Seat Decisions (revisited)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 12:00 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Seat Decisions (revisited)

I'll soon be springing on a set of seats to accomodate harnesses for use w/ DE's. It's now down to a decision between 3 different ones: Recaro Pole Positions, Recaro SPG's or the GT3 seats. First and foremost I'm looking for a seat that will keep me from moving around (my build is small, 5'7" and 160 lbs.), and then comfort level to last an entire weekend of driving.

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:19 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
I don't think you want Pole Positions...they are for the Big Guy, or possibly Nicole Bass. GT3 seats I have heard are are a bitch to install in a 993, but it can be done. Best bet, drag yourself over to a Race Shop that sells seats and sit in a few.

Lucky for you there are a bunch of guys in the Houston area, dyed in the wool Rennlisters (They are sleeping in today or have started their weekends early) that already have seats installed in their 993 cars.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:21 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Matt,
There is no other way of knowing what will fit than to just try some out. Find guys in your club that have the seats you mention and try them out. Maybe a local retailer will help you out also.

Another option, get one seat from a vendor and mount it and try it out. I would suggest a seat like the MOMO Acropolis 2 or Sparco EVO 2 for the passenger side so that instructors and rider with waists larger than 34" would be comfortable also.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:22 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Martin S.
GT3 seats I have heard are are a bitch to install in a 993, but it can be done.
Why do you say that? There is a GT3 seat that bolts right into the 993. You just need to order using the proper part number.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:34 PM
Aquarius
1st Gear

I had Recaro Sport seats installed back in 1999. Great lumbar support, light weight and they have provisions for DE seat belts.
Mine have heat and ventilation options and seem to work great for both street and DE events.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:30 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Matt,

Give me a shout if you go with the GT3's. I have already installed a set for a buddy.

Scott
Old 10-11-2002, 02:44 PM
JohnM
Racer

My vote is for the SPG, I find it fantastically comfortable and very supportive for road and track - have driven 450 miles in a day in it with absolutely no problems, in fact if I have an aching back when I get in it I'm cured when I get out
Old 10-11-2002, 10:30 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt, have you been to Pro-Am on Richmond? They're the only ones in town w. a selection you can test-drive your butt in. Don't know if they have the specific ones you mentioned above (though I *know* they couldn't have GT3 seats).

You can always test-drive my Recaro SRD, though I know it's not on your list.
Old 10-12-2002, 12:29 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Matt,
I had SRDs & Robert is right. They are GREAT combo street/track seats. I've got SPGs in the Super Cup. I'm 5'11" & 150 Lbs. They fit me like a glove but most of my buddies can't squeeze in to drive the car. (I'm really losing sleep over that one ) From what I read here in the past (& I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong) The GT3, SPG & Pole Position are all basically the same seat in different sizes. SPG being the smallest, GT3 in the middle & Pole Position being the largest. I have driven cars with Pole Positions & they are little loose on me for track use. Sit in a bunch & you might consider the SRD unless it's a pure track car. It's a great seat & shells can get a little old on the street. Good luck,
Jay

PS: TWS is hosting a Driver's Edge DE this weekend & I guarantee you that each seat mentioned will be out there plus some damn fast cars/drivers. If you can cut loose, go check it out.
Old 10-12-2002, 01:12 AM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

All good suggestions guys. I've tried Pro-Am and they actually had NO Recaro's on the floor at all. The salesman I talked to actually said they "weren't getting any more of them in". I did sit in what I think was a Momo Acropolis, which seemed like a fine fit. I went by Sam Shalala's shop to see if I could find SOMETHING but those guys are ALWAYS at lunch! I prefer Recaro's which are what the factory went with. How can ya go wrong there? As for SRD's, yes I realize they are probably a better fit for combined street / track work, but if I'm going to take this serious (and I think I am), I'm not going to take multiple steps. I can just see myself purchasing a racing shell a few DE's on down the line, replacing what I had just bought.

I'm sure someone else is / has been in the same predicament!
Old 10-12-2002, 01:40 AM
kary993
Drifting

Matt,

If you are serious sbout DE/TT's I am with you as far as getting a seat that is useful for "real" driving. I went the same route and am very happy with the result. I am somewhat unhappy with the ability to drive my car on the street (not because of the seat but performance relative to other street cars) so the discomfort for daily driving is not that great for me, but you should take that into account. Some of these seats are not that comfortable, but then, I do not not have any cushions in at all to accommodate my height (long torsoe). BTW, I have Sparco Evo II's (6'-3" with 7'-1" body length, short legs!).
Old 10-12-2002, 01:55 AM
Jerry Ljung
Advanced

I second the idea of going to an event and actually sitting in a bunch of seats. If you think you can live with the nuisance of a shell, try a Sparco Pro2000. They will keep a smaller frame absolutely put. An evo for the passenger side is not a bad idea, however. (I decided the heck with it, and put a matching 2000 on the shotgun side.)

Best,
Old 10-12-2002, 03:33 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Re. the GT3 seats and Vikens question, "Why do you say that? There is a GT3 seat that bolts right into the 993. You just need to order using the proper part number."

I am pleased to hear that the proper part numbers are all I need. Viken, could you share those with
us please?
Old 10-12-2002, 10:42 AM
FELKER
Racer

Matt,

I never installed the 996 version of GT3 seats... sent them back..got tired of waiting for the back ordered adaptors from RECARO.

If you search the archieve under my name and "GT3" you will find where I posted the part numbers for the 993 version of the GT3 seats.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:08 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Martin:
I am pleased to hear that the proper part numbers are all I need. Viken, could you share those with us please?
Here you go:

http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ul...c&f=3&t=002246

Quick Reply: Seat Decisions (revisited)