Sponsored by:

Clutch Engages Late - sign of wear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 04:17 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Post Clutch Engages Late - sign of wear?

I am looking at a '97 cab with 70K miles. The clutch seems to engage very high (the last 5 inches of travel). Is this normal or a sign of a worn clutch. I didn't notice any slipping but am wondering if this is a symptom of wear or some other problem? I was told that the clutch was adjustable in that the engagement point could be adjusted lower - is this true?

I will have a thorough PPI done if I decide to move forward but for now just trying to get my ducks in a row.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:48 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

The hydraulic clutch system used in the 993 is not adjustable, the only thing that's adjustable in the clutch system is the primary spring assist tension adjustment screw on the clutch pedal travel itself. And the only purpose for that adjustment is to have a seemless transition for the 2nd half of the clutch pedal travel. The clutch pedal is designed where the 1st half of travel you are fighting against the spring tension on the pedal cluster area, the 2nd half of the travel travel is fighting against the tension of the clutch pressure plate.

It is not very accurate to determine the amount of clutch that's left by the point of clutch engagement in a hydraulic based clutch system used in a 993.

Your only sure sign would be slipperage.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:25 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So what accounts for the variety of engagement points. In searching the archives I have seen that some seem to engage near the top and others closer to the bottom or middle - what accounts for the difference?

Quick Reply: Clutch Engages Late - sign of wear?