Alpine Amp Fits Under Passenger Seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:48 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts
Default Alpine Amp Fits Under Passenger Seat

Alpine MRV-F300 300 Watt RMS 4 Channel Amplifier fits under the seat where the original premium sound system amp fit. One just has to move an existing under seat electronics box that is closer to the door over a short distance and drill new mounting holes for its sheet metal screws. Now the next challenge will be adding the 4 gauge power wire with in-line fuse that will need to go directly to the battery to power the thing. According to the Alpine install instructions as much as one meter of its length can be 8 gauge. There is a grounding lug under the seat so the ground wire is a short 8 gauge wire. I found out that the low profile head cap screws that hold the seat down can be replaced with regular height screws and it seems to not interfere with the seats adjustment function.

I'll keep you posted when the power wire install is complete.

Andy :-)
Old 11-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to know that Alpine fits. Another nice option is the Kenwood Excelon XR400-4, it fits with room to spare without moving anything.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:01 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

^^ Both these posts are good info. My amp is in the trunk under a hinged panel, very nicely done, but I lose 3-4" of precious storage space.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:09 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best under seat amp [fosgate] arrangement i've seen is from Pilotjosh - check it out.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:56 PM
fullbooker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also installed the Kenwood Excelon XR400-4 in place of my Nokia Hi-FI under the passenger seat. It fit with room to spare. Works great!
Phil
Old 11-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Carmen214
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a good route to run the power wire through the bulkhead without drilling a hole? I spent a little time looking and nothing obvious appeared and I wasn't ready to start tearing things apart just yet. I installed a set of Focal speakers in my doors a couple of months ago and I'm not too impressed but I think they just need more power than the head unit puts out.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:49 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carmen214
Is there a good route to run the power wire through the bulkhead without drilling a hole? I spent a little time looking and nothing obvious appeared and I wasn't ready to start tearing things apart just yet. I installed a set of Focal speakers in my doors a couple of months ago and I'm not too impressed but I think they just need more power than the head unit puts out.
I ran the power wire under the passenger foot well floor along an existing wiring harness then up the firewall and through an existing grommet to the frunk. The floor in the car is a custom formed foam rubber that is glued at the edges. It tends to crack or tear when one tries to peal loose the glue to get under it. In retrospect it would be neater to just cut it along its edges with a mat knife to get under it and the lay it back down and seal it with black duct tape.

Hope this help,
Andy
Old 11-07-2014, 10:00 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
I ran the power wire under the passenger foot well floor along an existing wiring harness then up the firewall and through an existing grommet to the frunk.
Hope this help, Andy
Andy, I don't know where the existing harness runs. Does that run along the center console to the firewall or along the outside near the rocker panel? And I assume seat removal is a must for access.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:42 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 309 Posts

I have a Rockford Fosgate amp- 75W per channel, 4 channel amp under the passenger seat. it required moving the CC box over, but it fits great and has plenty of power. I replaced the JVC head unit with a new Sony unit this summer and MAN- way better. It has a "virtual sub" feature that uses the rear speakers and it really helps the overall sound. I have ADS ( probably original equipment ) speakers int he back and Rockford Fosgates up front with the tweeter pods now holding the RF tweeters. All in, it sounds pretty good for a Porsche1
Old 11-07-2014, 10:46 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BradB
Andy, I don't know where the existing harness runs. Does that run along the center console to the firewall or along the outside near the rocker panel? And I assume seat removal is a must for access.
I ran it along the wiring harness under the floor along the right side of the passenger footwell. To change out the amp the seat has to be removed. The allen cap screws that hold the seat in are tight and the sockets on them are not very deep so I encourage the use of penetrating oil and to use care in fully inserting the allen wrench and holding it very square to the screw head to pop the screws loose.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Carmen214
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
I ran the power wire under the passenger foot well floor along an existing wiring harness then up the firewall and through an existing grommet to the frunk. The floor in the car is a custom formed foam rubber that is glued at the edges. It tends to crack or tear when one tries to peal loose the glue to get under it. In retrospect it would be neater to just cut it along its edges with a mat knife to get under it and the lay it back down and seal it with black duct tape.

Hope this help,
Andy
Thanks Andy. It's good to know there is a grommeted hole buried down there before I tear into this next project .

Quick Reply: Alpine Amp Fits Under Passenger Seat