I'm just happy the other drivers 3 kids are alive and well. Accidents happen.

I hope these posts help you to put some real world numbers on our cars. I hope we're not in a bubble and these gems maintain their value. They sure are fun to drive!

Quick Reply: Accident results. Pics and numbers for my 993 family.