Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Would this bother you? Or is it just me

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 06:16 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a good idea if all else fails, since the shop said they will give it a shot to try and remove it i dont want to deface it any more then i already did. If they return the glass i rather it not be black with sharpie haha.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:48 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 634 Posts

this was my thought also. just take a sharpie, run it over it and wipe the excess. this way the markings stay in place, but would probably be far less obvious. that white would annoy me also.

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Did you try the Sharpie? I thought that was a good idea.

Regards,

Old 10-17-2014, 09:49 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sharpies end up purple when you want them to be black. Get the right glass.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:57 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell yes that would bother me.

Buy a used one of the right type and return it and the car to the place that installed that and ask them to install the matching one.

No sense having something little like that bother you on your baby.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:58 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shop may change it for you at your expense and inconvenience.
How much are you willing to pay to not have the required safety glass details on your car.

Personally, if i was the shop owner i would refer you to a good psychologist - you'll get over it.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:24 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 588 Likes on 374 Posts

No way I could live with one piece of glass not matching the rest. I would change it even if it meant coming out of my own pocket.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

WWAD?

(What Would Andreas Do?)
Old 10-18-2014, 02:30 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by x50type
Personally, if i was the shop owner i would refer you to a good psychologist - you'll get over it.

I would imagine when someone is paying good money to get something fixed so that it is restored to it's previous condition, it should be restored to it's previous condition. There's nothing crazy or strange about that expectation.

Granted, it's a small detail, but this piece of glass isn't the same as the one that was in there before. The owner of the car had a rightful expectation that it would be.

The idea that the owner of the car should "get over it" and somehow needs a shrink is not only offensive, it's exactly why there is no customer service, no pride in workmanship and a constant lowering of standards and craftsmanship among the workforce these days. Shops count on your attitude to get by with delivering shoddy work. They know people with your perspective will take less than what they are rightfully entitled to.

I would suggest you raise your standards rather than suggest that someone needs to see a shrink when they maintain their higher, and rightful, standards
Old 10-18-2014, 03:09 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
WWAD?

(What Would Andreas Do?)
FOWG.

Either find the correct new replacement without the markings so glaringly obvious, or source a used piece from a dismantler. While I understand the markings are required, the position of these would be annoying.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I would imagine when someone is paying good money to get something fixed so that it is restored to it's previous condition, it should be restored to it's previous condition. There's nothing crazy or strange about that expectation.

Granted, it's a small detail, but this piece of glass isn't the same as the one that was in there before. The owner of the car had a rightful expectation that it would be.

The idea that the owner of the car should "get over it" and somehow needs a shrink is not only offensive, it's exactly why there is no customer service, no pride in workmanship and a constant lowering of standards and craftsmanship among the workforce these days. Shops count on your attitude to get by with delivering shoddy work. They know people with your perspective will take less than what they are rightfully entitled to.

I would suggest you raise your standards rather than suggest that someone needs to see a shrink when they maintain their higher, and rightful, standards

+162435

Andreas
Old 10-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Originally Posted by x50type
How much are you willing to pay to not have the required safety glass details on your car.
Have things changed that much in this regard since 1995-1998? We are talking about the front quarter glass. Mine doesn't have the stamp on those pieces of glass. The other's do and they are black.

On a dark car it would stick out like a sore thumb, in fact, since it is so obviously different then the others it could affect resale value IMO as these cars are getting expensive and people seem to be more forgiving on excellently and professionally repaired damage.

Again IMO, this blatant repair lends to not caring about the details. I would question what other details were left go during the repair, even if the rest was done perfectly.

I think the OP should expect the car to be as it was before. It's their right.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:50 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked the other side glass on the passenger side. And there's is the logo in black on the bottom like the rest of the car. Didn't notice it before but it's there. I looked on ebay there is a couple used ones of them that i wouldn't mind being used if it's in good condition. I will mention it to the shop monday.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:21 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unlikely you'll get credit for the glass you scraped at and modified now. I would expect the labor, if you pay for the correct glass. If you hadn't modified the glass the you'd be home free.

Good luck
Old 10-19-2014, 03:48 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

OP - see William Shakespeare,s play #18.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche
Sharpies end up purple when you want them to be black.
this ^^^
Old 10-19-2014, 09:55 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get the glass changed no question about it. Attention to detail should certainly matter for all facets of the repair and the glass etching and its location is no exception. Good luck in your discussions with the repair facility.

Quick Reply: Would this bother you? Or is it just me