Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's this disconnected wiring harness in my door?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 04:55 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default What's this disconnected wiring harness in my door?

After I removed the driver's side door pocket I found this wiring harness just sitting there atop the speaker box (I have the hi-fi option). Anyone know what this is? I'm feeling an urge to plug something into it...
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2003, 05:37 PM
ksimpson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could possibly be for the digital sound option? From what I'm aware, it has the controller in the drivers arm rest. Not sure if Porsche wire for this as standard on all cars.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:40 PM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

It's for the Digital Sound Processor (DSP) remote if you have the DSP option.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:02 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DSP

Eric,

I think Ken and Keith are right. That plug sits directly below the Nokia DSP unit (which, BTW, is just about useless - like the Nokia amp under the passenger seat).

Old 08-17-2003, 12:26 AM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)

Eric:

If you feel the need to plug something in, SunCoast has a few DSPs left for around $80. The original price was somewhere around $1,900 - gasp. I agree with Anir that it is useless at $80, let alone $1,900. I bought it because I needed a replacement amp for my sorry OEM HI FI system.

Anir:

I've admired your car for a few months now - back when you had the 993 turbo sport seats. It looks like it has every conceivable option. Do you really have leathered covered window switches? The MSRP on your car must have been stratospheric.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steven,

Thank you for the kind words.

I purchased my 993 second-hand when it was 3 years old. When I called PCNA to get the Kardex, the Porsche rep commented that the car had about $30,000 in options - mostly interior upgrades. Glad I didn't have to pay for them.

It has a Turbo S interior, and maybe more. There's leather on literally every switch on the doors and dash, and also on all the vents blades and vent dials. It also had every CF option except the handbrake tray, which I added.

When I started shopping, I knew I wanted a silver on red car. I never expected to luck across one that was so fully loaded.

The most interesting footnote: the car was owned by Ferrari of Houston before I bought it! Funny, aye?
Old 08-17-2003, 03:42 PM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)

Hey Anir:

I think $30k is conservative. I've seen the price list on some of the options that you and I share, such as leathered covered speaker grills, etc... The prices truly reflect the hand built nature of the car. I noticed you have a leather covered light switch, ignition ring, steering wheel cover, turn signal indicators - and yet the interior looks new from the photos. I use Lexol which doesn't seem to last long. I've seen in other threads that you use something else. Does it satisfy the leather's thirst for more than a month.

Btw, your CF handbrake tray was a wise choice; my leather covered tray is delaminating - looks a bit like a trampoline. Now I'm in search of a robust glue.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:40 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steven,

As a boot product, the Bick 4 leather conditioner seems to offer long-lasting protection. Nonetheless, I tend to re-do the leather every 3 months or so. Probably overkill, but the car's unfortunately parked outside at my office all day.

Your car looks sharp in the avatar.

Quick Reply: What's this disconnected wiring harness in my door?