997 C2S vs. 993 C2S...... need advises

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:39 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by eso1968
Hi Guys,

I guess this topic might have been discussed quite number of times in the past. However, I need some of you guys advises based on the topic shown.

I am currently driving a (2005) 997 C2S Tiptronic which is in a relatively good condition, low mileage. I have owned the car for a few years and recently I have been offered by a good friend of mine with a (1997) 993 C2S Tiptronic (Turbo Body). As per my yesterday's inspection, the car has no accident record, has been almost completely overhaul (engine & body work), new suspension, exhaust, brakes, etc.

I understand that 993 especially S model is or can be more collectible compare to 997 which seems to be depreciating still. The problem is I have been thinking over and over again over the last 2 days whether or not I should give up my 997 which is a good daily car for this 993 S which I like very much but considering with less comfort. Besides, the asking price for this 993 is quite high, approx. same price tag as what I can get from selling my 997.

Can anyone of you with good experiences on 993 give me some ideas to further decide? I have never driven or owned a 993 before and have no idea basically on comparison between these 2 cars.

Thank you

Eric
We own both 09 2S, 96 4S.
I'd dump the 997 before selling the 993 if I still wanted to keep any one Porsche.

send me your email and I'll send you a copy of my thoughts comparing
993 / 996 GT3 / 09 2S / 07 GT3 / 14 Cayman that I've either owned or driven.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:37 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should really drive a 993. It's not an easy car to live with.

- It is small and cramped
- Clutch can be heavy and at an odd angle
- Brake pedal is different height than accelerator so thing may feel weird
- It is noisy
- It is slow compared to the 997
- AC is non-existent. You can't even direct the air to your face b/c the vents don't swivel that far.
- Steering is jigly and goes light (traditional 911 steering feel).
- Good luck trying to find a place to stow your coffee
- Depend on the car, but air cooled 911 interior have that 'air cooled 911' smell
- Your wife/gf/children will complain you smell like the car or oil after driving it (again, that air-cooled smell)..They will also complain that you are obsessed with the car.
- They (and you) will faint upon seeing the service and repair costs.

Last edited by axl911; 10-15-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:28 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

A 993 is certainly not everybody's cup of tea, but I at some of these oft-cited negatives about the 993. Admittedly, it's likely because I've been driving old 911s for so long that I forget what modern amenities are like. Nonetheless, here's what I'd say to these things:

Originally Posted by axl911
- It is small and cramped
It's not a GT car, that's for sure. And I would never call it spacious. Perhaps it's because I'm only 5'6", but I've never felt "cramped" in the driver's seat. I've also never felt cramped on road trips with a passenger next to me. I'd call it cozy, not cramped.

- Clutch can be heavy and at an odd angle
The floor-hinged element is something to get used to, sure. But I've never found my clutch to be unnervingly heavy. I think I'm in the minority here.

- Brake pedal is different height than clutch so thing may feel weird
Now this one I strongly disagree with. The only resounding feeling I have related to braking in my 993 is the I feel when getting on them, especially with the big reds.

- It is noisy
Guilty as charged.

- It is slow compared to the 997
Guilty as charged again.

- AC is non-existent. You can't even direct the air to your face b/c the vents don't swivel that far.
I see everybody say this. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've been in 100 degree heat in SoCal and found the A/C in my 993 to be totally adequate. You're not exactly cooling down a large cabin. I've never once longed for better A/C in my 993, but again I seem to be in the minority here.

- Steering is jigly and goes light (traditional 911 steering feel).
Some people complain that 993 steering is numb, particularly relative to older 911s w/o power assists. I actually like the steering in every 911 I've driven (haven't driven a 991 yet). You always know where you're placing a 911. Feedback is fine from my POV.

- Good luck trying to find a place to stow your coffee
I can't imagine turning down a 993 because the lack of a manufacturer-installed cup holder. You can easily fit plenty of aftermarket cup holders in a 993.

- Depend on the car, but air cooled 911 have that 'air cooled 911' smell
This is a negative? I can't imagine anybody *not* liking the smell of these cars.

- Your wife/gf/children will complain you smell like the car or oil after driving it..
This is a stretch.

They will also complain that you are obsessed with the car.
Absolutely!

- They (and you) will faint upon seeing the service and repair costs.
They will? It's not a Honda but it's also not a Ferrari. The OP is coming from a 997, I can't imagine 993 ownership costs will scare him too much. Mods are another story...

Quick Reply: 997 C2S vs. 993 C2S...... need advises