Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you track your 993?
Never - car is too valuable
22.58%
Never - I have a better suited track car, wouldn't think of it
6.45%
Not yet - may try a DE event soon
20.97%
DE or track days - yes, but just once and a while
27.42%
DE or track days - 8 days on track per year or more
18.55%
Race - car is prepared, race use only
4.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

So - How many of us track our 993's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 12:48 AM
JeffDC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool What Martin said!

Originally Posted by Martin S.
*** Only for emissions testing, and that is only when I have put the stock cat on and am going in for the car's emissions testing. The car is insured for the street. The only "illegal" aspect I suppose, no air bags and no stock seat belts.

The 996 should be faster….DOHC, VarioRam, VarioCam, water cooled, but I don't want one, never will, they are soul-less IMHO. And they have a terrible reputation for "grenading" their motors.

993 is clearly old school…to make them go really fast, you have to drive the wheels off them, or so I am told, or as rumor has it.

A few years back I had the opportunity to drive a friends nearly stock 993 on the track, it has Bilsteiin HDs and anti-roll bars, that's it. I couldn't believe how well it handled…it did everything right.

My point, you can easily throw $25,000 + at the car for all sorts of trick stuff. Don't ask me how I know this For all this investment, the car is quicker, corners a bit better, than stock…and some might wonder, was it worth it?. Well it is/was for me and I enjoy the hell out of my 993 track car. Wouldn't change a thing.
What Martin said!

I've poured stupid sums into my beloved, flood titled 993 and I don't regret a penny of it. I track the car as often as my schedule allows and drive it as hard as my talent (or lack thereof) will permit. The car just has soul and loves to be driven.

One of the greatest joys for me is learning to trust in and "listen" to the car. Our 993's are great teachers and I still have a lot to learn. As long as that continues, I'll keep at it.

It's funny, I do mostly HPDEs and open track days and I'm usually the only guy there with an air cooled car (and, unless the Miatas are there, usually among the slowest). People are constantly coming up to me and telling me how great these cars are, that they love seeing (and hearing it) on track, and that they wished they had one. I don't get it; most of these guys are driving new, computer controlled, 400 hp cars that cost multiples of what a nice 993 costs. Hmmm...

They may pass me on the straights, but can they see me smile as they go by?...

Whatever you do with your 993, have fun!
Old 10-14-2014, 02:22 AM
Eric in SD
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Which are all near non-existent risks/costs at the beginner/low intermediate level. And completely outweighed by becoming even minimally experienced in the chassis dynamics of the car.
My sentiments exactly Ken. Heading to my second beginner DE weekend event in a few weeks. My goal is to learn to drive the proper line and understand the handling characteristics of my 993 with an instructor in the passenger seat to guide me. I may get signed off for "solo". And then I may never take the 993 to the track again. (Or then again, maybe I will.) But I will be a better driver and know at what speed what the 993 can be reasonably driven by me on a twisty road and still stay on the tarmac. The limits of this little car are too high to safely learn on a public street.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:59 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

I use to track my 993 with the local high end clubs. Unlike NASA the field was mellow and I felt safe putting my car out there. As I started to progress in speed I found myself wanting more safety and track specific mods. When I considered the cost of Motons/Cage/monoballs etc and the degradation of street manners I knew it was time for something else. I was impressed when I drove a spec Miata. I thought one of these with some more HP would be just the ticket. The clincher was when I priced out repair parts vs the 993.

I have been known to get a bit OCD during a build. The Miata was no different. I am all in for under 30k. (was 23k till I opted for a build forged motor). It weights 1,950lbs and makes 300whp. Runs on E85 ($3.25 per gallon), Brake pads are $125. Hoosier slicks are $1,200 a set, used trans $800. These are old pics. The car is painted flat black now. You will see me running time trials with NASA at Sonoma most of the time.

Best run to date is a 1:41.6 at Sonoma (aka Infineon) with my friend Dean Thomas driving.

The Miata is soooo neutral in handling. It really teaches you great driving skills. With anything north of 250hp they are track monsters.

Attached Images    
Old 10-14-2014, 12:27 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

^^^^^^^ Now there's a Miata that will likely never get the dreaded "What a cute car!" comment.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:55 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Reminds me of something from yesteryear:
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Reminds me of something from yesteryear:
Ohh man, I saw that race. I must be getting old.

That weekend at Elkhart, Ford gave all the workers and volunteers Mustang GTP hats. Very cool, but never managed to score one.

Oops -- back to our topic -- Miatas as race cars.... I mean tracking our 993s
Old 10-14-2014, 02:58 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

[Quote]Oops -- back to our topic -- Miatas as race cars.... I mean tracking our 993s[Quote]

Well, can always trot this one out for about the 50th time:

Old 10-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I prefer to dance (HPDE) with the one I fell for (993), not the latest best dancer (which changes yearly), as my HPDE skills have yet to reach the full capabilities of the car (993), so it is all smiles per mile.

At HPDE's there can always be someone more talented , someone more experienced, and someone who can write bigger checks for newer / "better" toys.

At HPDE's the goal should be safe fun, measuring yourself and your car against yourself, not those around you. And as Ken mentioned, finding a hot shoe to base line your car at your home track and confirm your set up is not contributing to bad habits.

Hope to see more 993s at HPDE track events.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:14 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
At HPDE's there can always be someone more talented , someone more experienced, and someone who can write bigger checks for newer / "better" toys.
Well said.. I think that get lost a lot....

As others have said with regard to "hurting" your car... If you've never done a DE, go, take your 993 out a couple of times... If you get hooked and want to start getting closer to 10/10th.. Then you need to evaluate your appetite for risk is and how safe you feel in a street car.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:53 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I started DEs with a 993 convertible. I good buddy needed to convince me because I was in the "never ever" category. It was so much joy for me to really learn what I can do with this car in a safe environment and the learning curve was steep!

After I got hooked I did not want to get a roll bar into it and looked for another car. I looked at 996 and 986 and ended up with a nicely modded 993 C4S, that I "stole" from a rennlister 5 years ago ...

I am enjoying every minute on the track with it because it gives me a pleasure in a safe environment that I could never get in public traffic. BTW, I had my biggest incident on public streets when I can into a full spare wheel on a highway with no chance to safely drive around it ...
Old 10-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Well said.. I think that get lost a lot....

As others have said with regard to "hurting" your car... If you've never done a DE, go, take your 993 out a couple of times... If you get hooked and want to start getting closer to 10/10th.. Then you need to evaluate your appetite for risk is and how safe you feel in a street car.
And it doesn't hurt that my fulltime HPDE 993 (Silver '97) is Harvey's past 993 RS project, so she has way more capabilities then my meager talent has yet to master.

And as others have mentioned, she will still turns heads in the paddock.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

[QUOTE=race911;11722548][Quote]Oops -- back to our topic -- Miatas as race cars.... I mean tracking our 993s

Well, can always trot this one out for about the 50th time:

Following 997 GT3.mov - YouTube
Ken I must have forgotten that one - classic - do you know the GT3 driver?

Curious as to what exactly they thought they were doing.

When you see corner entry AND exit speed differential that severe, compared to a much more capable platform, it starts to get needlessly dangerous. Just my opinion.

Unless you've pre agreed with a buddy to play a game of "You drive the really fast car slowly and in my way for 10 laps because I like cleaning rubber off my hood"...

We don't really see that much in the DE group I run with. Then again, I am the slow guy.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:38 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

^
This is a perfect example of a someone thinking that putting a distance between you and another car on the straight means you are faster. I have not run DE with any PCA region that tolerates this kind of lack of on-track awareness.

Things could happen on track, as they can off track. However, having (actually, my better half does) a 964 with 100XXX and a 993 race car, we obviously love to drive these cars as they were build to do.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:46 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Matt Lane;11726227][QUOTE=race911;11722548]
Oops -- back to our topic -- Miatas as race cars.... I mean tracking our 993s

Ken I must have forgotten that one - classic - do you know the GT3 driver?

Curious as to what exactly they thought they were doing.

When you see corner entry AND exit speed differential that severe, compared to a much more capable platform, it starts to get needlessly dangerous. Just my opinion.

Unless you've pre agreed with a buddy to play a game of "You drive the really fast car slowly and in my way for 10 laps because I like cleaning rubber off my hood"...

We don't really see that much in the DE group I run with. Then again, I am the slow guy.

Got a couple of PM/emails on this, so here goes.

Yes, seems like there are always new guys around where I go back to Square One to explain.

1. This was a private rental day. Open track, run what you brung.

2. I'd not met Mr. 997 GT3 before that day. He was a new Thunderhill tenant a few doors down from (my former) garage.

3. Someone told him I had "700HP" in my car. Hence, he figured I'd just blow by.

4. I set this up by timing my out lap. Reason? Well........ He had Van Overbeck up with him, and earlier on I let him go between T1 and T2 in the Spec Miata. Imagine my surprise when I hung with him through T6.

5. You can see me desperately trying to warm my fronts on the out lap. These were 5 year old (but relatively new) RA1s that were a bum deal via a friend. Oh well.

6. Laps here are about 4 sec off what I did later in the day, and that was about 1 sec off the best I can do with RA1s.

7. All the gassing when I'm tucked in behind was I guess me thinking he was going to "go" off the corners. Shows you can lift throttle a "911" without ill effect.

8. The GT3 was a massaged car similar to my 993--revised gears, remote reservoir dampers, stiff springs, but street tires as he corded a slick earlier.

9. All in all, it's pretty typical of how I run. I expect maximum situational awareness, and am not afraid to set up passes. No different than in a race/qual session.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:02 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
^
This is a perfect example of a someone thinking that putting a distance between you and another car on the straight means you are faster. I have not run DE with any PCA region that tolerates this kind of lack of on-track awareness.
Make no mistake that my on track behavior is wholly different at a club event. (Which I think I've done as a paid entrant maybe twice in the last 15 years?)

And to reiterate--GT3 guy was under the mistaken belief I could blast by him any time. So he was aware of me.

Quick Reply: So - How many of us track our 993's?